HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2441  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Another rumor at UT has it that the lot across from the Menkes site at Harbourfront, owned by Tridel will be 75 storeys.


I just read this today at UT, but apparently this news has been out for a couple of days.

• Menkes almost has no choice now but to go higher than 70 storeys for it's project, otherwise it will be boxed in with no views, even 60 storeys is gonna be rediculous shot at this spot

• Hope some news filters out soon in regards to Menkes plans.

• Whippersnapper is gonna have a heart attack, when he finds out about this. Lol!
     
     
  #2442  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Hey I was just thinking about the twin 80 storey tower over the Holt Renfrew:

• It has occured to me that Holt's and Cumberland Terrace share foundations and a common basement level

• 🞵🞵🞵 has happened to the Cumberland Terrace proposal with the twin tower condo and redeveloped retail.

• Seems to be these guys are getting ready to co-ordinate their construction schedules to minimize downtime at a very profitable piece of real estate.

• We could see 4 Towers going up one time, 3 of them over 500 meters, 2 of them over 270 meters.

• Whippersnapper is not gonna like my theory one bit.
     
     
  #2443  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 12:58 PM
Travis007's Avatar
Travis007 Travis007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,213
Still waiting for confirmation but the HR site would be a perfect location for this kind of density. The current 2 storey structure is a primed for redevelopment, especially considering how every near adjacent lot is going high density. Although I do feel that the Cumberland Terrace redevelopment should be a higher priority, considering those plans have been around for years (if not, decades). But I have a gut feeling that the proposal for that perennial eyesore has become stale. Which would be a shame if they miss the boat (again) as the market is still relatively hot.
__________________
Flickr
     
     
  #2444  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:05 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
3 of them over 500 meters, 2 of them over 270 meters.
Over 500M? That's ridiculous even for you.
     
     
  #2445  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:10 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Over 500M? That's ridiculous even for you.
500 feet.


• Great Gulf must be kicking themselves right now, they've got to have heard word on these rumours, they are connected.

• I wonder what they are thinking they only went 70 storeys with the One Bloor site

• Maybe they didnt have the design and construction capability to build any taller.

• I kinda feel sorry for them One Bloor is about to become filler.
     
     
  #2446  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:38 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
     
     
  #2447  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:17 PM
Travis007's Avatar
Travis007 Travis007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,213
I wouldn't exactly feel sorry for Great Gulf. 70 storeys was a big deal couple years ago (still is today), and would still tower over everything else at Yonge/Bloor. IMO, 500 feet would be filler status but 780 ft is still pretty significant anywhere in this city. Hindsight is 20/20, at that point no one envisioned 80 storey towers to be proposed in the near future. And before this gets overhyped, there's no guarantee that these 80 storeys will be approved at that height, or eventually built yet.
__________________
Flickr
     
     
  #2448  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:55 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,163
I love how there is not a single 80 storey proposal yet One Bloor is already filler in Caltrane's mind.

I'd love to spend a day in his head, I think it would be a blast.
     
     
  #2449  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 5:19 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Everything in my mind, flows to my figure tips, then to the keyboard, and your computer screen.

As far as I am concerned, anyone on this board is already in my mind.
     
     
  #2450  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:10 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
I envision Caltrane as a hyper 25 year old.

He hears that his grandfather is 80 and comes and posts about on here that its a 80 storey tower rumour.
     
     
  #2451  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:16 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Funny enough, in real life I'm anything but hyper. I'm the personification of a Kool Cat.

Still though, when it comes to skyscrapers, I'm 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 fanatical.

_______________________________________________________________


One more rumour for you guys:

Apparently to make way for the twin tower (80 floor development) the existing Holt Renfrew will be torn down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzo View Post
I cant say exactly who or which Firm I base my information off of- but I will say that I saw the renderings for this project very recently- as of 1 month ago. And yes From what I was looking at and who I was talking to, Holts will be torn down and incorporated.
     
     
  #2452  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:31 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,816
Even if a 100 floor tower and twin 80 floor towers and a few others go up in yorkville, One Bloor would still not be "filler" any more than Commerce Court West is "filler" in the CBD. It's basically the same height and there are 3 taller towers in the same area, but it is still prominent as hell.
     
     
  #2453  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:13 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
As much as it surprises me to say, Caltrane's Toronto as Manhattan is slowly coming true.

With 900-1000 foot buildings potentially going up in Yorkville we could be witnessing Yorkville overshadowing the CBD ala Midtown over Downtown.
     
     
  #2454  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:19 PM
blacktrojan3921's Avatar
blacktrojan3921 blacktrojan3921 is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Everything in my mind, flows to my figure tips, then to the keyboard, and your computer screen.

As far as I am concerned, anyone on this board is already in my mind.
Heeeeeeeeeelp, I can't get out. Too many skyscrapers for me to handle D8
     
     
  #2455  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:22 PM
vegeta_skyline vegeta_skyline is offline
Registered User, Maybe
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Windsor
Posts: 1,257
Cal's like a prophet converting non-believers lol
of course there is still much work to be done...
     
     
  #2456  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
steveve's Avatar
steveve steveve is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Another rumor at UT has it that the lot across from the Menkes site at Harbourfront, owned by Tridel will be 75 storeys.
can someone tell me where exactly this lot is? i'm a we bit confused lol!

and yeah, this came out of left field... twin 80 stories at Holt/Cumberland??? that's just weird. but heck. Something THAT HUGE creating a WHOLE NEW STREETWALL along Bloor will change this like CRAZY! a manhattan style feel. with HUGE looming towers right up to the street.... crazy... love it...
__________________
Visualizing the future of Toronto's urban centres Website @FutureModelTO
     
     
  #2457  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 10:41 PM
Dale Dale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,960
I'm bored with Toronto. Somebody PM me when there's a 120-story proposal.
     
     
  #2458  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 10:51 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Holt Renfrew redevelopment has been around for years. We'll see.

Caltrane, you got me all wrong. I just don't see Menkes slapping up a couple Ice type residential towers and calling it a day. It just doesn't make financial sense to me.

Great Gulf could of sold out a 250 storey building. Why they didn't therefore build a 250 storey building is beyond me.
     
     
  #2459  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 11:15 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Apparently prep work has commenced on 1021 West hastings.

At 143 meters, this tower will be a great addition to Vancouver. It may not be the tallest, but it is still #37 on this list and has a fantastic design.



Of course the exiting part is this is Vancouver's first full office tower to start construction in several years, and it looks like it will not be alone, as there are two other 20+ story office towers about to commence downtown.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #2460  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 12:10 AM
vegeta_skyline vegeta_skyline is offline
Registered User, Maybe
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Windsor
Posts: 1,257
Quite frankly I must say... that is one sweet-🞵🞵🞵 building.
It works well in context with the Marine Building too.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.