Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey
They can't register a condo until something like 80% of the building is occupied. Mondrian started move-in August 2009 and didn't register until January 2010.
|
I had never heard of that rule. I had only heard you need 80% to build. I can't see why the city would care if units are occupied..as long as they collect their taxes :-)
Some of the rental companies are actually registering as condos now (but not selling off units) to save on taxes and give them options later one.
-----------
Edit. I just peaked at the condo act. There does not appear to be any occupancy requirements wrt registration/creation of a condo. The act seems more concerned that things are completed enough that surveys and shares of the corporation can be specified accurately....so things like final dimensions can be determined.
So in short it is substantial completion that is the issue rather than occupancy...although they do clearly relate.
I suspect they don't want to register eco-cite since once they do they would have to charge themselves condo fees and fund a reserve fund as per a reserve fund study...the whole 9 yards. And if they decided to sell the whole place off to become a higher end rental they would have to go through terminating the condo corp. They are probably keeping there options open.