Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk
It is pretty hard to justify the expense of operating them when no services are provided. No concessions or public washrooms, just a useless shell of a building.
|
True, true but grade separated crossings gives me the opportunity to run for the train when its pulling up to the station.
I personally liked the up and over designs, it gave the stations a 'metro' feel instead of LRT/streetcar feel like 39th ave or banff trail, but i guess for people with mobility issues two at grade crossings will probably be easier and more convenient.
At the end end of the day you're probably right policy wonk. The up and over approach was expensive for what it was; however I'd have to disagree with mersar(respectfully of course). I do believe collisions will increase at chinook with 2 at-grade crossings even with the blind corner removed and intelligent gates. There will always be that one person out of a million that is in a hurry and thinks he or she can run faster than the train.
Even though this is a bad example the guy in this video gets smoked by a train at banff trail.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Transi...in/5826506/story.html?cid=megadrop_story
I say bad example because he isn't paying attention and the station doesn't have crossing arms.