HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9361  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 12:00 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331


Never fear my friend, if you look carefully at the photo, you can see that the marsh grass in front of the viewing area at Bore View Park is still there.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9362  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 3:27 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331
This is not a development related post, but I think some aknowledgement should be made of the passing of Ian Fowler. This career civic employee has done more than any other individual in the creation of the modern 21st century city of Moncton.

Pretty much the entire first section of the T&T today was given over to articles about and tributes to Mr. Fowler. These tributes have been flowing in from around the continent and around the world, truly indicating the calibre of this powerful and influential individual.

I was particularly taken by this reflection by John Wishart. I think this captures the essence of the man.....


Ian (Fowler) showed nothing was beyond our reach
Published Monday November 7th, 2011
BY JOHN WISHART
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

I was sitting in the Moncton Farmers' Market when I heard Ian Fowler died. My wife and I were having breakfast - our usual Saturday morning date - when my pocket buzzed.

It was an e-mail from a friend, who told me Ian had passed away only a few minutes ago.

The market is one of those Moncton landmarks that bears Ian's imprint. It had been a tough file for him to handle, a sometimes rocky relationship with the vendors who sell their wares each weekend. But all these years later, it has settled into a beautiful rhythm, a community beat that draws hundreds of residents each Saturday morning.

Ian's career with the city and my own with the Times & Transcript moved to a similar beat these past three decades. Ian started with the Community Services Department in 1980 as director of outdoor recreation; I started with the newspaper in 1982 and almost immediately became city hall reporter, covering Ian and his mates in CSD.

I remember meeting Ian in the rather dingy offices that housed Community Services on Westmorland Street, where the parking lot for the Farmers' Market now sits. I am sure it was there that Ian first learned the art of the deal under the wing of one of the city's foremost negotiators of the day, CSD director Art Buck.

I remember standing on freshly-laid sod at Magic Mountain on a cool June day in 1987, the steam from the hot asphalt still rising into the morning air as Buck announced the opening of a bold new initiative - the Magnetic Hill Tourism Park.

No doubt Ian was somewhere in the background, making sure things - from the asphalt that had been paved just hours before to the sod that was still squishy underfoot - was just right.

Twenty-five years later, Ian leaves Moncton a changed place.

It is a city that routinely punches well above its weight-class. Around the world, music fans wear tour T-shirts that list the names of concert sites that go something like this: "Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, San Francisco, New York, Moncton . . ."

It is a city that has hosted a world-class athletics competition in a stadium that has held sold-out Canadian Football League games and will likely host World Cup Women's Soccer in 2015.

It is a city that has hosted so many world and national events that I've forgotten more than I can remember.

And most importantly, it is a city that thinks it can accomplish just about anything, that no event, competition, venue or act is beyond our reach.

For that, I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to Ian Fowler. Sure, we have been lucky in Moncton to have had the political leadership to make things happen. But if city council supplied the fuel to our success, Ian was usually the spark.

It is fair to say not everyone appreciated Ian's way of getting things done. He was a tough negotiator who sometimes begged forgiveness instead of seeking permission. But it is equally fair to say those things would not have got done without Ian's way.

How could Moncton have ever lured the Rolling Stones to a field without Ian's genius? How could we have secured funding for the Stade Moncton Stadium on the Université de Moncton campus without some shrewd dealing on Ian's part? How could we be on the verge of a new downtown metro centre without Ian's push?

It is because of Ian's vision that the Magnetic Hill Concert Site has millions in infrastructure investment to lure even more world-class entertainers. It would have been easy - as some other municipalities did - to throw money at promoters to bring in the big names. But Ian knew better; he knew the difference between investment and profit.

One of the biggest measures of a man is the loyalty of his friends and co-workers. Ian's extended family was fiercely loyal. And they would be the first to admit there is no Ian Fowler succession plan. As good as many are on his team, it will take that entire team to continue the decade of momentum he built.

The last time I saw Ian was on my way out of the U2 concert this summer. My wife and I were navigating the muddy path on our way to a bus when the formidable figure that was Ian appeared in the distance.

Instead of sitting in a back-stage trailer raising a toast with promoters to another phenomenal show, there he was clad in a rain coat and knee-high rubbers, waving a flashlight.

He stopped me and I was struck by the earnestness in his voice.

"How did you like the show? Did you and your wife get up close?"

Ian knew my wife and I are huge U2 fans. But there was something different about Ian that night. It wasn't just small talk. It was almost as if he knew this would be the last time he got to see the post-concert buzz on the faces of people he knew.

Ian may not have known about the cancer diagnosis that wet July night, but I have wondered these past few days if he knew in his heart that this was it; that the amazing odyssey that started with the Rolling Stones would end with U2.

And yet, I'm confident it won't end.

Don't worry, my friend. Thanks to you, the band will play on.

* John Wishart is managing editor of The Daily Gleaner in Fredericton. For almost three decades, he worked at the Times & Transcript as a reporter and editor.

