Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason
But what I didn't say is that I think a lot of support for a larger stadium from both politicians and the general public comes from the idea that we might have a chance at CFL - if you build it they might come?
|
It is an awkward situation because some people want the CFL stadium but they won't get federal or probably provincial funding for an explicitly CFL-related plan. I believe this is reasonable. The public should not be paying directly for a private pro sports facility.
It seems to me however that it is possible to make a case for a modest but adequately-sized stadium in Halifax even if the CFL is removed from the picture. This is the way to go, and in any case it makes more sense because the CFL is not a sure bet by any stretch. If a CFL team does happen then they can cut a deal with the public stadium, paying out a share of ticket sales (public ends up net ahead compared to running stadium with no CFL) and maybe putting some money into some improvements.