HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 4:54 PM

$4.1M in Downtown Improvements

Quote:
Mayor Joe Fontana's unabashed enthusiasm to spend money to showcase London to the world through figure skating hit some rough ice Monday at city hall.

"Let's not nickel-and-dime this thing to death," an exasperated Fontana said, as several councillors balked at approving the administration's plan to shell out $4.1 million for the World Figure Skating Championships in 2013.

The community and neighbourhoods committee heard staff is suggesting $1.6 million in already planned spending, plus $1.8 million for downtown improvements and $720,000 in added operating costs.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for London," Fontana said. "You can't buy that kind of advertising" he said of the event to be televised in 60 countries.

Fontana said the investment is wise one the city can't afford to pass up, noting staff will report Wednesday the city has run up an operating budget surplus expected to reach $3.8 million by the end of this year.

But councillors Paul Van Meerbergen, Bill Armstrong and Steve Orser were reluctant to approve the spending limit and let staff pursue money through the budget process.

"We have to be very careful," Van Meerbergen cautioned, while conceding it is "a wonderful event."

"We have limited resources . . . so we want to make sure we get the very best bang for the buck," he said.

He said he didn't want to approve any overall spending plan and suggested more support be found from the private sector.

"The city of London brings enormous assets to the table," Van Meerbergen said of the event, expected to produce $22 million to $28 million in direct and indirect economic spinoffs.

Van Meerbergen failed to shoot down parts of the spending plan by breaking it into segments.

Armstrong worried about additional, unexpected policing costs. Orser thought the matter should be referred for further study and worried at Tourism London manager John Winston's determination to create a "festival atmosphere" in the core.

Staff said they need direction now to begin budgeting. City administrator Jeff Fielding sought support in principle at least.

"We didn't give you a Cadillac plan," Fielding said. "It's an incredible event. We can afford it. This is a very responsible plan."

Fontana pulled no punches in supporting money for the event.

"We have to look absolutely fantastic for this," he said. "We have to create a 'wow.' We may not have another opportunity."

If London is showcased well, he predicted, it could lead to other big-ticket events and this one will have a legacy.

As colleagues got bogged down in trying to avoid supporting the plan, which still must be approved by full council, Fontana grew testy.

"Let's deal with this once and for all," he pleaded. "Let's get on with this."

The plan passed and now goes to to council.

Winston said proponents of the event can live within the $4.1-million spending plan, which would "make us a player on the world stage."

Winston said hotels as far afield as Sarnia, Stratford and Ingersoll are booked for the event.

--- --- ---

SPENDING PLAN

Capital costs

Dundas St. repaving: $500,000 (already budgeted)
Street furniture: $10,000 (budgeted), $190,000 (not budgeted)
Tree planting: $400,000 (budgeted)
Market Lane upgrade: $150,000 (budgeted), $650,000 (not budgeted)
Market Plaza public art: $375,000 (not budgeted)
Operating costs

Giant projection screen: $600,000 (not budgeted)
Signs and enhanced lighting: $400,000 (not budgeted)
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18682181.html

What does everybody think? I think we should spend as much money as it takes to make London look nice, worldwide event or not! The core needs to be more attractive so businesses and residents will want to move into downtown!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 5:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

so long as the winos and junkies of Richmond/Dundas can be encouraged to...move somewhere else.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 5:24 PM
bro

I'm in favour of any upgrades that will be permanent such as street trees and furniture. I don't see anything wrong with fast-tracking downtown improvements for such an important event. I know some residents start to think "what about my neighbourhood?" when the money starts flowing downtown so I'd imagine some of these improvements won't end up happening. It sucks that people feel that way about downtown because I've always seen downtown as everyone's neighbourhood. A place where people from across the city work, play and mingle. Downtown will always be fighting to revitalize if this attitude persists.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 6:54 PM

I am all for it as long as it makes sense...and in this case it certainly does. London's downtown can certainly use some new furniture/better lighting/and a complete repaving job. While this is already needed this might be the push we need to just get it done.

Not sure exactly what the giant screen is but I would think some how the event would chip in for part of that cost?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 8:05 PM
User Registered

Seems fine with me. Don't know much about the giant screen though.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 10:47 PM

I think that it's great to combine special events with community upgrades as long as they're permanent. I am under the impression the JLC makes money, making the best of these institutions that are profitable is fundamental.

I was hopping there was a design for the street furniture out there some where, but I couldn't find any.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
I'm in favour of any upgrades that will be permanent such as street trees and furniture. I don't see anything wrong with fast-tracking downtown improvements for such an important event. I know some residents start to think "what about my neighbourhood?" when the money starts flowing downtown so I'd imagine some of these improvements won't end up happening. It sucks that people feel that way about downtown because I've always seen downtown as everyone's neighbourhood. A place where people from across the city work, play and mingle. Downtown will always be fighting to revitalize if this attitude persists.
200 to 300 million people will see this. There is no debate.

OK, I'm gonna say that again: 300 million people.

Sorry, I'm gonna repeat: 300 million people.

In other countries, they will raid the national treasure to do this

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 6:08 PM
bro

I straight up love you, Snark.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 4:27 AM
most inspired name ever

I also agree with you Snark, you can't buy this kind of publicity, London should be spending every damn cent it can on downtown right now.

Last edited by LondONstudent; Sep 20, 2011 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:43 PM

Seems like one of the better investments a city can make. Considering the money this will bring in for London area Hotels, Restaurants, Bars and nightclubs, stores, cabbies, buses, art galleries, gas stations and any other thing I can think to mention, also getting some core improvements seems like a price worth paying.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 12:33 AM
Torontonian Refugee

They forgot to budget the $5,320,000 for the giant background painting that obscures the tower blocks along Dundas and Colborne.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy