Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa
Well here's the lastest in the Bike share project, Looks like it'll be Alta. Reading the presentation it seems quite weak compared to most city reports, also it wasn't released until just now the day of the council meeting which isn't like the city. Looks like they are aiming for 1500 in 125 stations and only the area around d/t and the Broadway corridor.
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/20120613/documents/ptec1presentation.pdf
|
The Report was a bit confusing (to me, at least) on the funding issue. I thought it was made pretty clear that the City (ie. the taxpayer) wouldn't be footing the bill for this. The Report seems to suggest otherwise. Am I misreading it? If this thing is going to be paid for by the taxpayer, even in part, I think that should be made clear.
Edited to add the quote from the recent Metro article, linked earlier in this thread:
Quote:
|
Whoever wins the contract, one thing is certain: They will be footing the bill for the capital and operating costs. The city and TransLink are only going to provide things like space for stations, marketing and communications support, and permitting support and costs.
|
The Report seems inconsistent with that, in that it suggests that the taxpayers will be funding at least some of the capital costs.
I also found it interesting that theft and vandalism were not considered to be risks. Seems optimistic. Still, as long as the City (ie. the taxpayer) isn't paying for the system, I don't much care one way or other.