Based on the following document from the HRM website (originally posted by DmaJackson) -
http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/documents/110811drc73.pdf - the developer and owner, TDB Halifax Holdings Limited, is planning to increase the height to the maximum allowed by HRM_by_Design which is the ramparts maximum (post-bonus height).
I hope that this proposal will go ahead, I believe that TDB Halifax Holdings Limited is doing a fair job of saving what they can of the Macara Barnstead Building and are also planning to re-create the Kelly Building. In my opinion, this will be a great addition to Halifax and shouldn't be delayed.
Here is the HRM_by_Design height map -
This is what the TD Tower currently looks like from the direction of the harbour (the blank wall):
(source: Bing Maps screen-capture:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf7bdx9...sty=o&where1=Halifax%2C%20NS&form=LMLTCC )
This is Lydon Lynch Architects' sketch of what it will become (below). I can imagine this becoming a dominant part of the Halifax skyline. Not only will be have windows, it will also be a couple of floors taller (not as tall as 1801 Hollis, based on the building height, but it will appear to be as tall from the harbour because of the higher elevation).
(source:
http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/documents/110811drc73.pdf )