HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #821  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,134
Read this: http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/94177-halifax-couple-want-fix-for-dream-house-difficulty

Quote:
According to the Registry of Joint Stock Companies, Greater Homes Inc., which lists Saeid Saberi as president and director, has the same 380 Bedford Hwy. address as Greater Homes Realty Inc., whose president and director is Saeid’s brother, Navid.

Navid Saberi is the president and director of United Gulf Developments Ltd., which is also located at 380 Bedford Hwy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #822  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086
Is it possible this could implicate new ownership for the Skye Halifax site, at the very least?

Assuming Skye is dead -- what now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #823  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
Haliobserver Haliobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39

Yea these guys can make all the independent corporations they like. Everyone knows now that it's all the same thing with most of them being registered at the same address. Guess where United Gulf Developments is registered? Yep, 380 Bedford Highway.

Anyone who buys into Skye and United Gulf not being related to Greater Homes is covering their eyes. The pie may be sliced up, but it's still all the same pie.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #824  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
Haliobserver Haliobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Here is the real question. What councilor is going to vote for Skye after reading about what these guys just did with Greater Homes.

Last edited by Haliobserver; May 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #825  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 11:57 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,982
Councillors are supposed to make decisions based on the planning documents, and I don't think the MPS mentions a company's financial ability to see a project through to completion. If they torpedo a development for an invalid reason then their decision can be overturned at the NSUARB.

Legally I don't think the registered address makes any difference as far as the bankruptcy is concerned. I am not a legal expert but it seems unlikely to me that one company becomes liable for the other's debts if it shares the same address or if the owners are related. It's fine to speculate about what might happen to Skye, but speculation is all it is.

If Skye is cancelled then it won't necessarily be bad news for the downtown. We might actually see a building sooner if the site is sold off and developed under HbD rules. I'd be happy to see a 20 storey apartment building or mixed use building on that site with some storefronts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #826  
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 1:15 AM
spaustin's Avatar
spaustin spaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Posts: 706
Well that doesn't look good. Technically different companies with different individuals, but even with that technicalilty, Halifax is a small town. I imagine they'll find it more difficult to get financing for Skye now, if they can manage at all.

Last edited by spaustin; May 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #827  
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
Haliobserver Haliobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #828  
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 2:35 PM
Haliobserver Haliobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
From Nova Scotia Joint Stock Companies Registry:

Greater Homes Inc. - Saeid Saberi - 380 Bedford Highway
Greater Homes Realty - Navid Saberi - 380 Bedford Highway
United Gulf Developments - Navid Saberi - 380 Bedford Highway
Waterton Condominiums Inc. - Navid Saberi - 380 Bedford Highway
GNF Investments Ltd - Navid Saberi - 380 Bedford Highway
3105062 NS Ltd (Dream Home) - Navid Saberi - 380 Bedford Highway

But these are all independent companies right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #829  
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 8:50 PM
essaysmith's Avatar
essaysmith essaysmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HRM
Posts: 50
I don't think if Skye is cancelled it necessarily means the lot will be sold. I would like to see something finally happen there, but they have been sitting on that lot for years. Twisted Sisters, Skye, there'll be something else to get my hopes up next I'm sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #830  
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 9:00 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
I think that the quicker that this lot is sold the sooner a project will be proposed that will go forward. Maybe someone like Wadih Fares would be interested in buying it and developing the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #831  
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 9:04 PM
Waye Mason's Avatar
Waye Mason Waye Mason is offline
opinionated so and so
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that the quicker that this lot is sold the sooner a project will be proposed that will go forward. Maybe someone like Wadih Fares would be interested in buying it and developing the site.
Agreed. Fares or Joe Metledge or someone I am sure is salivating at the idea of buying the property... if there is some "public good" component and it fits HRMbD criteria that is 20 stories approved in two months... this is a great property to build on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #832  
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 11:31 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Agreed. Fares or Joe Metledge or someone I am sure is salivating at the idea of buying the property... if there is some "public good" component and it fits HRMbD criteria that is 20 stories approved in two months... this is a great property to build on.
there is a lot of other developers who would take this on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #833  
Old Posted May 27, 2012, 2:26 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,361
I'm all for more residential downtown, but I personally think it would be fun for this lot to get a 90m-110m office tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #834  
Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:39 PM
Haliobserver Haliobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
I saw over the last week or so at least 2 new lawsuits against the Waterton. I know there are still others ongoing. Saberi won't be able to keep doing this as eventually he will be backed up against a wall with judgements against his companies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #835  
Old Posted May 27, 2012, 9:52 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I'm all for more residential downtown, but I personally think it would be fun for this lot to get a 90m-110m office tower.
For whatever the demand is -- I would be happy with that development.

I want density for the downtown so badly.
If and when markets shift, existing buildings can always be modified and renovated -- but for now I simply want to see the extinction of vacant downtown sites and surface parking lots.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #836  
Old Posted May 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I want density for the downtown so badly.
If and when markets shift, existing buildings can always be modified and renovated -- but for now I simply want to see the extinction of vacant downtown sites and surface parking lots.
It is interesting how the old downtown area has seen much less development lately than just about everywhere else nearby (Spring Garden, North End, South End, Dartmouth).

Part of the issue is I guess it's just not that big, so if you get a couple stalled projects like United Gulf or the Nova Centre it looks like it is half parking lot. On top of that there are some very prominent publicly-owned lots that seem to be totally neglected. Land prices are high too because it seems everything is priced for an office tower, so there's a bias toward bigger projects that happen more slowly than the little projects in other parts of town.

The library site was a pretty prime lot that sat empty for 50+ years. Hopefully the positive change there indicates that we'll see some more changes in the future. Waterside and Barrington Espace are also important and a sign of improvement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #837  
Old Posted May 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,361
It was vacant for over 50 years???

Good lord...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #838  
Old Posted May 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
...so if you get a couple stalled projects like United Gulf or the Nova Centre it looks like it is half parking lot...
Not sure about anyone else, but I'd rather half parking lot than half looks-like-a-bombed-out-hole. (cf. Herald site, TexPark site, and until recently, the Waterside site.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #839  
Old Posted May 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,982
That site had some sort of historic navy-related house (built for an admiral or something?) from the 1700's. It was torn down in the 1950's and as far as I know that is how it remained until the library was built. I always figured something had been built more recently but I don't believe that is the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if the empty lot next to St. Mary's Basilica is similarly quite old. The lot by the Dominion Public Building dates to the 1950's as well.

The 1950-2000 era was not really a great time for old downtown districts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #840  
Old Posted May 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Waye Mason's Avatar
Waye Mason Waye Mason is offline
opinionated so and so
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That site had some sort of historic navy-related house (built for an admiral or something?) from the 1700's. It was torn down in the 1950's and as far as I know that is how it remained until the library was built. I always figured something had been built more recently but I don't believe that is the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if the empty lot next to St. Mary's Basilica is similarly quite old. The lot by the Dominion Public Building dates to the 1950's as well.

The 1950-2000 era was not really a great time for old downtown districts.
Well, empty but in use. The lot at Queen and SGR was a parking lot for TUNS (on one half) and SGR (on the other) and a summer event space for Jazzfest and that craft show among others. What enabled it to be developed was tearing down the Infirmary and Dal taking over Gerrard Hall and the parking around that space.

The lot next to Dominion Building was the loading bay for the post office sorting station until the 1980s, so it was in use. Ideal site for a AGNS expansion, IMO.

St Mary's lot was probably play area for the old St Mary's Boys School. This old picture shows the lot undeveloped.

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.