HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #961  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:30 AM
davidivivid davidivivid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,073
Superb article from a Globe and Mail journalist!! It is quite a bit longer than what I posted here so I encourage you to read it all by clicking on the link.

Quote:
How I fell in love with Montreal

As we sit beneath a canopy of trees in Montreal’s Parc La Fontaine, my tour guide pours me a paper cup full of sparkling cider and gently knocks it – “Salut!” – against the side of his own. We had been leisurely cycling through residential streets, parks and alleyways all morning, and this informal picnic of effervescent cider and delicious, gourmet salmon wraps is the perfect coda to my introduction to the city.

Montreal has always reminded me of an unapproachable crush – it’s arty and sophisticated, and, to me, seems to possess an impenetrable coolness. In recent years, the rise of its indie music scene, trendsetting street fashion and unapologetically rustic comfort cuisine has only added to its mystique.

On previous visits, I had felt every bit the awkward outsider. I’d wander the streets of Old Montreal or take in the view from atop Mount Royal, keenly aware that those who lived here were going to the better bars, eating fabulous food and participating in all sorts of amazing activities that I couldn’t even begin to imagine.

This time, I wanted to crack that barrier. So I joined a tour.

Guided tours are typically the antithesis of cool. But Shea Mayer’s Fitz & Follwell Co. is a different kind of tour company. As the Montreal resident explains, his cycling tours aren’t just meant to take visitors to the most popular tourist attractions. Rather, they’re based on his idea of a perfect day in the city.

“That’s how I designed the routes: What’s my favourite bagel place? Where do I think the best coffee is? What do I do when I go down to the market?” he says.

His Bike & Yoga tour, for example, takes visitors through the bohemian neighbourhood of Le Plateau, with a break along the way for smoothies at his favourite juice bar and stops for yoga sessions in three of the area’s tranquil parks. His all-day Mountainside to Riverbank package offers a more challenging ride for seasoned cyclists up to the top of Mount Royal, then down along the St. Lawrence River to Saint-Helen’s and Notre Dame Islands.

I chose to tag along on his ’Hoods and Hidden Gems tour, lured by the promise I would be immersed “in the local hangouts of the city’s hippest habitants.”

Upon my arrival at his Mount-Royal West Avenue shop, Mr. Mayer sets me up with a sleek black city cruiser, which he has christened “Jeanne,” after the pioneering Montreal nurse Jeanne Mance. (All of the bikes at his shop are similarly named after the city’s historic figures, like “Molson” after the beer tycoon, and “Lili” after the legendary burlesque dancer Lili St Cyr.)

Montreal is renowned for being a bike-friendly city, with designated cycling lanes throughout the side streets and thoroughfares. It’s also the launching pad for the now-famous Bixi, a bike-sharing system that allows users to rent a vehicle from one of the many stations scattered around town and deposit it at another station when they’re finished riding. The system has proved so popular that cities around the world, from Toronto to Melbourne, have adopted it.

But because Bixi bikes are meant for only short commutes, they’re not ideal for longer, leisurely trips. My Jeanne offers a smoother ride.

Mr. Mayer leads our small group through the tony francophone enclave of Outremont and Le Plateau. Along our route, he stops to point out quirky details, not always found in guide books, such as where larpers (live action role players) gather to enact their fantastical battles or where resident bohemians hold their “tam tams,” or drum sessions.

[...]
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/trav...ll-in-love-with-montreal/article2192143/
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #962  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:37 AM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
I miss Montreal. I miss my Mile-end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #963  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:37 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I miss Montreal. I miss my Mile-end.
T'es où Rico?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #964  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:05 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,073
Je crois qu'il est dorénavant à Vancouver.
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #965  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 4:51 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
En effet, je suis a Vancouver. Belle ville, vraiment cool. Petite comparaison entre les deux villes:


vancouver offre une meilleur expérience nature. A 30 seconde de mon condo il y a une nature de beauté incroyable. Il y a des plages partout (et des belles plages aussi avec de l'eau salé) et une nature qu'on a simplement pas au Québec. L'architecture contemporaine est aussi supérieure a Vancouver (je ne parles pas simplement de leur tour a condo mais aussi des 'petits' projet).

Mais a la fin, c'est Montréal qui offre une meilleur expérience urbaine et complete.