Final note - When the downtown events centre gets built (note I said when, not if), it will have been largely through the efforts of Ian Fowler. I wonder if it would not be a fitting tribute to this powerful individual to name it the Ian Fowler Memorial Arena.........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9363  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:12 PM
benvui's Avatar
benvui benvui is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shediac
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Final note - When the downtown events centre gets built (note I said when, not if), it will have been largely through the efforts of Ian Fowler. I wonder if it would not be a fitting tribute to this powerful individual to name it the Ian Fowler Memorial Arena[/COLOR].........
I've been thinking the same thing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9364  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:49 PM
David_99's Avatar
David_99 David_99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 853
Received a flyer in the mail stating the Grand Opening for the new Elmwood Sobeys is this Saturday. Price Chopper is closing tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9365  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:24 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Price Chopper is closing tomorrow.
Quelle surprise!!

The Lawton's on Elmwood near Morton will be next.....
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9366  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 9:30 PM
macas539's Avatar
macas539 macas539 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 63
Does anyone know what's afoot at assumption blvd and Vaughan Harvey near the ball fields? I drove by there today and trucks are dumping mounds of dirt and building up a large pad. I thought it may be just an expansion of the ball fields but it seems to be an awful large area and a lot of grading for that. This couldn't be where that new office building would go could it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9367  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 10:56 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
A Great Year So Far...

Just wanted to take a moment and mention that we have had an excellent construction season so far this year. The latest permit figures came out this week for Sept. and we are 40M above last year at this point!

This graph below shows the "Jan-Sept" portion of the years listed, for proper comparison. The value is 1 = 1,000,000$. I Included nearby markets as well for comparison.


This graph below shows the $ per person spent in each market. (again only the Jan-Sept period). Just noticed that on this one I put "1.23" instead of 2007 for some reason, so ignore that haha.




So as you can see we have spent the last few years doing consistently well, but this year a large jump! And that's without many "Signature" developments this year aka casino etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9368  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:54 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Some pics from the last couple days working (driving) around the area.

Just a few of the many things going on of course...however these ones I dont see very often so I suppose most of you dont either...

These pics were taken while driving with a cell phone so excuse the quality please

Harrisville Condos...just laid the foundation last week (this pic is terrible sorry)



200 Commerce St (Caledonia) New multi-tennant building. foundation is down.


Caledonia Warehouse 1 (60,000sq ft) (rumoured to be Canadian Tire Distrubution). They have almost 1/2 the steel up.


Caledonia Warehouse 2 (170,000sq ft) (rumoured to be McKesson Medical Distribution). Most of the exterior is up now.




Jean Coutou Shediac They are renovating the former Shoppers on Main. Looks much better.



Gov of Canada Shediac
Most of the exterior is up now.


Some other stuff

- Today I was in the Scoudouc Ind. Park and there are 3 new buildings going up. All in the 10-15,000 sq ft range. This is on top of the 2 new buildings in that same range that have gone up there in the last year. (both leased). I guess the new interchange paid off for that area!

- Peace Center is almost done

- There is a new apartment building that started behind Shoppers on St. George (beside one that was built last year) I assume it will be of similar design. 4 floors.

- They have about 1/4 of the structure up for Bella Casa II

- The new Valmond building off Vaughn Harvey hasnt changed much lately...there is activity on the site, just nothing visible. I'm assuming they are curing the foundation/underground parking etc. Most likely it will go up fast once they are done the foundation (a la Empire Theaters).

- Empire Theaters has most of its exterior up

- The "Flatiron Moncton" on mountain road has its foundation in. To me it screams drive thru coffee...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9369  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:16 AM
Hogie75 Hogie75 is offline
I have no Title
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick
Posts: 162
Restaurant opening

Relish burger on Main Street in the old jewelry store next to Cut Throat Pizza officially opened its doors today. Tried it and it is great!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9370  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:29 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331


Nice graphs and nice update mmmatt

I agree, your "flatiron" next to the Lily Chinese Buffet on Mountain Road screams "coffee" to me too, but I don't think it will be another Timmies. Given the shape and orientation of the building, I wonder about another Second Cup or perhaps a Starbucks.

So, you think the "behemoth" in Caledonia will be McKesson Medical Supplies. That place is truly massive, it would have to be the distribution centre for all of eastern Canada to justify the size of that building!!

Also interesting to see that the new distribution centre next door might be for Canadian Tire. It's only going to be half to two/thirds the size of the McKesson building.

I agree that progress on the Valmond building seems painfully slow, but I dare say that you are correct about the curing time for the concrete for the underground garage. It will be interesting to see if there will be a tower crane on site to assist in construction.

This weekend I hope to get out and take a few pics of the Mountain & Gorge area now that construction is finished.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9371  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:37 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by macas539 View Post
Does anyone know what's afoot at assumption blvd and Vaughan Harvey near the ball fields? I drove by there today and trucks are dumping mounds of dirt and building up a large pad. I thought it may be just an expansion of the ball fields but it seems to be an awful large area and a lot of grading for that. This couldn't be where that new office building would go could it?
I'm sure that it is just ongoing work at the Harold Page Memorial Sportsplex. I believe they refurbished half the playing fields last year, with the remainder of the work occurring next year.

