HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6461  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 2:31 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Downtown projects photo update anyone?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6462  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 3:06 AM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Downtown projects photo update anyone?
There's a good update on http://urbanplans.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6463  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 3:44 AM
Wolkenkratzerliebhab Wolkenkratzerliebhab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
When is the new DND shipbuilding supposed to start in Halifax? Whatever contracts Saint John gets as a result of that project may bring a few people in.
What makes me mad is that instead of the DND going to Halifax, it should have gone to Saint John Shipbuilding in the first place, because, as far as I'm concerned, SJ Ship Building was shut down by the federal government for purely political reasons! The whole idea of shutting down the country's largest and best ship yard in order to make other smaller and less efficient ship yards better able to compete is utter insanity!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6464  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 5:50 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
SJ Ship Building was shut down by the federal government for purely political reasons!
From what I can tell it was shut down because of the union in the negotiations. I'm not sure of exact details, but that's the gist that I got.

And yes, you're right in saying that Saint John, if our shipyard was still operational, would have gotten a large chunk of that contract (possibly in tandem with Halifax).

The Harbourfront Condos look like they're nearly finished and they're looking really good right now. I'm excited that the lower ends of Water and Prince William are being built up a bit more. Has there been any recent developments re: Coast Guard Site?

Last edited by JHikka; Nov 24, 2011 at 6:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6465  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 7:28 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
The coast guard site is going out for proposals in December, so we'll see in a few months what sort of interest there is in developing it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6466  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 11:36 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
The main takeaway from my day in SJ today?

You have the BOLDEST J-walkers Ive ever seen one lady was walking through traffic stopped at that weird intersection of Rothesay and Thorne, even as it started to move all around her...and then later a guy walking casually across Rothesay Ave to the point that oncoming traffic in BOTH directions had to stop!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6467  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 1:10 AM
michael_d40 michael_d40 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
The main takeaway from my day in SJ today?

You have the BOLDEST J-walkers Ive ever seen one lady was walking through traffic stopped at that weird intersection of Rothesay and Thorne, even as it started to move all around her...and then later a guy walking casually across Rothesay Ave to the point that oncoming traffic in BOTH directions had to stop!!
haha and god forbid you say something or don't slow down for them because they will flip you off and/or start swearing at you like YOU did something wrong. It's the weirdest thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6468  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 1:20 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
I like that kind of stuff, I'm all about pedestrian empowerment. Even when I'm driving, if I see someone pull one of those bold moves, I brake, yield the road and then give them a round of applause.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6469  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 11:07 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
I guess I must be more of an A-hole because I have no tolerance for extreme jaywalking. I accelerate while sitting on the horn so I can scare them out of the way. I smile at them as they flip me off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6470  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 3:54 AM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
Being a pedestrian isn't a licence to be an 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. Roads work best when everyone follows the rules.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6471  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 3:57 AM
Helladog's Avatar
Helladog Helladog is offline
Unregistered Loser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NB
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I like that kind of stuff, I'm all about pedestrian empowerment. Even when I'm driving, if I see someone pull one of those bold moves, I brake, yield the road and then give them a round of applause.
I do the same whenever possible, but that doesn't stop some of them from giving me looks just for sharing the road with them. At that point, I'd like to accelerate...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6472  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 12:47 AM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Bay-Westfield :: NB
Posts: 3,088
:: Sunday afternoon in and around Uptown ::


Skyline taken from Fort Howe


Courthouse taken from Fort Howe


Courthouse taken from Fort Howe


Uptown taken from Lower West Side


Harbourfront Residence taken from Fort Howe


Courthouse


Courthouse


Police Station


Harbourfront Residence


Harbourfront Residence




Brunswick Square


Brunswick Square

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6473  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 3:02 AM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
Nice shots, Erick!

What's in the large brick building next to Harbour Residences?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6474  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 4:11 AM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
What's in the large brick building next to Harbour Residences?
They were offices. I'm not sure if the building still houses them or if it's vacant. I can't imagine them staying vacant for too long with Harbourfront going up next door, if that's the case.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6475  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 4:33 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,353
Nice pics Erick

The new courthouse in Saint John fits into your skyline better than our new courthouse does here in Moncton

I don't know about that new police station though. Perhaps I'll take more of a shine to it when the cladding is applied.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6476  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 9:19 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Great pictures Erick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSJ News
Duplexes Needed In The City

The city's Commissioner of Planning and Development Ken Forrest says we need more duplexes and semi-detached homes in order to grow.

He says since the city has the highest average housing prices in the province, those kinds of homes will be in demand.
He adds that kind of housing stock is practically non-existent in the city and we will need it to address affordability issues.

In contrast, he says over 30 percent of the housing starts in Moncton are duplexes.
http://country94news.blogspot.com/2011/11/duplexes-needed-in-city.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6477  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 9:47 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
I'm curious why row houses seem to have taken off in Fredericton, but they're essentially non-existent in Moncton and Saint John (I'm assuming).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6478  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 10:29 PM
OliverD OliverD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I'm curious why row houses seem to have taken off in Fredericton, but they're essentially non-existent in Moncton and Saint John (I'm assuming).
I think it's partly due to the fact that for the price of an entry level townhouse, there aren't very many single family homes in Fredericton. House prices in Moncton seem to be more reasonable and thus there may not be as much demand for townhouses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6479  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
RR Drummer RR Drummer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 210
SJ Photos

Some really nice shots there. We have an interesting Uptown in Saint John and these photos highlight some of the recent developments nicely. Great job!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6480  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 10:44 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
They were offices. I'm not sure if the building still houses them or if it's vacant. I can't imagine them staying vacant for too long with Harbourfront going up next door, if that's the case.
I will never understand that logic...a beautiful old building which seems to have a good quality exterior already in place and vacant...but a developer comes along and builds new right next door?? Why not renovate and make nice loft style condos? LEED/Green roof etc? My favorite building that I have seen so far in the city is Base Engineering on Rothesay Ave...they gutted an old building and made it new again, but the character of the old building shines through it. It's beautiful!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.