HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 8:38 PM

Fluoride

Well, it's been a bit of a minor issue that's popped up in London over the last few months, whether or not to follow Calgary's and Waterloo's lead regarding removing fluoride out of the public water system.

A few articles for your reading:

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../19295891.html

http://themcleodreport.ca/home/888-f...n-consent.html

I was at the meeting actually yesterday at Centennial Hall just for information sake. It was fairly entertaining, but I did end up leaving around 11:30, spent 5 hours straight there. The meeting actually didn't end till 1:10 AM or so, can't imagine what it was like to be a councilor there. Fontana looked as bored as he could ever be, but it was pretty easy to get a read on the councilor's opinions on the matter.

6 Councilors were there, being Van Meerbergen, Usher, Baechler, White, and Orser.

Baechler, White, and Orser appeared to be for the removal of fluoride, while Usher and Fontana looked like they wanted nothing to do with the matter (Usher btw is a horrible chair person to run a public meeting), while I couldn't get a read on Van Meerbergen, although I'd be surprised if he chose to remove fluoride simply due to the savings of $133,000 a year that London spends on treating the water system.

Either way, it's an issue that's starting to arise in a lot of communities in Southern Ontario, and I doubt it is going to go away. City Staff will have a report in 6 weeks based on the comments of the 50+ speakers at last night's meeting.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 11:49 PM

This is about Klaus Flouride, right?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:18 AM
User Registered

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I grew up with fluoridated water and it kept my teeth healthy and didn't turn me into some mutant.

Having said that, there have been significant advances in dentistry since our water started being fluoridated, so it may be fine to get rid of it since we're brushing with sodium fluoride toothpaste.

I dunno. The cost savings of getting rid of it isn't much, and we're doing fine as-is.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I grew up with fluoridated water and it kept my teeth healthy and didn't turn me into some mutant.

Having said that, there have been significant advances in dentistry since our water started being fluoridated, so it may be fine to get rid of it since we're brushing with sodium fluoride toothpaste.

I dunno. The cost savings of getting rid of it isn't much, and we're doing fine as-is.
Fluoride, backyard chickens...London is sure on the road to stardom.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:28 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Remind me again, if we have morons like Baechler campaigning for the removal of fluoride from the municipal water system for health reasons, why is nobody making the same argument for chlorine? Isn't that also supposed to be harmful?

I say keep them both. They obviously haven't hurt us too much.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy