HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2001  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 9:04 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,077
     
     
  #2002  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 9:43 PM
gowest gowest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 368
South Bridge

Big lift has started today for the next set of steel griders. Lots sitting waiting on the fill. Probably trying to get as many on site as possible before spring road bans take effect. Great view now from the east side.
     
     
  #2003  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:45 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,540
More progress on Hudson's Canadian Taphouse:



Exterior shot:



(My hunch on the plywood: Future sliding doors for summer patio on Fourth Avenue )

Source of images: http://hudsonstaphouse.com/construction-february-7/
     
     
  #2004  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:26 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,540
^ That's quite interesting. I always assumed that new housing stock would be more or less identical between S'toon and Regina in terms of design, materials. Perhaps it can be attributed to the higher cost of housing here as you suggest? I don't know.

Regardless, I agree with you that it makes things look cheap. Then again, I don't find suburbs anywhere to have many redeeming qualities.
     
     
  #2005  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:33 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
What's also interesting, at least in the context of Regina, those that have to tried to adopt a more traditional housing form (e.g. doors, windows, porches, stoops, no gage on the front facade) are all vinyl (and not stucco or any other higher quality material).
     
     
  #2006  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:45 PM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 590
I don't know much about building, so I will ask what might be a very naive question. Is stucco considered a higher quality material?

It seems to me that a lot of low-end housing uses stucco and as noted by the original poster, while on some of the higher end houses use siding. Personally, I find stucco and vinyl siding about equally ugly for the most part, although I have on rare occassions seen stucco I like and I have yet to see vinyl siding that I liked. Bring back bricks,stone and wood!!! ( I know, it costs a fortune)
     
     
  #2007  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:35 PM
Jimmy James Jimmy James is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I have noticed that. And its funny, because I don't think those are all that ugly. But there is just something about bungalows and two-stories with a 2 or 3 car garage on it that has vinyl siding that doesn't make much sense to me. You are already spending $350,000+ for a house, why not upgrade to some stucco with stone accents.

Now that I think of it, most Regina home builders I am pretty sure have stucco as the default exterior while some of the home builders we saw in Saskatoon have vinyl siding as the default.
I'm with you - I hate vinyl siding. When we were in our old house, we restored our cedar siding while all the neighbours put ugly plastic on theirs.

In certain neighbourhoods, such as Stonebridge (where I now live), the main developer sets design guidelines for each street. In Stonebridge, you are either on a stucco street or a vinyl street (thankfully, our house is stucco). In Willowgrove, however, the guidelines don't appear to be as strict, and you have a mix of sidings on each street (I believe the City developed that neighbourhood themselves).

I think Stonebridge is relatively even (some condos and houses even have Hardy board exteriors), and from what I've seen from the new houses in Rosewood, most are stucco. To me, stucco looks so much better, especially with stone facades incorporated into the siding. Expensive stone and vinyl together looks silly, IMO.
     
     
  #2008  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:38 PM
Wyku Wyku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 534
I recall hearing that there were restrictions in place in certain new neighbourhoods (i.e. Willowgrove) that required you NOT to use vinyl siding, where as others didn't have that requirement (i.e. Hampton Village). Not sure if that's the case or not though.
     
     
  #2009  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:09 PM
nook nook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 347
I drove through Evergreen for the first time yesterday, and I gotta say, putting houses along with the evergreen trees that have long existed in that location is a nice touch.
     
     
  #2010  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:32 PM
Hatched Hatched is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
I recall hearing that there were restrictions in place in certain new neighbourhoods (i.e. Willowgrove) that required you NOT to use vinyl siding, where as others didn't have that requirement (i.e. Hampton Village). Not sure if that's the case or not though.
It is not necesarily based on the neighbourhood. Willowgrove and Hampton Village are the same, they are both areas sold by the city to developers. Now some developers can buy a whole block and put restrictions on the exterior of the houses if they want which is what generally happens but the city doesn't usually put restrictions for the exterior of houses. This was the major concern when Willowgrove was first being built is because the city was selling the lots and anyone could buy them so if I bought one and built a 2 storey mansion in all brick, John Doe could buy the lot next to me and build a log cabin, and hence comes restrictions from developers.

An area like Stonebridge though, the lots are being sold from a developer to other developers and restrictions come right from the top so houses throughout the neighbourhood have the same sort of look.
     
     
  #2011  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:34 PM
The S'toon Goon The S'toon Goon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 296
After reading some of the posts above I am almost afraid to admit that I own and run a small siding/soffit company, but that is indeed what I do.

The two main types of siding installed today are made of either vinyl or cement fibre. Vinyl generally comes in 3 different grades. The lowest grade is, in my opinion, garbage and I will not use it. The middle grade and the highest grade are both qualitly options though. Depending on the house, vinyl siding can be supplied and installed for between $2.50 - $5.50 a square foot.

Cement fibre board (most common brand is James Hardie) is certainly a little more high end. There are many advantages with this over vinyl, but I can save the details (unless people really want to know) and just say that it ranges from $4 - $8 for supply and install.

Cement fibre board comes in many different styles too, not just horizontal siding. You can get shakes/shingles, vertical siding and sheets with smooth and stucco finishes can come in 4x8, 4x9, 4x10, and 4x12 sheets.

I don't have extensive knowledge on stucco, but I do know that there are different grades. The highest grade is known as acrylic stucco and is certainly high end. It can cost more than $20 per square foot.

Lower grade stucco will obviously be more affordable, but I don't really know any exacts.

Real brick is seldomly used now for whatever reason. It has been replaced with a product known as cultured stone which can be around $20 - $35 a square foot. The use of stone is usually a condition on houses in most parts of new areas.

In my opinion I would say that too much of any one kind of exterior, whether it be siding, stucco, or brick will cheapen the overall look of it. A nice mix would probably be the best, but it would seem most developers don't agree.
     
     
  #2012  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 7:53 PM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 590
Stoongoon: No shame in making a living. If you weren't installing it, someone would. Good to note the varying quality of vinyl too. I think what I and probably others are imagining is the crappier stuff, becasue when I really think about it I have seen vinyl siding that isn't awful. The hardiboard stuff looks great (just like wood) and I hear it lasts forever and holds paint a long time, so that is likely what I would consider when the time comes. I think what it comes down to is that many developers and the designers/architects they work with don't really care what the house or neighbohood will look like, as long as they can sell at a profit, so most newer stuff looks like — ( note, I didn't say "all").
     
     
  #2013  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 8:12 PM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
I think vinyl siding has its place but it really only works when you use it sparingly or on a smaller home. It is definitely overwhelming on a large home and can really cheapen the look. I think if you're using vinyl siding and you put a lot of detail into other areas of the facade it doesn't necessarily look terrible. It can be a budget friendly way to update an older home or a cheaper alternative if you're looking at building starter home or revenue property. If you look at a neighbourhood like Garden Ridge in Regina most of the houses are smaller with vinyl siding (my least favourite facade in this area is actually a brick exterior. It's just flat, blah...) but they have front porches and shutters and flower boxes and gables...

My friend used to live in a townhouse in Arbor Creek in Saskatoon and we went for a walk around the neighbourhood one day while I was visiting. One of the first things I noticed was the abundance of vinyl siding. She didn't understand why it was so strange. It might not have seemed so out of place to me either but the one thing that still stands out in my mind is a lot of the houses had columns covered in siding. I think I've seen this once in Regina and I don't even remember where it was. It just looks so odd...it reminds me of what it would look like if you laid your hardwood floors in the wrong direction...lol

I think you're right about stucco being the standard for most (if not all) builders in Regina. I like to visit show homes now and then just for something to do and I feel like most in newer neighbourhoods vinyl siding has to be approved on an individual basis.
     
     
  #2014  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 4:25 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,540
There are some photos on the Police website of the footprint of the new headquarters beginning to emerge:





http://www.police.saskatoon.sk.ca/index.php?loc=photos/gallery.php&group=25
     
     
  #2015  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 6:55 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,540
Moving art gallery to River Landing good for city: survey

The StarPhoenix February 15, 2012

Quote:
More than 60 per cent of Saskatoon residents surveyed say relocating the city’s major art gallery to River Landing is good for Saskatoon, Mendel Art Gallery officials said Wednesday.

As part of its market research for developing a business plan for the Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan, a survey was conducted by Fast Consulting, said board of trustees interim chair John Hampton. According to the results, 64 per cent of city residents view as positive the plan to relocate the Mendel Art Gallery from its current location along Spadina Crescent to the new location in River Landing.

“We need to forecast the level of activity at the new gallery, considering it will have a higher traffic location, more galleries, more exhibitions, more facilities and more programs,” said Hampton.

[....]
Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/travel/Mov...+survey/6156946/story.html#ixzz1mTiCiMaO
     
     
  #2016  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 7:25 PM
Scruff Bucket's Avatar
Scruff Bucket Scruff Bucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I guess there's nothing to worry about anymore!

BHP says Jansen plans unchanged
Sask. mine still near top of firm's list
By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix February 15, 2012
http://www.leaderpost.com/says+Jansen+plans+unchanged/6153907/story.html

OR: (Same story, slight difference in the headline)

BHP says Jansen unchanged
Report suggests delays
By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix February 15, 2012
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/says+Jansen+unchanged/6154055/story.html

Yikes! ... (to the next article)
http://www.leaderpost.com/Photos+Semi+crashes+into+Saskatoon+neighbourhood/6156914/story.html

I`ll assume these houses weren`t inhabited already, which would be extremely fortunate! Can anything be done to prevent this from being a possibility again?!
     
     
  #2017  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:58 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,540
Remai AGS in the news today....

Mendel move supported
Survey criticized by some

By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix February 16, 2012

Quote:
More than 60 per cent of Saskatoon residents surveyed say relocating the city's major art gallery to River Landing is "good for Saskatoon," while one-third oppose the move, according to a study commissioned by the Mendel Art Gallery.

