Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx
That is an awesome idea, Hoover. Each neighborhood's 'character' could be respesented through the style of the sign. San Diego has these enormous signs for their neighborhoods such as Hillcrest, Balboa Park, etc. I see something not quite that big but it would make a terrific gateway if it was done.
|
I
love San Diego's neighborhood signs as I mention in the article I linked. Obviously something hanging over the street wouldn't work in this situation, since each 'hood sort of meets at the point of the intersection.
I'm thinking something along the following lines*: (dunno how well you can read these images so I'll do captions)
Facing into the intersection I'm imaging something like this. The bottom portion could be weathered Corten metal with cacti, flowers, succulents, etc growing in it. For the vertical/obelisk portion maybe stained concrete. Each neighborhoods name and year of founding would be in large, prominent letters (each 'hood could have a different font or color, etc).
I figured the bottom part should have the City of PHX emblem on it to keep it clear that these are neighborhoods within PHX, not their own municipalities.
The signs would have to be oriented so that the main portion with the name faced the middle of the intersection.
The other 3 sides of the square-ish obelisks could have more information.
I'm thinking maybe one side would have a timeline of the neighborhoods history as well as a few paragraphs about the 'hood.
Another side could have a collage of pictures from throughout the neighborhoods history.
The side opposite the main sign (the side facing into the retail) could have a portion for a Map of the neighborhood. It could also have a place for residents to post events, sales, piano lessons, etc. It could also have a section for neighborhood wide events like Home Tours and the like.
*Keep in mind I am not a professional Public Artist, Architect, am mediocre at drawing, etc and I just drew this real quick while sitting on the couch and was too lazy to scan it so I just took a picture. Its just a random idea/jumping off point...but its a thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252
I'm all for it as long as it doesn't look like the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 and fake insignia at the entrances of all new subdivisions. This isn't "Del Boca Vista Phase II Condo Association" for 🞵🞵🞵🞵's sake.
|
"Take the pen!" "I don't want the pen" "You said you liked the pen--- take it!" "Jerry, Take the pen!"