HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1061  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:03 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
30 is that really annoying age where half the people think you're "too old", half think you're "too young", and for the first and last time in your life, you feel neither.
I'm 30 and people call me sir
I'm officially old
__________________
"An AI agent does not need hatred, consciousness, or a Terminator-style plan to cause harm.
A badly specified goal plus powerful tools and weak boundaries can be enough"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1062  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:20 PM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
EVDS MPlan Grad
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canmore, AB
Posts: 11,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
30 is that really annoying age where half the people think you're "too old", half think you're "too young", and for the first and last time in your life, you feel neither.
I'm not even 23 and I don't consider 30 old. Maybe because my girlfriend of last year is now 32.

Then again, maybe my opinion will change in 7.5 years and I will begin to feel old.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1063  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 10:11 PM
MichaelS's Avatar
MichaelS MichaelS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,402
If you make a bit of an effort, 30 can feel no different physically than 20.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1064  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 11:08 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I'm not even 23 and I don't consider 30 old. Maybe because my girlfriend of last year is now 32.
.
SLOW CLAP!!
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1065  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 9:39 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,615
Happy Birthday Rusty!
__________________
"An AI agent does not need hatred, consciousness, or a Terminator-style plan to cause harm.
A badly specified goal plus powerful tools and weak boundaries can be enough"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1066  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:00 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,219
Saw an add for Shaw EXO during the Superbowl yesterday (one of the few decent commercials on the Canadian feed actually), anyone know what it is?
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1067  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:03 PM
Jimby's Avatar
Jimby Jimby is offline
not a NIMBY
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Saw an add for Shaw EXO during the Superbowl yesterday (one of the few decent commercials on the Canadian feed actually), anyone know what it is?
http://shaw-launches-exo-service-with-network-upgrades-and-higher-speeds
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1068  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:15 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,219
Interesting. So if you already have HD digital cable, is this an automatic switch, or do you need to upgrade?
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1069  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:26 PM
Me&You Me&You is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Interesting. So if you already have HD digital cable, is this an automatic switch, or do you need to upgrade?
You need to pay for the upgraded speed. It also seems that you'll need the Shaw Gateway system to take advantage of some features... Too bad that the Gateway 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1070  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 8:45 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,219
I was going to buy the gateway system, but it cost too much with all the receivers and stuff factored in, so I just got a basic PVR. Maybe the gateway would have been a better investment. Time will tell I suppose.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1071  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
I kinda feel like that guy in that old Onion story talking about how he doesn't have TV, but...

I'm a bit floored at providers continuing to bulk up their services. With the reams of stuff available on streaming services these days, I'm about ready to cut the cord beyond basic cable. This "keep adding 🞵🞵🞵🞵 into our package and increasing rates" mentality has all but turned me off of broadcast TV forever.

I wish we could see services pared back a lot, to a cheap/no-frills level of service combined with excellent data speeds/caps. Netflix alone - with what is currently some pretty weak selection - has a solid year or two of entertainment for me, without trying. And their selection expands every week.

Now if only I could kick the hockey addiction... fortunately broadcasters only let me watch local games (which I have tickets to half of) and Leaf games (which I don't care about) so I'm not sure I'll be missing much by removing 4 Sportsnet channels that are perpetually blacked out when anything interesting is on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1072  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
I deal with this problem by not having a TV. The sheer amount of hours wasted on TV is staggering. I haven't had one for about 8 years now.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1073  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:39 PM
mersar's Avatar
mersar mersar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 10,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I deal with this problem by not having a TV. The sheer amount of hours wasted on TV is staggering. I haven't had one for about 8 years now.
Yep. We have a TV, but only have a digital OTA antenna (so we get 5 channels), and thats more than enough for us. I also torrent a number of shows, but rarely get time to watch almost any of them. I doubt I watch more then 2 or 3 hours of TV a week on average. And usually when I do, I'm doing other things still at the same time.
__________________

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1074  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:47 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,219
I watch a hell of a lot of TV, mostly movies, sports and whatever Discovery or Nat geo are showing. Regular Sitcoms and Drama's have very little interest to me as they are all basically the same as the show they replaced.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1075  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:55 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I deal with this problem by not having a TV. The sheer amount of hours wasted on TV is staggering. I haven't had one for about 8 years now.
Ah, so YOU'RE the Onion guy!

I'll always have one for the odd video game, but otherwise I'm with mersar - a few hours a week tops outside of hockey games. And it's nice to curl up together in front of a movie from time to time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1076  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:05 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Ah, so YOU'RE the Onion guy!

I'll always have one for the odd video game, but otherwise I'm with mersar - a few hours a week tops outside of hockey games. And it's nice to curl up together in front of a movie from time to time.
I just use a computer for this.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1077  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:24 PM
MichaelS's Avatar
MichaelS MichaelS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Yep. We have a TV, but only have a digital OTA antenna (so we get 5 channels), and thats more than enough for us. I also torrent a number of shows, but rarely get time to watch almost any of them. I doubt I watch more then 2 or 3 hours of TV a week on average. And usually when I do, I'm doing other things still at the same time.
How do you find your digital OTA to work? I have the most basic cable package (I am a very similar mindset to Freeweed) and tried to set up one of these antenna in my place, and was only able to get 2/5 channels, while the other 3 would only intermittently pick up. Do I just need to try a better antenna (I tried one of the cheaper ones from Best Buy)?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1078  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:30 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
I have a TV but the only thing connected to it is my xbox, which I seldom play. The time I don't waste watching TV is wasted on the internet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1079  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:45 PM
5seconds 5seconds is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
How do you find your digital OTA to work? I have the most basic cable package (I am a very similar mindset to Freeweed) and tried to set up one of these antenna in my place, and was only able to get 2/5 channels, while the other 3 would only intermittently pick up. Do I just need to try a better antenna (I tried one of the cheaper ones from Best Buy)?
A good antenna might not be needed. Go to www.tvfool.com and punch in your address. It will tell you where the signals are coming from, so you can point the antenna in the right direction. If you have a directional antenna, this could help a lot. Also, if it isn't already outside, consider moving it.

I have a $20 antenna from Monoprice and it picks up all 5. I cut cable a year ago, and haven't looked back. It helps having an AppleTV, a library card and a large hard drive. That and the $1.79 movies from the box in Safeway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1080  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 12:20 AM
Jimby's Avatar
Jimby Jimby is offline
not a NIMBY
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,796
I have 70 inches. The only time in my life I have ever been able to boast about anything size related.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:17 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.