HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I know I know NYC is the greatest city there ever was, ever will be, etc and nothing, especially lowly Houston should be mentioned in the same breath. Glad to see elitism and snobbery are still alive and well on the east coast.
Damn right...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
The two New Yorkers who have posted in this thread have poorly represented NYC. I've found NYC to be quite friendly. But there are always bad apples (pun intended!).
Just let it go...and walk away. End.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
People who bash usually have some insecurities. I like some of those projects especially the building with the wood and metal panels. There are some similar buildings in Chicago.
Thanks for the comments. And yes the insecurities are quite obvious.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 8:58 PM

People comparing cities that have 5 million vs. THIRTY MILLION PEOPLE in their metro areas sound profoundly retarded, especially when pitting both cities against each other. A couple of you have never even been to Houston. Wow.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'm sure it's very nice, but don't mention Houston and Tokyo in the same sentence.
I can mention both since I've lived in both, you urban purist dork.

You know why there are 'mingling crowds' of people in Tokyo and not Houston?

BECAUSE TOKYO IS EXTREMELY CROWDED. This is not always a good thing... oh how I learned to appreciate the almost luxurious space Houston has while still containing everything I love about any city ('cept the public transport). If I had to live in Japan again, I'd much rather settle in Osaka/Kyoto or even Hiroshima (gorgeous city)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I can mention both since I've lived in both, you urban purist dork.

You know why there are 'mingling crowds' of people in Tokyo and not Houston?

BECAUSE TOKYO IS EXTREMELY CROWDED. This is not always a good thing... oh how I learned to appreciate the almost luxurious space Houston has while still containing everything I love about any city ('cept the public transport). If I had to live in Japan again, I'd much rather settle in Osaka/Kyoto or even Hiroshima (gorgeous city)
You raise good points, although the public transport is getting better. The downtown to med center rail line has been very successful and other lines are currently being built.

All those downtown festivals and others around the city do tend to bring out a lot of mingling crowds of different cultures (a lot more than in the past, anyway). And it only gets better with time.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'm sure it's very nice, but don't mention Houston and Tokyo in the same sentence.
United has a non-stop flight from Houston to Tokyo.

I have visited both Houston and Tokyo.

Tokyo and Houston both have many skyscrapers.

The University of Houston has played two football games in Tokyo.

People in Tokyo and Houston are less conceited than poser posters on this website.

There are 5 sentences with "Houston" and "Tokyo" in them.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:32 AM
Future God

Great set. I love Houston and all it's quirks. I understand completely what everyone is saying about the gates, power lines etc. On a development by development basis, I'd be opposed to those things, but for some reason when it comes to Houston, I kind of like it. It just adds to the quirky, unique, eclectic, organized chaos that makes Houston unique. It's definitely not 'just another sunbelt metropolis'.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:52 AM
lite

Never been to Houston. These pics make me want to visit.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Great set. I love Houston and all it's quirks. I understand completely what everyone is saying about the gates, power lines etc. On a development by development basis, I'd be opposed to those things, but for some reason when it comes to Houston, I kind of like it. It just adds to the quirky, unique, eclectic, organized chaos that makes Houston unique. It's definitely not 'just another sunbelt metropolis'.
I like that, too. And every time I visit something else has changed. Never a dull moment.

Just as an aside, one can go on Google Street View and see power line chaos in most U.S. cities, at least in the older parts. Newer suburbs, including Houston's, often have buried lines. I like to remind forumers that what is shown in photos reflects the interest of the photographer. Some posters will focus on fences and gates, giving forumers the impression that all houses have them. Others focus on grit, others on newer, less interesting areas. Others like power lines. Only those who have actually explored and experienced a city really know what it's like. Most are surprised when they find out there's more to a city than what is posted in SSP or elsewhere.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 6:58 AM

BUMP!

I been reading and lurking for years and finally decided to join. This is my favorite Houston thread! although there are many great ones on here. Quick question, where exactly are those warehouse converted apartments and what would rent look like for something like that? also, name?

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 2:07 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
4? Shit, Houston House is completely surrounded by parking lots. Its like a ghost town around here.
I know. Thats why I hate to see old historic housing destroyed when there is plenty of prime real estate that could be developed in other areas. Houston House needs a taco joint across the street. It would make a killing.

My Book

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 2:43 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
I know. Thats why I hate to see old historic housing destroyed when there is plenty of prime real estate that could be developed in other areas. Houston House needs a taco joint across the street. It would make a killing.
Just don't toss beer bottles at it...

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 3:56 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Just don't toss beer bottles at it...
It would be more fun then.

My Book

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Kinda sad how brutal these townhouse main floors are... 'STAY THE F OUT'... unlike their much softer, friendlier, more thoughtful predecessors.
I enjoy the different architectural styles. Some of those modern homes are quite nicely done. But, man, the pedestrian experience sucks; it looks like there's a requirement that all garages be large enough for two cars. Between the garages and fences, it seems like there's still a strong suburban mentality.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 3:55 AM

Does anyone know what street this is?? or any of these streets??

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenate View Post

Does anyone know what street this is?? or any of these streets??
One is off Webster St at Genesee St and the other is off of Webster at Mason St.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I enjoy the different architectural styles. Some of those modern homes are quite nicely done. But, man, the pedestrian experience sucks; it looks like there's a requirement that all garages be large enough for two cars. Between the garages and fences, it seems like there's still a strong suburban mentality.
Personally, the pedestrian experience is appropriate. Don't really need large sidewalks if there's not going to be a lot of people on them. I generally ride my bike to get around Montrose because of the flat terrain and the street grid. With that said, these pictures were mostly of residential areas and I would certainly like to see better sidewalk and related infrastructure on the larger thoroughfares.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos