Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker
Toronto has lots of taxis in certain places because there are lots of offices, entertainments, hotels and residences compressed. There are issues with multiple classes of medallions (human rights complaint on racial discrimination of all things).
Sure, taxis would be great to fix. But it is worth the political capital to fix it, especially when by the end of the decade the problem may have fixed itself?
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker
^ Calgary had an over supply of medalions, I don't think we are under served per capita compared to Toronto and others, but I could be wrong. (remember for comparisons that Toronto's ambassador class medlions are only allowed on the road 12 hours a day)
|
I think you actually nailed it in the first comment. Yes, Calgary might have a comparable number of taxis where there's lots of busineses/hotels/houses compressed. The key is ALL of 'old toronto" is like that, and hence it seems like there are loads of taxis everywhere in Toronto, because there is, whereas the only parts of Calgary similar is the centre city and perhaps one community adjacent to it.
I think per capita isn't a useful comparison, as imagine this ridiculous scenario, where Calgary is the size it is now, but only has 1000 people all living on acreages. If that Calgary only had one taxi, it might be ahead of the game 'per capita' compared to Toronto, but the service would be much worse. Per capita makes partial sense, but it fails to take into account that the less dense the city is, the longer rides are likely to be. I would guess (and this is just a guess), that most cab rides in Toronto are under 10 mins. I wouldn't expect that to be the case here.
I supposed the best metric would be average wait per taxi call / hail attempt, as that is really what anyone cares about.