HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 3:07 AM

I am glad this was bumped or I would have missed it. Powerful stuff. I have never seen anything like this.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 9:35 PM

I missed this too last year. Glad it re-surfaced. Cheers for taking the time to detail your experience. An interesting read. I don't think I've ever really seen photos of South Dakota outside of Mt Rushmore. An eye opening thread. Great nature shots too.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 7:13 PM

Such an awesome thread. Im so glad this was resurrected

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:59 AM
Autrefois

Stunning work, Sasso!

I've never been to Pine Ridge even though I was born about 4 hours south of there (in North Platte, NE) and have been to the Black Hills many times. My wife grew up in spitting distance of the Res (Alliance, NE) and her step father lost 5 family members to a drunk driver while passing through. They were taking a "short cut" from Minneapolis to the Nebraska panhandle.

Gorgeous terrain. It's shocking to see what destitute lives go on there. A producer in LA hired me to write a script about the town of Whiteclay which exists only to sell liquor to Pine Ridge residents, as the reservation itself is dry. It's too bad nothing ever came of that.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 1:16 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

This thread clearly deserves a T-Rex in an F-14 stamp of approval.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/p...png?1318992465

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:27 PM

Anin!

Thank you for bringing light to Native issues. Living in Duluth, we are close to four Minnesota Native Reserves (Fond du Lac, Grand Portage, Red Lake & Boise Fort)...one thing that people tend to forget is...the old movies that glorify how respected the elders are, and how the tribe operates - is not accurate. The only difference between a place like Red Lake and Detroit, Phoenix, Chicago, Jersey City, etc., is that in those big cities, you are aware of the poverty, addictions, and quality of life. In the far north, nobody comes up here - these Native reserves are not on the way to anywhere, so nobody sees the neglect. The way in which the tribe is governed is as corrupt as the 'non-native government' - often there are a few people who are living incredibly well and a huge number living in mobile homes with no running water or electricity. But because most people have no money to leave, they are afraid to say anything about it, because they know everyone else will know they said it. So this continues, the people on the reserves oppress each other, and there is no change.

I feel that...the ability to retain Native languages is so important. I learned Ojibwe from a very respected elder who, after high school, told me how sad she felt when young 8th grade Native girls would tell her to 'f-off' and 'go to hell' - for my instructor, who, at 75, NEVER would have talked that way to an elder when she was a child, almost appeared to be giving up on this new generation of Native children. The lack of interest in cultural events and language. Because someday those children will be the elders, and without any preservation of language, that's a huge cultural loss.

Someday I will post my photos of Grand Portage. Definitely not on the same scale as Pine Ridge, but I do think that people forget that life goes on up here!

Migwetch, (thank you)
jonathan l.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 3:30 AM

Spike: I just can't take all this mamby-pamby boo-hooing about the bloody Indians.
Willow: Uh, the preferred term is...
Spike: You won. All right? You came in and you killed them and you took their land. That's what conquering nations do. It's what Caesar did, and he's not goin' around saying, "I came, I conquered, I felt really bad about it." The history of the world is not people making friends. You had better weapons, and you massacred them. End of story.
Buffy: Well, I think the Spaniards actually did a lot of - Not that I don't like Spaniards.
Spike: Listen to you. How you gonna fight anyone with that attitude?
Willow: We don't wanna fight anyone.
Buffy: I just wanna have Thanksgiving.
Spike: Heh heh. Yeah... Good luck.
Willow: Well, if we could talk to him...
Spike: You exterminated his race. What could you possibly say that would make him feel better? It's kill or be killed here. Take your bloody pick.
Xander: Maybe it's the syphilis talking, but, some of that made sense.

-Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I subscribe to Spike's view). Conquest is the way of the world. I refuse to feel bad about something that happened over a hundred years before I was born. Otherwise I would be waiting on an apology from the British, and the majority of us here should be apologizing to the Italians for destroying their Roman Empire. Also, I have never understood the reservation system. They claim they want to preserve their heritage, and I am sure many of them do, but they end up living like rednecks. You can't half ass Western Civilization. You are either all in, or live in a native dwelling with no pickup and hunt and gather. I even find the description of lifespans and "poverty levels" interesting. Those are Western ideals, not native. I am sure their average lifespan has increased since 1700 and they didn't have any greenbacks before.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 1:35 AM

Great pictures, better story.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:17 PM
furified freestyle

pardon the shameless bump here, but i guess i never did respond properly to the last set of comments.

duluthjon: thanks for the input. i grew up with three adopted ojibwes in my hometown in central pennsylvania, and they had a brother who was the only natural born son of the parents. now that we're all grown up, their lives are amazingly far flung: the natural (white) son is in the air force, one daughter is married to an army man and living in north carolina, the other daughter is living in winnipeg, and the other brother has moved back to the manitoba reserve from which the three were adopted.

as an aside, i am also a fan of albert "chief" bender, the ojibwe who came from minnesota, was "normalized" at the carlisle indian school, and played major league baseball with the philadelphia a's. the book 'chief bender's burden' is an excellent read, especially if you're interested in ojibwe history and affairs.

duluthjon also makes a good point that most of the reservations whose conditions are so despicable are essentially in the middle of nowhere, out of the sight of passersby who might take notice. pine ridge is in southwestern south dakota, far enough off the interstate that the people visiting mount rushmore and sturgis and the badlands wouldn't bother going the extra distance.

edsas: i'd love to hear more about that whitehall screenplay. despite the fact that it's across the border in nebraska, it plays a major role in the continued downfall of pine ridge. (and sorry to hear of your wife's family tragedy, god that's awful.)

ue: it's interesting to hear you parallel the conditions of canadian reserves to those in the states. i'd always been under the impression that things are considerably better in canada, though to what extent i couldn't say. i would like to visit the childhood friend on the manitoba reserve one day though.

thanks again, everyone.

ALSO: where the hell has expat been?

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:56 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post

I think Steve got a job finally.

My Book

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 7:05 PM

wow how did i miss this the first time. great (albeit a bit depressing) commentary and amazing images. I'd love to make it out to that part of the country one day. and i got a Buffy ref to boot!

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 7:32 PM
The Believer

Wow! I just saw this thread. Blown away. Crips and Bloods in South Dakota? That seems so strange to me.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 1:03 AM
Bah!

Beautiful!!! (but I wouldn't expect anything less from you Master Sasso) Great commentary also.

I'm glad you bumped this thread or I would have missed it completely.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 2:29 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/p...png?1318992465

Reminds me that I need to get back on the road.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post

I hope he wouldn't mind being described as part of the same tribe as myself...don't know...I was thinking about that the other day.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:45 AM
Corporate logo

I'd bang her.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:54 PM

!!!best thread of year!!!

...or, of 2010

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 9:57 PM

Great trip and info.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 12:08 AM
Eurosceptic

brilliant stuff, Sass

End