Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt
I was surprised that it didn't get any play on here either. I was more surprised that there isn't a giant uproar about this in Boulder and Superior.
|
I never thought the day would come when Golden...
Golden... is left to stand alone fighting this highway. But you're right, hardly a peep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus
I don't spend enough time in Denver these days to really know for Denver, but you couldn't stand on the corner closest to my house at rush hour and call biking a niche activity with a straight face. On a nice day there are as many bikes as cars.
|
I don't think we're there yet. When I see folks (age...I don't know, say 25+) riding in suits, or at least khakis or jeans, then I'll say we're there. It's still mostly a well-toned bike shorts crowd. B-cycle is helping there, though. That, I think, picks up the "this is the most convenient mode" crowd, and can cater to them best in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg
If the goal is to be multimodal shouldn't forms of transportation such as the bicycle that have been de-emphasized for a century receive greater emphasis until they have a greater commuter share/utilization?
Or am I missing the point where you do not think we should be a multimodal city? Or do you not think bicycles should be one of those modes? I do not think you do think those things but it seems like every time I browse this forum I see you take anti-cycling stances.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus
1. Bikes are still controversial. Not everyone is sold on them, or against them. For the most part we all staked out our positions on roads, transit, smart growth, and the like about 10 years ago, and we've spent the last decade flipping those topics over every way imaginable. Bikes are a new topic, with new things to be said about them. This is true both for here on the forum and in other, larger planning circles.
|
Welcome bob, if I didn't welcome you before.
I think bob's post reinforces exactly what I was saying. I don't disagree with Cirrus' explanation of why bicycles dominate the discussion at all. But bob wrote an entire post about multimodal cities without mentioning the word transit. Not once. Multimodal in bob's post means a very narrow spectrum from bicycles (good) to cars (bad). But bob's not to blame, because like I mentioned before, that's the discussion I hear everywhere - that is how today's public discussion is framed.
Which I think is peculiar for a couple of reasons. First off, no matter what rational people knew to be true, transit has always had a hard enough time winning the modal argument when it's framed as a war against cars. Why are cyclists even going there?
And secondly, Denver is still a high-density low-density city. A city of neighborhoods, a city of streetcar suburbs, etc. Bicycling is good for many trips, yes. But Denver's most central neighborhoods are still not a huge portion of the city's population. There is a huge gap between what bicycles can serve, and what we should need cars for. A huge gap between what Fastracks does and what bicycles can do.
The vast majority of Denver's population lives in neighborhoods that are probably still too far for most cyclists, but too close to be auto-dependent in a good multi-modal city. It is foolish of us to ignore that. Cherry Creek is an obvious example. I think that's too far for most casual cyclists. So should we relegate Cherry Creek to forever be an auto destination?
Cirrus: I just discovered the DC circulators.
http://www.dccirculator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=11 (exciting to me, but we can discuss that separately!)
I have no idea how successful they are. But why on god's green earth do we not have something like this in Denver? Or, why are we not talking about this. I'd trade 1,000 Bannock cycle tracks for this. Okay, maybe 100.
I am all for a multimodal city. I am not for a war on cars. And I do not think bicycles are so vital that they should push out everything else. Let's not forget, next week between Monday and about Thursday lunchtime, there will be as many bus boardings in the Colfax corridor as an entire year's worth of b-cycle riders. Maybe Colfax isn't the best example because we're actually working on that one... but there is a
ton of room for improvement in transit in Denver proper. And I think, with Denver's relatively low density built environment, there is at least as much potential for transit as for bicycles, if not more.
Why are cyclists (our pro-urbanism crusaders) not fighting that fight, too? Please tell me it's not because of Fastracks. And please tell me it's not because transit needs and bicycle needs conflict, although there is probably some truth to that. I feel that if half the energy currently being put into bicycles went into other modes, we might be discussing some sort of circulator plan today (or the holy grail, streetcars).
Bicycles or cars is a very narrow, uncreative way of looking at urban transport. I do wonder if that dichotomy is destined to be more engrained in Denver than in other U.S. cities. I think it jives well with the western pro-independence streak, at least conceptually...the one that's long been used to attack transit. We love our cars.. blah blah. Well, now we can love our bikes too. They're green, they require mountain man leg muscles (or at least benefit from them), they look good on a Subaru, and they can take us wherever we want to go. I'm half joking in this last paragraph, although I do think bicycling is appealing, conceptually, for those reasons as much as for their (undisputed by me) practical benefits as a urban transport mode that works well for some trips.