Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613
What Ottawa needs is a new Robert Campeau...a developer who believes in logical density and and has vision and isn't afraid of the old guard. I think things will change soon. The baby boomers are getting old and they seem to be the predominant generation of NIMBY's, and they are on every street and in almost every seat in city council. I feel the next generation of politicians and prominent residents will be far more accommodating to a new vision for Ottawa, one that matches the city in size and still respects the fact that it is the Capital.
|
I wouldn't paint all boomers with the same brush, but by and large I agree. I think that Ottawa-Gatineau has been growing at a very consistent rate for a very long period of time (especially compared to other cities in Canada) and that much of the older population (I would include with the Boomers, while we're generalizing, the current seniors and sadly the Gen Xers as well) hasn't yet come to terms with the fact that we are a first-tier city in Canada, not a second-tier city.
Vancouver is less than double our size, not many multiples our size, and Montreal is now less than three times our size. We are at the core of our own regional hinterland which we service (we are "the City" to Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec, and also to a lesser degree the urban centre that services Northern Ontario & Nunavut). We are a city of almost a million with a metro region of almost 1.5 million - the up and coming generations seem to be much more urban, and cognescent of this fact.
Quote:
|
I don't think any of us on here who criticize the NIMBYs and the height restrictions want to destroy the damned sightlines to parliament hill. It's the rest of the city we're fighting for. When a developer is too scared to propose a building over 27 stories ANYWHERE in the core we have a problem. Time and patience, let's see what happens in five years!
|
Exactly! Maybe there's good reason for the next phase of Place de Ville to be no higher than any of the others, but why can't we have some nice towers with real & significant height in Little Italy, Tunney's Pasture, Hurdman, Confederation Heights, the undeveloped part of Carleton U Campus, Vanier at the Parkway & Montreal Road, CFB Rockliffe, or other similar locations?