Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili
I think in general as long as you have one transfer between lines, that typically is sufficient enough. Travelling an extra station to do the transfer is not much of a penalty and justifies the savings. That being said, a transfer between the two is essential.
|
Well yes, depending on which way you are going after the transfer. If the goal is to go from the SELRT to the SLRT, so say from Inglewood to Chinook as a thrown-out-there example, then you've just saved a possible ca. 5-10 mins on your travel time. Would have to calculate more directly.
With a transfer at an 8th ave station, you've now gone 2 further stations one way and (depending on what 8th Ave would look like in the future) at least 2 more on the way back to where you would have initially been able to transfer at (seeing as how the two lines actually intersect in an x-y plane.) This may seem rather insignificant and admittedly, in a city such as Calgary and it's respective structure, it might be so at first. The point is that a network becomes more comprehensive with more transfer possibilities and it slowly breaks away from a system meant almost exclusively for commuting trips. This allows some adjacency in the network.
Additionally interesting would of course be the potential to have physical connections between the actual lines. This allows for much more flexible operability, especially in the case of problems in a tunnel or on a longer term basis, if the actual lines might want to be changed in the future. I.E. NWLRT to SELRT for example, not that I'm saying that that makes sense in this case.
Lastly, and probably the largest potential benefit- immediate access to two of the lines for anyone getting off of a long-distance train requiring no transfers. That is very optimal.
Anyway, I guess I shall rest my case, but I do think the discussion is interesting and to me, highlights a case of more strategic, long term thinking that is largely necessary regardless of the above or not. To be more blunt, having transit designed and planned better.