HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7841  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:22 PM
chad.farnes chad.farnes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 128
As far as the development on State Street in concerned, I agree with everyone's concerns about developers skimping on restorations to save a buck or two. However, the company restoring it (at least from what I can tell from Utah Urban Forum) is La Porte. I have been impressed with some of the other properties that they own around town (such as the one on the corner of 2nd and 2nd, the Stratford. It is one of my favorite buildings around town). If there is anyone going to do the restoration/construction, I think that they are one of the best choices. Also, on the Urban Forum, another proposal is listed for the same piece of property. That proposal does absolutely nothing to preserve the history of the property and actually destroys everything except for the house on Floral. I think that that the currently proposal and restoration is at least commendable and preserves some of Salt Lake's unique character. Finally, even if it does turn out "bad," I don't think it could look any worse than it currently does.
     
     
  #7842  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 7:06 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.farnes View Post
As far as the development on State Street in concerned, I agree with everyone's concerns about developers skimping on restorations to save a buck or two. However, the company restoring it (at least from what I can tell from Utah Urban Forum) is La Porte. I have been impressed with some of the other properties that they own around town (such as the one on the corner of 2nd and 2nd, the Stratford. It is one of my favorite buildings around town). If there is anyone going to do the restoration/construction, I think that they are one of the best choices. Also, on the Urban Forum, another proposal is listed for the same piece of property. That proposal does absolutely nothing to preserve the history of the property and actually destroys everything except for the house on Floral. I think that that the currently proposal and restoration is at least commendable and preserves some of Salt Lake's unique character. Finally, even if it does turn out "bad," I don't think it could look any worse than it currently does.
I agree that it is great to preserve and restore the history of the area and this proposal has the potential of doing just that. I haven't completely discounted the potential especially of the Rex being a great restoration. But your assertion that a multimillion dollar project having as it's standard of excellence just looking better than a pile of trash is a sad commentary on where we are as a community. We shouldn't be happy with "whatever" we get just because at least it isn't garbage. Developers should feel embarrassed, because of community pressure and their own education (or sad lack thereof), not to show us sophisticated, accurately historical or truly innovative contemporary structures. There are places in this world where developers actually have pride in there architectural education and don't just see the arts (especially the practical art of architecture) as the sole realm of the intellectual elite.

The Seattle community and architectural critics use to (I don't know if they still do) give an award called the Golden Onion for the worst architectural projects. It was an embarrassment to get and really mattered to the community at large. We need something like that to say that the measure of our expectations isn't that something just look better than some abandoned building.

After all, we all have to live with the results, good or bad, of this project for at least the next 25-30 years. We should be able to demand more from developers and architects then their mediocre best.

BTW, it doesn't cost more for correct historical design. It is just takes hiring architects that haven't forgotten, and still understand, the rules.

Sorry chad.farnes this wasn't really directed at you. I am just a bit frustrated at some of the work we have been seeing lately.
     
     
  #7843  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 7:49 PM
Lilljemalm Lilljemalm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 140
[QUOTE=livedowntown;5428981]I agree that it is great to preserve and restore the history of the area and this proposal has the potential of doing just that. I haven't completely discounted the potential especially of the Rex being a great restoration. But your assertion that a multimillion dollar project having as it's standard of excellence just looking better than a pile of trash is a sad commentary on where we are as a community. We shouldn't be happy with "whatever" we get just because at least it isn't garbage. Developers should feel embarrassed, because of community pressure and their own education (or sad lack thereof), not to show us sophisticated, accurately historical or truly innovative contemporary structures. There are places in this world where developers actually have pride in there architectural education and don't just see the arts (especially the practical art of architecture) as the sole realm of the intellectual elite...



but it could be worse --- at least SLC isn't Phoenix, land of brown paint and stucco.
     
     
  #7844  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 7:57 PM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedowntown View Post
Developers should feel embarrassed, because of community pressure and their own education (or sad lack thereof), not to show us sophisticated, accurately historical or truly innovative contemporary structures. There are places in this world where developers actually have pride in there architectural education and don't just see the arts (especially the practical art of architecture) as the sole realm of the intellectual elite.
I completely agree with you, but realistically I don't see this happening in America, sadly we are a disposable nation. We don't make things that last. I think reality is this project is about as much as we can expect from a developer. It's far and away a better project than the Apartments on North Temple, just from the standpoint that they're preserving a couple of historic buildings. And although I too am worried about the execution of this development, it certainly is a step in the right direction from what we've seen built recently. (City Creek excluded)
     
     
  #7845  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 8:10 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
I completely agree with you, but realistically I don't see this happening in America, sadly we are a disposable nation. We don't make things that last. I think reality is this project is about as much as we can expect from a developer. It's far and away a better project than the Apartments on North Temple, just from the standpoint that they're preserving a couple of historic buildings. And although I too am worried about the execution of this development, it certainly is a step in the right direction from what we've seen built recently. (City Creek excluded)
Yea I know but your last phrase that City Creek should be excluded gives some hope. City Creek is far from perfect but it's a very high quality project with real substance. It should excite everyone that such a good project is ours. At the very least it should be the new standard. "At least it's better than City Creek" would really mean something. That would be a very high bar indeed.
     
     
  #7846  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 8:15 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilljemalm View Post
but it could be worse --- at least SLC isn't Phoenix, land of brown paint and stucco.
Yea but that's all the more incentive to not let us become a Salt Lake version of Phoenix. It could be much worse (I have seen much, much worse) but it could be so much better. I like facing uphill. You know, lets do better and expect more.
     
     
  #7847  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 8:58 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
I have to admit, I don't understand the fuss. The proposal we're all drawing these conclusions from is the black and white single rendering we have, correct? Hard to see how it's going to look in reality. And for what we've got, I like it.
Yes, the architects/future architects don't care for it, but forgive me, I'm kinda used to you guys not liking anything we get. So in my own opinion, I'm still excited for this project and can't wait to see it get underway.
     
     
  #7848  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 9:03 PM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedowntown View Post
Yea I know but your last phrase that City Creek should be excluded gives some hope. City Creek is far from perfect but it's a very high quality project with real substance. It should excite everyone that such a good project is ours. At the very least it should be the new standard. "At least it's better than City Creek" would really mean something. That would be a very high bar indeed.
Is that not being a bit utopian? Of course there's a place for critiquing architecture, but it's not going to do much good if no one takes the bait. I'm hearing a lot of complaints but no one's really suggesting any solutions. None that are very practical, anyway. I think the only way local architecture is really going to improve (as far as public scrutinization goes) is if expectations are modest and achievable by frugal developers.

Businesses and people in Utah tend to have very conservative tastes. For good and for bad, there's not much of a war to create the nicest and most impressive architecture here. I don't see that changing any time soon. This has to be accounted for in creating local architecture. People aren't going to pay high prices for things they don't appreciate.

What worked in Seattle might not work here. They're two very different places. We already have design awards, for example, but they don't mean squat to the public. Every year, it seems, nearly every major construction project is in the running for the People's Choice, which gets hardly any attention itself.
     
     
  #7849  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 10:19 PM
Dale Dale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,960
Don't get what appears to border on self-loathing. I think City Creek (and so much of what SLC is doing) is stunning. But maybe I'm easy to please.
     
     
  #7850  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:11 AM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Photo Update: 9/30/11


Courthouse











Public Safety Building
Nothing too exciting going on




IHC Hospital (900 E 400 S)










     
     
  #7851  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:45 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Already on level three. Not long now before we see the Courthouse peak out of the skyline. Thank you for those updates.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #7852  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:54 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Are there renderings for the new IHC Hospital? I didn't realize that was even happening. Time to start paying attention, I guess.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #7853  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 3:56 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Are there renderings for the new IHC Hospital? I didn't realize that was even happening. Time to start paying attention, I guess.
New IHC Clinic @ 900 E. / 400 S. :

     
     
  #7854  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 5:47 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Great updates SLCdude! I'm glad the new hospital finally got some well deserved exposure.
     
     
  #7855  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 6:23 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Thanks, Ark! I had the worst surgical experience of my life at the old place--it'll be nice to see this being built at that corner. *shudder*
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #7856  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 6:39 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I digress but yesterday I had an old billboard pop into my head that was once just past 600 S. ramp that said Drunk drivers exit here.
     
     
  #7857  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 11:53 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.farnes View Post
As far as the development on State Street in concerned, I agree with everyone's concerns about developers skimping on restorations to save a buck or two. However, the company restoring it (at least from what I can tell from Utah Urban Forum) is La Porte. I have been impressed with some of the other properties that they own around town (such as the one on the corner of 2nd and 2nd, the Stratford....
OOOOOOoHHHH!!! I LOVE the Stratford!!!
     
     
  #7858  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 4:03 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Does La Porte have a website?
     
     
  #7859  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 5:17 AM
chad.farnes chad.farnes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 128
Yes they do. Its thelaportegroup.com. If you click on "Project list" you can see all of their projects from the past. They also have listed under current projects the State Street Plaza but there isn't any link.

For anyone not familiar with the Stratford, here's a picture:
     
     
  #7860  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 6:01 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
From their website:

http://thelaportegroup.com/services/historic-rehabilitation/

Quote:
The importance of preserving our past is of the upmost importance to La Porte Group. We believe that by maintaining something of the past in our metropolitan areas, we help to diversify an ever more modern cityscape. The architecture of our past is beautiful in its detail and unique design. We are devoted to preserving the architecture of the past for future generations. Our construction and building design teams work together to preserve as many of the historical aspects of each rehabilitation project we assume. Details that our saved range from windows to iron work to facade. Many of our buildings are included on the historic building register, and we take pride in the fact that future generations will be able to enjoy this beautiful piece of history.
If they're as good as their word...
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.