HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 11:15 PM

Downtown suburbia? - Mississauga & Brampton

My friend and I went out to come conservation areas today, and made a stop in the north western suburbs on the way home. Enjoy a look at Downtown Brampton, and the Mississauga City Centre.

Brampton

Mississauga

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 4:56 AM

Hard to tell but it looks like Mississauga is trying to intensify and perhaps create more of a sense of place. Not an easy task...

I've never been to Brampton but I'd like to see more of its downtown, such as it is.

Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 11:17 PM

That twisty building is pretty cool, though, it feels out of place in Mississauga.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 5:37 AM

Neither Brampton nor Mississauga belongs in N - Z section.

But Peel Region does though, so I think this one should stay in this one.

Downtown Brampton is pretty, but it is so underwhelming for 525,000 people, it even has less highrises than Port Credit has.

As for Mississauga...

Celebration Square is working like a magnet! Looks like the $40,000,000 renovation is tax dollars worth spent. That is good news for those who have hopes for a sense of urbanity in Mississauga.

And Main Street District will commence construction too! And that makes the Main Street District the first phase of the implementation of the Downtown21 Master Plan!

Let the Square One parking lot infill and slicing begin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
That twisty building is pretty cool, though, it feels out of place in Mississauga.
Well, it looks like it does feel a little out of place. But many key lands at intersections in the downtown area have been reserved for future international architectural competitions. There is a rumour that Parkside Village's tallest tower will be a product of international architectural competition. So, you'll see a lot of them by the next decade or so.

Last edited by goodthings; Mar 11, 2012 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 11:20 AM

I like that modern look of the Brampton transit bus, it's cool !

Wow, Brampton still has snow as of yesterday !

Snow in Toronto South of the snow belt was long gone, I think snow melted within 2 days after every snow fall.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 2:16 PM
She needs her space

I think I would love Toronto, but Mississauga scares me. Lots of highrises, but still looks very cookie cutter suburban - soccer mom territory, public schools, malls, surface lots, fast food, etc.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I think I would love Toronto, but Mississauga scares me. Lots of highrises, but still looks very cookie cutter suburban - soccer mom territory, public schools, malls, surface lots, fast food, etc.
Don't be afraid.

Toronto also has its share of cookie cutters, soccer moms, public schools, malls, surface lots, fast food, etc... Especially in Etobicoke and Scarborough (ahem... Morningside! ahem...).

And if Mississauga scares you, check out my hometown outside its downtown area. It's even worse than Mississauga is... Brampton has a speed limit of 80 km/h in arterials, which is never seen in Mississauga. Plus, in some areas, there isn't any crossing for 1 kilometre.

The funny thing is that Hurontario Street within Brampton south of Steeles has an 80 km/h speed limit, and yet an LRT is proposed to run along that route.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:27 PM

downtown Brampton is a lot bigger than I expected when I traveled through it a couple of years ago. I recall there's a large performing arts center there, right? I can't remember if it was an old theater converted into one or brand new. In any case the city looks pretty lively.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Yes, those damn public schools. They should tear them all down.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos