HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1841  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 12:25 AM
Govertical's Avatar
Govertical Govertical is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 501
I was up at the end of the west line on friday and I must say that I'm really impressed with how it looks so far, even the alignment of the roads like bow trail and the sarcee interchange are better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1842  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 9:31 PM
srperrycgy's Avatar
srperrycgy srperrycgy is offline
I'm the bear on the right
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary (Killarney)
Posts: 1,670
Went out early Sunday morning before the winds were doing their worst to take some West LRT pics from 37th St up to 69th Street SW.

Close up of of the tunnel portal at 38th St.:


WLRT-11272011-2 by srp775, on Flickr

Interlocking construction in the trench east of 45th Street Station:


WLRT-11272011-5 by srp775, on Flickr

West entrance to 45th Street Station:


WLRT-11272011-10 by srp775, on Flickr

Approach to Road and LRT bridges over Sarcee Trail:


WLRT-11272011-14 by srp775, on Flickr

Sirocco Station looking westward:


WLRT-11272011-20 by srp775, on Flickr

Level crossing at Christie Park Gate:


WLRT-11272011-25 by srp775, on Flickr

Tunnel portal near 69th Street Station:


WLRT-11272011-29 by srp775, on Flickr

West entrance at 69th Street Station and platform.


WLRT-11272011-31 by srp775, on Flickr

Westbrook TOD tarps flying in the 90 km/h + gusts


WLRT-11272011-41 by srp775, on Flickr

Extreme wind notwithstanding, this was the easiest walk along this part of the route that I've done. Most of the major construction work is done now, so most road and pedestrian routes are restored. The lack of signage at Sarcee & 17th is incredible. While walking westward, a vehicle stopped beside me and the woman inside didn't know how to get to NB Sarcee. I told her, she did a U turn and was on her way. The interchange isn't complete, but more temporary signage is required.
__________________
Stevinder.
* * * * * *
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1843  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 7:02 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Went out early Sunday morning before the winds were doing their worst to take some West LRT pics from 37th St up to 69th Street SW.


Extreme wind notwithstanding, this was the easiest walk along this part of the route that I've done. Most of the major construction work is done now, so most road and pedestrian routes are restored. The lack of signage at Sarcee & 17th is incredible. While walking westward, a vehicle stopped beside me and the woman inside didn't know how to get to NB Sarcee. I told her, she did a U turn and was on her way. The interchange isn't complete, but more temporary signage is required.

ALERT:

photo radar around the sarcee / 17th ave SW interchange last night. Camera going off like paparazzi........
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1844  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:27 AM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
ALERT:

photo radar around the sarcee / 17th ave SW interchange last night. Camera going off like paparazzi........
I'm new to driving this route (been doing it about 2 1/2 weeks now) but have noticed that if I'm doing anywhere close to 50 through this zone, I'm getting passed constantly. I suppose CPS has to find a new source of revenue now that a lot of construction around Stoney/Crowchild has wrapped and spped limits have been raised.
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1845  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:34 AM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,629
17th from just east of Sarcee and further west was always, and is presumably still going to be a 60 zone, unless construction speed is posted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1846  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 11:38 PM
frinkprof's Avatar
frinkprof frinkprof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Gary
Posts: 4,865
December West LRT photos from westlrt.ca

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1847  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 11:42 PM
lineman's Avatar
lineman lineman is offline
power to the people!
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Crescent Heights, Calgary
Posts: 864
Hm. I wonder if you have walked by me a couple of times, frink.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1848  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 11:43 PM
frinkprof's Avatar
frinkprof frinkprof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Gary
Posts: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Hm. I wonder if you have walked by me a couple of times, frink.
Possibly, but I haven't been on the West LRT project in months. The photos are from the official website.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1849  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 11:49 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Thank you for the updates. Much appreciated. Im really anticipating what we will do next once the west line is complete and all of the stations are extended.

What a project!
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1850  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:36 PM
mersar's Avatar
mersar mersar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 10,083
Yep, they have some awesome photos up. I drove past part last night and its looking good, signals are in past Crowchild now, and the caternary arms are hung to there as well. Even looked like they've started stringing some of the caternary wire east of Sunalta
__________________

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1851  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 9:12 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Fantastic pictures!

What is the deal with the vehicle bridge in the last picture? I didn't even know that existed.

Its very interesting they way the copper has oxidized (is that the right term). I thought that it would actuall stay quite shiny, now it is very dull. You can really see the comparison between the top and bottom of Sunalta station.
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1852  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 9:32 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,219
I know it's copper and all, but I think I will be a bit disappointed when it oxidizes and turns green, the bright, shinny copper looks great!

I'm excited to get on the train at an elevated station and get off underground!
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1853  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 9:34 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,269
Great update photo srperrycgy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1854  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 9:55 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I know it's copper and all, but I think I will be a bit disappointed when it oxidizes and turns green, the bright, shinny copper looks great!

I'm excited to get on the train at an elevated station and get off underground!
If it goes green we're lucky! With air polution reduced these days copper seems to get a brown patina.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1855  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 10:13 PM
kap384's Avatar
kap384 kap384 is offline
Littering and............
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 512
In the FAQ on the WestLRT website it calims that the copper will not go green in our environment, rather just dull like a penny. (of course if that is the case, all we need is some intrepid SSP'ers with large quantities of vinegar and salt, and the canopies will shine again!)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1856  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 3:42 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
why not use some sort of sealant to prevent that?
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1857  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:32 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,418
The stations are looking great IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1858  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:50 AM
suburb suburb is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
why not use some sort of sealant to prevent that?
To maintain sealant is much more expensive than allowing the material, which should remain mechanically sound, to simply change colour over time. I actually appreciate architecture that is thoughtful enough to look into the future such that it ages gracefully as opposed to fighting time.

Last edited by suburb; Dec 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1859  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 1:49 PM
James77 James77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Fantastic pictures!

What is the deal with the vehicle bridge in the last picture? I didn't even know that existed.
It's an entrance/exit to the parkade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1860  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:37 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,219
I'd prefer to see it go green, than to fade to a dull colour, but whatever, will still look great!
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.