The rumoured new office building will be going in across the street, on the northeast corner of the Vaughan Harvey/Assumption intersection.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9372  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:38 AM
macas539's Avatar
macas539 macas539 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 63
I see. I figured a building there would look slightly out of place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9373  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:54 AM
nwalbert nwalbert is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
A Great Year So Far...

Just wanted to take a moment and mention that we have had an excellent construction season so far this year. The latest permit figures came out this week for Sept. and we are 40M above last year at this point!
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your data from? Curious to have a look.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9374  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:12 AM
D3nZ D3nZ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 137
Not exacly sure if the commissioner of the QMJHL spilled the beans a little bit early. He just said on Sportsnet during the first intermission of the second game of the Super Series that there are 3 new arenas to be built for current teams in the Q. Gatineau, Drummondville and you guessed it Moncton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9375  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:54 AM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


I agree, your "flatiron" next to the Lily Chinese Buffet on Mountain Road screams "coffee" to me too, but I don't think it will be another Timmies. Given the shape and orientation of the building, I wonder about another Second Cup or perhaps a Starbucks.

Yeah one of those would be my first guess as well. Starbucks would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, you think the "behemoth" in Caledonia will be McKesson Medical Supplies. That place is truly massive, it would have to be the distribution centre for all of eastern Canada to justify the size of that building!!
Thats just a rumour that I've heard...Ive asked people who work nearby etc. Like you said it would have to be for a large part of Canada for them to need that much space, thats why I am personally a bit skeptical of that rumour...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Also interesting to see that the new distribution centre next door might be for Canadian Tire. It's only going to be half to two/thirds the size of the McKesson building.
Yeah, now that you say it perhaps people are getting wires crossed...maybe Can Tire is the larger one? Might make more sense...we will have to wait and see I guess. (unless they go incognito all the way like some others have )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9376  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 2:04 AM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your data from? Curious to have a look.
Sorry I usually post the links...

I used StatsCan for all the data as they are the definitive source.

The first table is all info that can be found by using this chronological list (there is a release every month):

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/bsolc/olc-cel/olc-cel?catno=64-001-X&chropg=1&lang=eng

I used only the September ones though of course. The specific table you need to find once into the specific month (aka sept 2008) is called:

"Value of residential and non-residential building permits, census metropolitan areas, unadjusted, cumulative, January to September 20**"

Here is the link to the most current table for example:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/64-001-x/2011009/t012-eng.htm

For the PEI numbers its the same process except you use the provincial table of course.

For the other table I used the same info and divided the dollar value by the population of that area. I used the median estimate (2009) for simplicity sake. Those population figures can be found here:

CMA (Hali, Monc, SJ)
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-x/2008000/t021-eng.htm

PEI
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-215-x/2009000/t458-eng.htm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9377  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 2:34 AM
nwalbert nwalbert is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Sorry I usually post the links...

I used StatsCan for all the data as they are the definitive source.

The first table is all info that can be found by using this chronological list (there is a release every month):
Awesome, thanks a ton for sharing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9378  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:48 AM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Sorry Im flooding the page today...but I've been off for a bit so give me a break!

I also found an updated site plan for the Mapleton Power Center recently!

Its from a leasing broker company. On the plan they list 5 retailers.

Now I'll post this but please remember that it is possible they are not confirmed.

This Image is dated Oct. 28 2010


source

1.
source

2.
source

3.
source

4.
source

5.
source

6.
source

The last one is just listed as "restaurant" on the plan...not sure if thats just an idea or they have someone lined up.

Here is the link to the full PDF file for the plan (better quality): http://www.paracom.on.ca/brochures/site_plans/391117397_moncton_site_plan___2011.pdf

There is an interesting looking snake-like feature on the bottom left...possibly a walkway down the hill?

Anyways, all in all this is a fantastic lineup of stores that we don't have yet. Freddy has a Pet Smart and is getting a Best Buy too, but as far as I know (correct me if wrong) these are the only planned Bed Bath and Beyond and Golf Town in NB.

Also with the movement of Cleve's from Trinity that will open up the slot for Bouclair, keeping that whole area full to capacity. So we could possibly see 6 new national retailers set up in the next year or so in this area!

To me it looks like the total sq footage says 268,000 (its a bit blurry) for all buildings on the plan. Trinity is 647,588. plus wal-mart, future shop, home depot, northwest center etc Id say we are looking at least 1,500,000 sq ft of retail in that area at this point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9379  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Actually I don't think Freddy is getting a Best Buy any time soon; but Bed Bath and Beyond is coming in the Colbert Centre expansion in the spring.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9380  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:41 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331


Excellent find mmmatt!!

I agree that your "snakey thing" will be a walkway down from the traffic lights at Mapleton/Trinity.

It's interesting to note that the development's internal street is called Brick Street. The building at the top end of the development (where they secured a variance a couple of months ago) is big enough for a Brick. The Brick was also supposed to be one of the original tenants of this development before the original iteration tanked.

Finally, at least two of the buildings at the entrance to the development look like they will be restaurants. We know that Ola (Ela) Greek Taverna and P. F. Chang's are planning on entering the Moncton market. Another possibility could be Jack Astor's
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:05 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.