HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2181  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 8:41 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,024
I can just barely remember the #1 pre the Cassiar tunnel. I also can remember the Barnet as only 2 lanes wide.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #2182  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 7:08 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I can just barely remember the #1 pre the Cassiar tunnel. I also can remember the Barnet as only 2 lanes wide.
I remember driving to and from Reed Point Marina when I was 16, on the "yet-to-be-finished" Barnet Highway Widening Project.

Heh, I also remember seeing the NDP "Your Taxpayer Dollars At Work" signs for the Future Phase 2 Clarke-Murray Connector at one point

Last edited by Mininari; Nov 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM.
     
     
  #2183  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 12:23 AM
Stingray2004's Avatar
Stingray2004 Stingray2004 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: White Rock, BC (Metro Vancouver)
Posts: 3,145
Well, at least it's somethin'! Would like to see aerial pics of the SFPR/Hwy 17 and SFPR/Hwy99 interchanges and more....

Freshly posted albeit ~5 months old:

36th Ave. Overpass:



64th Ave. Overpass:



Tilbury Industrial Park area:





Source: TranBC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/sets/72157628444345403/with/6513074451/
     
     
  #2184  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 1:03 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,780
Thanks for posting.

Looks like it'll be a fun road to drive!

Interesting that the highway fits under one side of the two overpasses - in one case there's just a single railroad line under the other side and in teh other case, there's a single railroad line and a local road.
     
     
  #2185  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 1:52 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
It's a shame they couldn't have gone straight and avoided 3 curves with only minimal expropriation.
     
     
  #2186  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 3:47 AM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
It's a shame they couldn't have gone straight and avoided 3 curves with only minimal expropriation.
More curves == more Zoom Zoom Smiles.
     
     
  #2187  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:21 AM
worldwide's Avatar
worldwide worldwide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver - Ktown
Posts: 704
did somebody say zoom zoom curves?

__________________
Hieroglyphics yeah, to the kick and the snare like that, there, yeah, we keep it raw rare
     
     
  #2188  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 12:35 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,780
New SFPR webcams - but not much to see other than some preloading:

http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/sfpr
     
     
  #2189  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 3:43 AM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
Did someone say.. zoom zoom?
     
     
  #2190  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:18 AM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Is this page now sponsored by Mazda or something?
     
     
  #2191  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:22 AM
usog usog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Is this page now sponsored by Mazda or something?
Skytrain lobby now brought to you by Mazda©, where our trains go zoom zoom?
     
     
  #2192  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 5:44 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
So, am in town now for Christmas with the family... had to make a little trip from Coquitlam over to Queensborough to go to the Carter's store there.

I should have gone to the one in Langley.

Maybe I've been away from here too long. Maybe I've gotten used to the relatively "light" daytime traffic conditions living in Winnipeg, or the fact that there are maybe 1/4 of the number of traffic signals there as there are here... or Maybe its that Winnipeg doesn't have a plethora of container and construction trucks on the roads all day long...

I don't know. But all I do know is HOLY 🞵🞵🞵🞵, have things gotten WORSE here or what??? First off, using 10th avenue to 20th street to get to the Queensborough is officially useless. All the traffic coming from 8th plugs up 20th, and theres only one turn-lane at the bottom of the hill onto the Bridge. I guess I'll follow 10th right down to Marine Way and attack the QB Bridge from the west next time.

Coming back I got to experience the lovely free-flow of the new QB interchange... nice to see all those trucks lined up going the other way waiting to merge onto the bridge... we made it to Front street fine, but then, yep... another roadblock. We were stuck in there for at least 20 minutes. It was 12:30pm. 🞵🞵🞵???

I sure hope the SFPR operates as an attractive alternative to truck traffic rather than going through New West... again, since I know New West wants the billion-dollar fix on a million-dollar budget, I again call upon the province to allocate ANY existing funding that was earmarked for the NFPR to the SFPR to get those interchanges built. Theres no need for BOTH of these routes to be a gong show....

On the flip side, I managed to take advantage of the new HOV lane in Pitt Meadows coming in to town... we used the GEB to avoid the PMB, and then cruised into Port Coquitlam... where we hit another christmas-coloured traffic signal 'roadblock' called 'Lougheed Highway' ... no idea why its still called a 'highway.' My wife urged me to cut north and use the David Connector to avoid the mess... I should have done that, or jogged across that shiny new Coast Meridian overpass to my old "reliable" commuter route of Kingsway and Dewdney Trunk Road.
     
     
  #2193  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 6:34 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Yeah, they should rename that stretch of road to Lougheed Boulevard

I just don't get why they even want to put a signal on Lougheed Highway just for the access to Tim Horton's.....
     
     
  #2194  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 9:48 PM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,742
The Tim Hortons got orphaned in the middle of everything during and after construction of the overpass and the adjacent balloon loop... hence the traffic light. Without it I don't think cars would be able to exit the property. It's not really that complicated though since it's most likely a staggered delay with the other balloon loop intersection with Lougheed.
     
     
  #2195  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 9:58 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
There is already an entrance on Coast Meridian Connector.. and there's even a left turn lane for it there.
     
     
  #2196  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:02 AM
Mousey Mousey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 110
Tannery Road is now closed between Scott Rd. and South Fraser Way until 2013...
Today was chaotic down there too. Old Yale was closed due to an accident, and truckers really paid for it. Grace was the only option.
They have also implemented left turn signal lights for Scott Rd. to turn onto Old Yale.

I always use Old Yale to get to the Pattulo too. Truckers/Traffic don't really use it, so you always make the light.
     
     
  #2197  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 1:24 AM
jlenko jlenko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Willoughby
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
Tannery Road is now closed between Scott Rd. and South Fraser Way until 2013...
Today was chaotic down there too. Old Yale was closed due to an accident, and truckers really paid for it. Grace was the only option.
They have also implemented left turn signal lights for Scott Rd. to turn onto Old Yale.

I always use Old Yale to get to the Pattulo too. Truckers/Traffic don't really use it, so you always make the light.
I was there yesterday... what a gong show. For some reason, they decided to implement all the lane changes and bring the new signals online on the same day... as well as close the curb lanes both ways. Add to that, the existing stretch of SF Way between Grace and Old Yale was closed. Trucks had to come to Scott road to get around... what a joke.
     
     
  #2198  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 7:08 PM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,124
Not much else they can do. Unfortunately we have about a year and a bit of that down there.
     
     
  #2199  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 8:45 AM
Mousey Mousey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 110
I feel bad for all those truckers though, their only option is Grace or go Nordel/Scott. I guess I can find another short cut to the Pattulo for the next year or so!
     
     
  #2200  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:26 AM
jlenko jlenko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Willoughby
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Not much else they can do. Unfortunately we have about a year and a bit of that down there.
No, they "could" have done one intersection first... added the left turns bays at Old Yale, for example... then waited a bit... then done the light poles at Tannery... got things in place... then do the closure on Tannery in the end.

Instead, it was three f'd intersections on the same day = 45 minute wait to move two blocks. I gave up, turned around, went all the way back to 96th and made it to the Patullo via King George in 15 minutes.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:57 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.