Vancouver = expérience parfaite mixte urbaine/nature
Montreal = expérience urbaine totale
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #966  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:11 PM
sebast13's Avatar
sebast13 sebast13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 708
On a pas de nature au Québec? Je pense que tu parles seulement de l'Île de Montréal On ressent la proximité de la nature presque partout ailleurs, à mon avis.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #967  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:14 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebast13 View Post
On a pas de nature au Québec? Je pense que tu parles seulement de l'Île de Montréal On ressent la proximité de la nature presque partout ailleurs, à mon avis.
Ce que je voulais dire, c'est que la nature a BC est nettement plus impressionante. Grande momntagnes, gros arbres, des espaces complètement libre de developpement partout (meme dans et autour de vancouver). En bref, on a plus un sense de nature a vancouver qu'on a Montreal. Il faut le voir pour le croire. Il y a une famille de chevreuille qui vive dans la cours de notre condo!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #968  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 4:09 AM
MTLskyline's Avatar
MTLskyline MTLskyline is offline
The good old days are now
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,258
I have some new renderings of the District Griffin project for you! This is an SSP exclusive.









Source: http://www.ibigroup.com/Pages/Project.as...or.aspxxDisciplineId=2ssectorId=40ppage=

I've got to say, it reminds me a bit of the aLoft Hotel in Brussels!


(my photo)

Last edited by MTLskyline; Oct 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #969  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 8:02 AM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
wow, this is some interesting mix of colours and styles. Very interesting. Although I can't say I'm too fond of this:




Thanks MTL!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #970  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 1:19 PM
digitboy's Avatar
digitboy digitboy is offline
digital b0y
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rimouski
Posts: 3,636
Not bad at all when you compare with what there is at this location at the moment.

Thanks for sharing !
__________________
immobilism :

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #971  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 8:58 PM
lake of the nations's Avatar
lake of the nations lake of the nations is offline
Utilisateur enregistré
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Posts: 2,044
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #972  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 9:50 PM
Darkoshvilli Darkoshvilli is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,476
What is that building in between both cibc towers?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #973  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 10:37 PM
MTLskyline's Avatar
MTLskyline MTLskyline is offline
The good old days are now
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,258
Those other two are really old renderings that groupe cholette had posted on its website before the District Griffin project was announced (I think from summer 2010).

You can disregard those! (that's why I purposefully did not post them)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #974  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 11:26 PM
urbino urbino is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Superb article from a Globe and Mail journalist!! It is quite a bit longer than what I posted here so I encourage you to read it all by clicking on the link.



http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/trav...ll-in-love-with-montreal/article2192143/

Bonjour,

je vous invite aussi à aller lire les commentaires sur le blog qui suit l'article.

Cela est asez instructif.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #975  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 12:37 AM
mr.John mr.John is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,021
looking at the image with the loft hotel I noticed that ugly square in front of the building made of concrete,I hope this doesn't become another Viger square
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #976  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 1:08 AM
montrealer's Avatar
montrealer montrealer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Posts: 134
J'adore les nouveaux rendus, plus particuliérement l'hotel du groupe germain, ce quartier va étre complétement méconnaissable
__________________
Sherby
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #977  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 9:14 PM
G.S MTL's Avatar
G.S MTL G.S MTL is offline
MTL♥
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,495
so that bell centre tower was increased to 62 floors now?? 195m?....wow anyone got news on it?
__________________
Montreal, Pearl of Canada.
Population: 4.5 Million
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #978  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 11:30 PM
Alexcaban's Avatar
Alexcaban Alexcaban is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal/Vancouver
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
looking at the image with the loft hotel I noticed that ugly square in front of the building made of concrete,I hope this doesn't become another Viger square
Thats not in Montreal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #979  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 11:34 PM
Alexcaban's Avatar
Alexcaban Alexcaban is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal/Vancouver
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
so that bell centre tower was increased to 62 floors now?? 195m?....wow anyone got news on it?
More info maybe after tomorrow...

Séance ordinaire du conseil d’arrondissement du mardi 11 octobre 2011 19 h
http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/document...1_19h00_FR.pdf

Salle de l’Ermitage
Collège de Montréal
3510, chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges

PROJET D’ORDRE DU JOUR

40.23 Urbanisme - Projet particulier d'urbanisme

CA Direction de l'aménagement urbain et des services aux entreprises - 1114400021

Adopter une résolution autorisant la construction d'une tour mixte (commerces et habitation) adjacente au Centre Bell, sur l'emplacement au sud-est de l'intersection de la rue de la Montagne et de l'avenue des Canadiens/Tour Avenue des Canadiens en vertu du Règlement sur les projets particuliers deconstruction, de modification ou d'occupation d'un immeuble - 1er projet de résolution

District(s) : Peter-McGill
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #980  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:13 AM
G.S MTL's Avatar
G.S MTL G.S MTL is offline
MTL♥
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,495
well i tried my best to make a drawing for the diagram! at 195m its there!
__________________
Montreal, Pearl of Canada.
Population: 4.5 Million
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.