HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:56 AM

Robert Miles Parker 1939-2012

The New York Times ran Robert Miles Parker's obituary today (link here). His drawings of Manhattan architecture were famous, in NY, at least. I'd forgotten that he did a book on L.A....called L.A. Among the drawings in it are one of Dr. Moxley's Veterinary Clinic, which we saw recently here, and of the unfortunately abducted Chateau Elysee and the old Lincoln Hospital in Boyle Heights:

Pics: Drawings: Amazon; photos: Google Street View and Terraincognita

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
I mention this after having visited Lowe's paint department this afternoon, and shake my head in sadness every time I walk past the locked shelves containing the spray paint. (BTW - just curious....are spray paints locked up in other states? I visit other states, but rarely have cause to drop in the local Lowe's or Home Depot when I do.)
Chicago is even more strict than Los Angeles. Believe it or not, there has been an outright ban on spray paint since 1995.

http://urbancasita.com/tag/chicago-spray-paint-ban/

____

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:12 AM

[QUOTE=alanlutz;5683919]
View of Fort Moore Pioneer Memorial from south

photograph by alanlutz

below: Here is a similar view taken in 1954 when the massive 'waterfall' was first turned on. Notice that the monument is not quite finished.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1231

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
ethereal_reality, I was up early this morning for the Hollywood Farmer's Market, and decided to first send myself on a short reconnaissance mission to 5152 La Vista Court.

[source: me]

The lamp is still there, but it looks like the original glass has been replaced along with that spiky finial.

Jack London's visage is still there too, looking a bit weathered. This was the best shot I could get with my camera lens poking through a gap next to the gate.

I am SO happy that you took a little side trip down La Vista Court Handsome_Stranger!

I think it's great that the building still exists...but what a shame that they've obscured the entrance with that makeshift gate & wall.
And that red door on the second floor....what's that all about? This building is as intriguing today as it was 80 years ago.

Per my overnight 'googling'; a past tenant was the character actor Victor Buono, who was nominated for best supporting actor for his role
in 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' (1962).

By the way, that last photo of Jack London's sculptured likeness is priceless.

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 1, 2012 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
I have been trying to read that plaque for a better part of a year 3940dxer/David.

What do you think it means?

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 1, 2012 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
I don't know how many people here are fans of the video game LA Noire but I must say that it fills my need for Noirish LA nearly as much as this thread does (and trust me, that's high praise!).

I was pretty much floored by your beautiful screen-grabs of 'LA NOIRE' kznyc2k.

At first I was startled by the vivid color images..until I reminded myself that these images were truer to life than the black and white images
one usually correlates with 'film noir'.

I've never been a gamer, so it's hard for me to comprehend how this particular game works.
If I ever decide to explore the genre of computer games this will undoubtedly be my first choice. THX again for your post.

___

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:45 AM

Here is a great snapshot of Angels Flight circa 1950s. Notice the numerous television antennas on the rooftop of the taller building(s).
The residents might be tuning into 'Queen for a Day'....or if they have children 'Space Patrol'.

I should probably know, but what is the name of this tall building with bay windows towering over Angels Flight?

found on ebay

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 1, 2012 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:26 AM
You can call me David

The Malibu Nike Launch Site has been on my wish list for a while now. Yesterday we visited some adventurous friends in Topanga Canyon who were interested in seeing this odd bit of history in their back yard, so off we went.

Apparently, the Malibu Nike site was one of hundreds in the U.S. and was one of the very first ones. Like all Nike installations the launch and IFC (integrated fire control) sites were in different locations. In this case the launch site is at 1900 Rambla Pacifico and the IFC site is up a mile or so, near Mulholland, at 24666 W. Saddle Peak Rd.

(I don't know how the older B&W photos above relate to this place. They may be shots of the same location before it was partially dismantled and converted, or may be of the IFC facility up the hill, or may be a different facility altogether.)

