Posted Apr 30, 2012, 6:16 PM
|
|
Registered User
|
|
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 729
|
|
The new police station and 25th expansion are really going to help that huge dead zone that's plagued Saskatoon for so long. (Thanks for the recent pic) My heart broke the last time I walked through there (I guess illegally, but I'm not sure, as it's open, yet CN or CP land?)... and saw the old Capitol Theatre sign rusting away in the city yards.
Just think when that rail is completely taken out and downtown expands adding density in that general direction. It's going to be beautiful.
Unfortunately, it seems like 33rd St, my child 'hood, is going to remain the new 20th for some time, as 20th and Riversdale are going to become the new true "City Park" area.
Although Riversdale (is that the correct name for that 'hood around 20th?) is full of the worst the city has to offer, if you ever take the time to walk through it, it's by far more naturally beautiful than any of the manufactured suburbs that continue to expand the city limits. That's where I would invest.
For some reason, Hampton Place seems like a move in the right direction, though. And I'm sure glad that 1% of locals are embracing condos. They add an element of freedom to life that beats a personal ownership of a yard and the 2 or 3 thousand Sq feet you just have to keep thinking about HOW TO FILL.
And on the flip side, the land you lose by buying a condo can be found by going to a school yard, taking the kids to Kinsmen Park or the riverbank, or to the 3rd floor playground that is common on the rooftops of condos everywhere, once they're truly accepted, integrated into the design, and where people can interact with their neighbours. Why do you need so much space, when for half the year at least, the ground is frozen, so you go to a rink, and the other half you just want to get to the lake?
It just seems like bizarre greed to me. I know, to each his own. But all I can say is, when people live closer together, life is much more exciting. There's nothing to be afraid of in it. And you'll gain more than you'll lose. I guarantee it!
Here's to Saskatoon growing and expanding within the city limits!
Awesome new airport expansion! It's what sophisticated travelers demand, nowadays. But why not a parkade? That parking lot looks daunting, and I nearly froze to death running across the current one a few years ago. That's an oversight in my opinion. You could easily build a 6-story parkade nearer the building and save everyone a lot of hassle. And you've already been desensitized to being hosed at the ticket dispenser!
Anyway, I'm totally pumped with the news from Mr. Nasser about the architectural drawings for parcel Y. He will truly transform the skyline. Buy into it. Buy into it!!
Forget that "future skyline" shot that shows three mismatched 70's style buildings plopped into downtown. It's ridiculous. But if you want a real idea of that, just look at Winnipeg's skyline, with three 30-something floor towers. I bet that's what the lazy person was thinking about with that rendering.
One last thing, has the crown been added to the new office block at river landing? It's a nice little building.
|