"We were gratified by the results," said John Hampton, interim Mendel board chair, at a news conference Wednesday.

"They confirmed what we thought was going on out there."

The $23,000 market assessment survey was conducted by Fast Consulting as part of research for the Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan. The survey looked at the gallery move, opinions on charging admission fees and the likelihood of residents to visit the new site.

According to the survey, 43 per cent of those surveyed "agree" or "completely agree" the relocation of Mendel to an "expanded" Remai gallery is "good for Saskatoon." A further 21 per cent "moderately agree" while 10 per cent "slightly disagree," 23 per cent "do not agree at all" and four per cent are unsure.

The move of the gallery has been controversial since it was announced in 2009. A two-page newspaper advertisement last week laid out the case for expanding the Mendel gallery, a $24-million plan that was shelved in favour of a new gallery at River Landing three years ago.

[....]
Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/travel/Mendel+move+supported/6160224/story.html#ixzz1mYaLpsG5

Gallery fetes city's spirit

By John Hampton, The StarPhoenix February 16, 2012

Quote:
Hampton is the interim board chair for the Saskatoon Gallery & Conservatory Corporation

As we move toward construction of the new Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan, it's clear that the project is already shaping how others view our city.

It is also changing how we view ourselves.

According to a recently published study by Fast Consulting, 68 per cent of residents think that our new gallery will improve how Saskatoon is perceived. Nearly three-quarters say our city needs a cultural facility of the calibre the new gallery will offer.

Saskatoon has long enjoyed a reputation for its enterprising attitude and community spirit. Add the new art gallery, and Saskatoon will take its rightful place among Canada's most creative cities.

It is this broader view that has inspired our board, garnered support from three levels of government, and attracted the largest private donation in Saskatchewan's history. Attempts to renovate the current gallery failed on these fronts.

The federal government was unwilling to fund the renovation project. Despite the best efforts of dedicated volunteers, no significant donors stepped forward to support a renovation project.

When city council, the gallery board and our volunteer fundraising committee tried to raise money for the failed renovation project, they all came to the same conclusion: The best option for our growing community is a new gallery.

[....]
Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/travel/Gallery+fetes+city+spirit/6160241/story.html#ixzz1mYaxr7Dz

Artistic pursuits carry a cost

By Gerry Klein, The StarPhoenix February 16, 2012

Quote:
The business plan market assessment prepared for the Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan makes it clear that in spite of all the negative messaging surrounding the project, Saskatoon people by and large appreciate what is being done for them.

But the study also has a message that demonstrates how great is the challenge for any organization trying to advance cultural institutions. Saskatoon people, as is generally the case, want and desire a distinct and strong culture, but they are unwilling to pay for it.

Two-thirds of Saskatoon residents believe a major art gallery should be free of charge to all - even for expensive travelling exhibits. And when pressed for how much they would be willing to pay for top-shelf exhibits, if that is the only way to attract them, only five per cent of respondents were willing to offer up more than $25.

For a city that is increasingly seeing itself as a major economic driver for the province and country, this bit of parsimony would appear a bit unseemly. It isn't unusual, however. This is often the case and is why governments, universities and rich patrons play a disproportionate role in the buying of art and providing facilities for its display.

[....]
Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/travel/Artistic+pursuits+carry+cost/6160236/story.html#ixzz1mYZnYz2n
     
     
  #2018  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:24 AM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,474
Love that the birdge span is nearing completion, should be completed by the end of March if not sooner.
     
     
  #2019  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 1:29 PM
Jerry's Avatar
Jerry Jerry is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 798
Viewers react to Mendel Art Gallery moving
CTV Saskatoon

Date: Thursday Feb. 16, 2012 5:38 PM CST

Plans to move the Mendel art gallery to river landing has struck a chord with residents.

After a CTV story aired Wednesday night, dozens of Saskatoon residents emailed in to make their voices heard. The overwhelming response revealed that the majority of viewers don't want the Mendel going anywhere.

In the CTV Saskatoon web poll, 70 per cent of responders said they didn't want the art gallery to move. And dozens more viewers emailed in to confirm that sentiment. It's quite a contrast to a survey commissioned by the Mendel Art Gallery, which showed 64 per cent of 600 respondents said they would like to see a new art gallery at River Landing. [...]

Read more >http://saskatoon.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local...endelfolo-120216/20120216/?hub=Saskatoon
     
     
  #2020  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:40 PM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 590
I'd be interested in the methodology for the CTV poll. The Mendel group did a scientific survey, and of course you could quibble with their method, but at least it seems to have used a sampling procedure. CTV are professional — disturbers, much like CKOM, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was simply a "log in and vote" survey, which of course is totaly unreliable. Anyone see the original CTV story to hear what the method was? Even though I support the art gallery, I have no objection to a referendum. It would likely be worth it to clear the air, since this is a very large expenditure.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.