We visited the launch site, which is now used by the L.A. County Fire Department. We had no idea what to expect but were given a friendly reception, and an informal but very interesting tour of the place. Here are some photos I took.

We passed by the more typical fire fighter's offices and equipment rooms near the entrance to the property and walked towards the edge of the hill where the 3 launch platforms were installed, pausing to admire this old sign:

Control tower overlooking the site:

One of the missile elevators, and the stairway leading down to the missile battery. The big round things are counterweights that make the doors easier to open. The firefighting helicopter was parked behind here:

The steel covers on the top of the missile elevator:

Opening the stairway door:

Looking down the stairway into the underground room. The missiles were stored here, the large elevator lifted them to the surface:

The former missile storage room is now a training room. The normally cheerful Mrs. 3940 eyes me warily -- probably because she didn't want to be in the photo. Too late.

The control box that operates the missile elevator, which still works:

One of the two hydraulic lifts that raise and lower the platform:

Luckily it was not a hectic afternoon for the firefights and one of the guys, who also was interested in the history of the place, took a few minutes to show us around. The hospitality was really appreciated. You could tell that the team was very professional and able.

All my photos.

Last edited by 3940dxer; May 1, 2012 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 6:15 AM

Did somebody mention Fort Moore Hill?
I was almost sure they did....

Most of us realize by now what it used to look like back in the 1800s and what it looks like now. Photos abound here.
Most of us know of battles and almost battles and of forts and such and probably also the old (almost) forgotten cemetery that "used" to be there where the high school now stands.

Maybe even some of us were paying attention when Gloria Molina was trying to get here Mexican cultural center properly built but ran into a slight snag when it was discovered that the old Plaza Church cemetery which was supposed to be empty turned out to be still occupied by the remains of some of the original Los Angeles Pobladores and "neophyte" Native Americans....much to her chagrin and inconvenience.

Quote:
"We at LA Plaza have decided to halt work on the former camposanto area of our campus indefinitely, in light of the unexpected number of human remains uncovered and their great historical significance," said Miguel Corzo, the CEO of LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes, in a statement.
http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_fo...um-halted.html

Since alanlutz (Thanks, Alan) posted those cool recent photos I'd like to bring up the subject of the old Fort Hill Cemetery again which by most accounts like the Plaza Church cemetery was never fully evacuated. It's pretty well understood that at least some of the old residents still abide there, buried under the school grounds.

If this was posted previously, forgive me, I missed it....which seems unlikely

Quote:
Cemetery

Part of Fort Moore Hill became home to a cemetery, with the first documented burial tracing back to December 19, 1853. Alternately known as Los Angeles City Cemetery, Protestant Cemetery, Fort Moore Hill Cemetery, Fort Hill Cemetery, or simply "the cemetery on the hill", it was the city's first non-Catholic cemetery.[7]

The cemetery was overseen by the city starting in 1869. It was not well taken care of, lacking clearly delineated boundaries, complete records or adequate maintenance. The Los Angeles City Council passed a resolution on August 30, 1879, closing the cemetery to any future burials except for those with already reserved plots. By 1884, the city had sold portions of the cemetery as residential lots and the rest to the Los Angeles Board of Education (later the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD)).
The city never removed any bodies, and the former cemetery was the site of repeated, grisly findings and much negative press. As a result, the city began moving the bodies, most to Evergreen Cemetery, Rosedale Cemetery and Hollywood Memorial Park Cemetery, with the final bodies being transferred in May 1947. The recent construction of Los Angeles High School #9 resulted in the discovery of additional human remains. These were excavated by archaeologists in 2006.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Moore

Quote:
Arrow points to bones of pioneer California soldier unearthed as Hollywood Freeway excavation cuts into the old Fort Moore Hill Cemetery. Soldier had been buried in full uniform, including silver spurs. Several caskets have been exposed. Photo dated: April 2, 1951.
Great website BTW: http://www.1947project.com/tags/preservation

You have to admit that photo is pretty noir. Dig the shoulder pads on the detective's pin-stripped jacket.

Last edited by fhammon; May 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 6:35 PM

We saw the July 1955 shot above left not long ago (facing east on Rampart at Third) here. The LAPL included this information with the picture: "How to earn a ticket by 'darting': Officer Dan Knock, at the wheel of the oncoming Chevrolet, shows how to earn a ticket by 'darting.' Just as the signal starts to change, he jumps out and turns left in front of cars in the foregound. He is violating the law, even though he crossed through the turn before the other cars could get near him. He is also cutting across the double lines, which is illegal. He should have pulled out to the intersection in his own lane, and waited for the cars facing him to pass."

At right is a shot from four Julys earlier, with a view in the opposite direction, facing west on Third. Perhaps the intersection was chosen for the 1955 demonstration because of some infamy for accidents....

The current view west, followed by a question (the wrecked Studebaker was at the center of the intersection, the Model toward the near-right corner--who darted?):

I don't drive in Los Angeles regularly, but someone once told me that nowadays such "darting" is accepted in that, when the light turns green, oncoming traffic expects at least one car to turn from the opposing turning lane.... I've never tried it... but Rex, is this true?

Pics: LAPL, USCDL, Google Street View

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:15 PM

Excellent photographs of the old Nike missile site 3940dxer/David!
___

Here's the Lookout Mtn. postcard that started our W. P. Story Building conversation.

ebay

I finally located the backside of the above postcard.

It advertises Pacific Electric's "Balloon Route Excursion, 101 miles, one day, one dollar"

ebay

It also advertises "an ocean voyage on wheels, cars running a mile into the ocean on the Long Wharf."

below: The Longest Wharf in the World, Santa Monica.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=33006

We've covered this astounding wharf earlier in the thread, but I never tire of seeing photos of it.

It also lists a 'Camera Obscura' as one of the free attractions. Well, I finally came across a 'Camera Obscura' postcard.

found on ebay

reverse side

For a description of a 'camera obscura' go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

Another attraction it lists is the "Largest Aquarium on the Pacific Coast". I am not too sure where this was located.
Does anyone here know which Aquarium they're talking about and where it was located?
It would be around the turn of the century since the postmark on the pc is 1914.

It's a bit strange Lookout Mountain isn't listed as an attraction, especially since it's featured on the front of the postcard. Go figure.

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:29 PM

Drag racing in the Los Angeles River, 1950s.

http://wehadfacesthen.tumblr.com/

I wonder if this was legal or had to be done on the sly?

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 1, 2012 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here is a great snapshot of Angels Flight circa 1950s. Notice the numerous television antennas on the rooftop of the taller building(s).
The residents might be tuning into 'Queen for a Day'....or if they have children 'Space Patrol'.

I should probably know, but what is the name of this tall building with bay windows towering over Angels Flight?

found on ebay
E.R. ! Twas the Hotel Astoria hulking behind the Sunshine Apts- luvely image found here---

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
Over the years, the hill held a fort, an exclusive estate, cemetery, a high school, a brewery and beer garden, and a few other oddities.
http://www.helium.com/items/2016509-...in-los-angeles
It was one of the city’s greatest gems, and one of its lost treasures. Although not completed, it was dedicated as Fort Moore on July 4, 1847. The fort was named after Captain Benjamin D. Moore of the 1st Dragoon who was killed in the Battle of San Pasqual. The fort was abandoned in 1849 and decommissioned in 1853. The old fort was leveled and was soon replaced by a public playground. Then, in 1882, Jacob Philippi built his famed beer garden and brewery at the summit of Fort Moore Hill where he opened New York Brewery, the first brewery in Los Angeles. By 1887, Philippi had enough of his brewery on the summit. He sold the place to Mary Banning, widow of Phineas Banning, the founder and “father” of the Port of Los Angeles. She wasted no time in turning the summit of Fort Moore Hill into “Banning Mansion”. Soon, the house was abandoned by the Bannings and was converted into a rooming house until it was torn down. In 1891, it became the new location for Los Angeles High School. The school facility would be there until 1917 when it was moved again. The site was still owned by LAUSD, and it became its headquarters. The district office would be there until 2001. Today it is the home of the High School for the Visual and Performing Arts. But when this photo was taken in 1964, it seems to be well populated with the headqquarters of the LAUSD. Moore Hill is on the left side of this picture between Grand and Hill.

An aerial view of the Los Angeles Civic Center, looking east with the Department of Water and Power building and unfinished Music Center in the foreground. USC "Dick" Whittington Collection
I collected a mid-20s close-in aerial taken for Paducalist Development by the Spence photographers - and later this was sketched ( by Edwin Cooke) and featured in the L A Times series on Vanishing Landmarks-so it lasted almost to '30. L.A.Highschool built a Mission style 1 story annex between this Banning/Philipi structure and the noteworthy Lemoyne Wills mansion - I cannot diseminate this aerial as I agreed to purchase it for personal study- and UCLA's Airphoto Archives is sehr strict about their agreements-- It's ordering # is H-97 if you are interested..

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
E.R. ! Twas the Hotel Astoria hulking behind the Sunshine Apts- luvely image found here---

Twas wonderful to receive this info rick_m.

ebay

below: The front entrance of the Hotel Astoria on Olive Street.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/s...r=images&co=10

below: A rare color photo of the Hotel Astoria at Olive and 3rd Street.

http://onbunkerhill.org/AlltheMoreMann

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 2, 2012 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:15 AM

This view from Los Angeles' Olive Street looks a lot like San Francisco

http://www.sterow.com/wp-content/upl...rHill1940s.jpg

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 2, 2012 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I was pretty much floored by your beautiful screen-grabs of 'LA NOIRE' kznyc2k.

At first I was startled by the vivid color images..until I reminded myself that these images were truer to life than the black and white images
one usually correlates with 'film noir'.

I've never been a gamer, so it's hard for me to comprehend how this particular game works.
Thank you, glad you like them! Think of it more as an interactive TV series than your typical shoot-em-up video game--you spend way more time watching cinematic (in the best sense of the word) cutscenes than you do mashing the keypad trying to kill-kill-kill the enemy. In that sense it's very much unlike most games out there today, and some people have gone so far as to say that it's something completely new, something we don't yet have a name for.

Here are a few more moody black and whites:

By the way, the protagonist ^ is Aaron Staton, best known as Ken Cosgrove in Mad Men.

On the Sixth Street Viaduct

Of all the bridges in the world to come down with fucking concrete cancer, it has to be the Sixth Street Viaduct......makes me sick to my stomach!

Last edited by kznyc2k; May 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:10 PM

Last edited by so-cal-bear; Aug 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:30 PM
You can call me David

Quote:
...Here's the Lookout Mtn. postcard that started our W. P. Story Building conversation.

ebay

I finally located the backside of the above postcard.

It advertises Pacific Electric's "Balloon Route Excursion, 101 miles, one day, one dollar"

ebay......It would be around the turn of the century since the postmark on the pc is 1914...It's a bit strange Lookout Mountain isn't listed as an attraction, especially since it's featured on the front of the postcard. Go figure.

___
The Inn was only open for 4 or 5 years before it burned down, and I suspect that it was not very successful while open. Part of the problem must have been that at the time, the location was somewhat remote and difficult to reach. There was no public transport to Lookout Mountain and even if one had a car, it was a challenging drive to the summit! I get the feeling that the Lookout Mountain Inn was not promoted very well, or widely, and maybe the post card publisher simply didn't have any information about the place.

Among the photos in the old Hollywood album I bought recently there are several of Lookout Mountain that I'd never seen before. I'm going out of town for a few days, but will post them after I get home. And I'm still investigating the old roads we see in the images, some of which were probably erased at some point. More later.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:52 PM

Here's another view of the mile long wharf.

postcard found on ebay

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos