HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #321  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 9:33 AM
Hed Kandi's Avatar
Hed Kandi Hed Kandi is offline
+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,575
..

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #322  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 3:43 PM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Thanks for the link Jlousa.

The reconfigured park looks good and allows for the continuation of development along Pacific as opposed to the huge dead zone that would have been created with the old plan. And is that a new beach I'm seeing?!?!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #323  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:23 PM
idunno idunno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 956
New beach! That would be awesome. Now only if we could remove the stigma that "False Creek is dirty" which some people might have. Maybe by the time the development is complete...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #324  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:26 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
It's not a stigma... FC sees a lot of vessel traffic and does not get flushed out regularly.

Not to mention I think several storm drains flow directly into the water there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #325  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:31 PM
cc85 cc85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Island City
Posts: 451
It is not a good sign when you have to avoid allowing water from False Creek to get into your eyes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #326  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:43 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Thanks for the link Jlousa.

The reconfigured park looks good and allows for the continuation of development along Pacific as opposed to the huge dead zone that would have been created with the old plan. And is that a new beach I'm seeing?!?!
A beach would be nice. But there's no point of having one, if people can't, or won't go, because of fears that the water may be contaminated, or dirty. I'd like a beach over in that area, too, I think that'd be great for the Summers. and the park is nice, more greenery, the better

I think in the rendering, I also see some courts between the bridges! woohoo! that'd be awesome to have them there. shelter them a bit from the rain as well. that'd be cool. good and creative usage of space!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #327  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:47 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
I'm not against the beach, its still nice to lay in the sand and it would be great for dog owners, I just don't think you would catch me in that water.

might be a great spot for a beach/pool combo a la Kits or 2nd Beach.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #328  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:05 PM
IanS IanS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'm not against the beach, its still nice to lay in the sand and it would be great for dog owners, I just don't think you would catch me in that water.

might be a great spot for a beach/pool combo a la Kits or 2nd Beach.
FWIW, the most recent (I think) test results from the City seem to show that the water in False Creek is safe to swim in. At least, as safe as English Bay, anyway.

http://www.vch.ca/media/beachwaterquality_July5_2011.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #329  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:10 PM
Zassk Zassk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,303
Water quality of False Creek can be improved over time. Fraser River water in Metro Vancouver is much safer than it was 50 years ago. Note in the PDF above that the Fraser measured nearly as clean as English Bay - whereas even 20 years ago it was utterly unsafe. I expect False Creek has also had an improving trend as industry left. I would like to see the NEFC beach built and used as a motivation to clean up the water.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #330  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:12 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
The beach should be thought of as an urban beach, like the artificial beaches along the Seine in Paris: a place not to go swimming, but to hang out, suntan, people-watch, have an urban volleyball tournament, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #331  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:50 PM
djmk's Avatar
djmk djmk is offline
victory in near
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Water quality of False Creek can be improved over time. Fraser River water in Metro Vancouver is much safer than it was 50 years ago. Note in the PDF above that the Fraser measured nearly as clean as English Bay - whereas even 20 years ago it was utterly unsafe. I expect False Creek has also had an improving trend as industry left. I would like to see the NEFC beach built and used as a motivation to clean up the water.
The Fraser River is much different than False Creek.

A river is continuously cleaning itself because the polluted water is always flowing away and is replaced by fresh water. Once the pollution source is removed, the river cleans itself.

False creek is the opposite. Polluted water gets trapped. After a rainfall, all that grime comes off the road and flows into False Creek and stays. Or a moronic house boat owner with septic tank issues and has a spill, it stays. Or sewer overflow, or all that pollution from industry 100 years ago.... it's still there in the contaminated soil beneath the water.

gross.
__________________
i have no idea what's going on
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #332  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:55 PM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
As IanS has already posted the water is already safe enough to swim in, beleive storm drain run off has almost been elimanated completely with the lastest round of sewer seperation. The occassional spikes are caused by boaters illegally dumping their sewage. Easy to solve just ban mooring anywhere east of the Cambie bridge, or better yet the Burrard St Bridge.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #333  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 7:09 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Safe to swim is far different from desirable to swim.

According to reports Lake Ontario is safe to swim but you wouldn't catch me in there in a hundred years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #334  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 7:57 PM
Built Form Built Form is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 697
^Not even at Hanlan's Point? What about Hamilton Harbour then?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #335  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 8:55 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
New beach! That would be awesome. Now only if we could remove the stigma that "False Creek is dirty" which some people might have. Maybe by the time the development is complete...
Stigma???? That water's not dirty, it's disgusting!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #336  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 9:59 PM
idunno idunno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 956
Ok fine - I guess this would become an urban beach - similar to the new Sugar Beach development in Toronto if you've been there. Although I would have to say, a False Creek Bay/Beach would top Sugar Beach for sure. At least the sand would actually go into the water!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #337  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 10:19 PM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,213
False creek definitely needs something to get the water moving and get some of the grime out. After dragonboating around there for 2 years there is no way I'd be willing to swim in that water. Most of the time it was either a dark brown or dark green colour with noticible solids floating around. Even if they built this beach, which is 5 blocks from my current house, I think I'd just keep going to somewhere a bit nicer.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #338  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 10:24 PM
Jebby's Avatar
Jebby Jebby is offline
........
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
The beach should be thought of as an urban beach, like the artificial beaches along the Seine in Paris: a place not to go swimming, but to hang out, suntan, people-watch, have an urban volleyball tournament, etc.
Berlin has some great beaches/beach bars too. I'd love to see something like this in vancouver

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #339  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 11:16 PM
peterprinciple peterprinciple is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
A beach would be nice. But there's no point of having one, if people can't, or won't go, because of fears that the water may be contaminated, or dirty. I'd like a beach over in that area, too, I think that'd be great for the Summers. and the park is nice, more greenery, the better

I think in the rendering, I also see some courts between the bridges! woohoo! that'd be awesome to have them there. shelter them a bit from the rain as well. that'd be cool. good and creative usage of space!
I love this and therefore I just know it will pass...hahahah. I just hope there will be gardens full of colour incorporated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #340  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 11:37 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,779
In addition to allowing a more linear park, the row of towers along Pacifc provides visual continuity to Citygate too.

My only comment is that the form of development is more along the lines of Concord's towers in the park at Cooper's Park - rather than a more "urban" tower and podium form of development.
While there may be a commercial node at the Plaza of Nations and the Georgia Steps, I don't see any connectivity to the north (through the Concord site). I suspect that'll maintain the isolation of the Plaza of Nations site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.