HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #721  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 2:16 PM
nickw252 nickw252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Mesa
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
outdoor pools in Phoenix are useless.
I didn't realize that until I bought a house with an outdoor pool. Sadly by that time it was too late. What a waste.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #722  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:53 PM
PHX31's Avatar
PHX31 PHX31 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: PHX
Posts: 7,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
^ A pool OUTSIDE? The horror...how is that stupid? Most pools I've been to are outside and a few YMCA's across town have a shade structure over the entire pool area. So that may happen.
I'm not worried about the merits between indoor vs outdoor pool. Like I said, I hope it's a rooftop pool (which would be outdoor).

My point is that they have a relatively tiny lot to work with... trying to fit an outdoor pool on the ground with lounge areas for the students to "layout" would be a gigantic waste of downtown land.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #723  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:56 PM
HX_Guy HX_Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I didn't realize that until I bought a house with an outdoor pool. Sadly by that time it was too late. What a waste.
Are you guys being sarcastic? What's wrong with a pool in AZ? We have one and it's awesome.

Last edited by HX_Guy; Aug 31, 2011 at 4:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #724  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 4:36 PM
Leo the Dog Leo the Dog is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Lower-48
Posts: 4,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Are yOu guys being sarcastic? What's wrong with a pool in AZ? We have one and it's awesome.
I hope they're being sarcastic.

Indoor pools are gross, just seems like a bacteria breeding ground and tend to stink up the joint. I never used my pool at LA Fitness simply because it was indoors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #725  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 5:57 PM
Classical in Phoenix's Avatar
Classical in Phoenix Classical in Phoenix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: A place with bigger haboobs than yours
Posts: 625
In my humble opinion, any pool, whether indoors or out, will be useless unless there are coeds wearing next to nothing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #726  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:04 PM
nickw252 nickw252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Mesa
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Are you guys being sarcastic? What's wrong with a pool in AZ? We have one and it's awesome.
I'm not being sarcastic. It's too hot and sunny for most of the summer to enjoy being outside and using my pool - just my opinion. Maybe if I had young kids that would be different but for now, my wife and I use the pool maybe once a month and that's only to jump in and cool down. The water is too hot to be refreshing, and it's too hot to be outside sipping on umbrella drinks. Maybe this fall we'll use the pool more.

Quote:
In my humble opinion, any pool, whether indoors or out, will be useless unless there are coeds wearing next to nothing.
Agreed - in which case, an outdoor pool for scantly clad undergrad coeds may not be a bad idea, especially if it was a rooftop pool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #727  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:05 PM
Vicelord John Vicelord John is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Eastlake, Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 5,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Are you guys being sarcastic? What's wrong with a pool in AZ? We have one and it's awesome.
thought it was obvious
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #728  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:13 PM
KEVINphx's Avatar
KEVINphx KEVINphx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner View Post
Unfortunately, flower bombing doesn't work here because we don't get any rain.
We're harvesting each season for the seeds and replanting, so each planting is a single bloom. Did that make sense? (note: I'm not the horticulturist.)
I figured as much (RE: the rain)

That makes perfect sense though, I am a bit of an amateur gardener but spend most of my energy between October and June - particularly this August which has been BRUTAL on what I have managed to keep alive thus far
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #729  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:15 PM
nickw252 nickw252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Mesa
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
I figured as much (RE: the rain)

That makes perfect sense though, I am a bit of an amateur gardener but spend most of my energy between October and June - particularly this August which has been BRUTAL on what I have managed to keep alive thus far
This August killed one of my relatively immature orange trees in spite of being adequately watered.

I can't wait till it cools down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #730  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:17 PM
KEVINphx's Avatar
KEVINphx KEVINphx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I hope they're being sarcastic.

Indoor pools are gross, just seems like a bacteria breeding ground and tend to stink up the joint. I never used my pool at LA Fitness simply because it was indoors.
The only downside to outdoor pools (in my opinion) is the cost and maintenance due to evaporation, dust storms and increased electricity consumption to keep it all clean.

We pay $109.00 a month for a pool maintenance company to take care of most of it (for a very large pool)

That doesn't include the salt, chemicals, additional electricity and water ETC but it sure is NICE to have during these misery-months!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #731  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:20 PM
nickw252 nickw252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Mesa
Posts: 1,647
My water bill has been over $300 for the last two months due to pool evaporation. That's a lot of money being pissed away on something I don't use.

I want to fill in the pool but my wife says no. I do what I'm told. I think she likes the "idea" of having a pool, especially for when her family from Ohio comes out here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #732  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:49 PM
HX_Guy HX_Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,103
Damn...how big are your guys' pools? Our water bill is in the $175 range in the summer with a pool, ~1500 sq ft of grass plus a bunch of trees/shrubs that get water every week.

$109 also seems pretty high for pool maintenance to not include the chemicals. We pay $79/month all inclusive. Have you tried shopping around? I know a guy that does it for $75 any pool size, including chemicals.

Lastly...sometimes it does feel too hot to be out by the pool...but guess it depends on the atmosphere. We will usually have friends over, turn up the music, have some drinks and it sort of feels like one of those Vegas pools. Or we use it at night...like last night, we were in the pool from like 8pm till about midnight.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #733  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 9:30 PM
KEVINphx's Avatar
KEVINphx KEVINphx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Damn...how big are your guys' pools? Our water bill is in the $175 range in the summer with a pool, ~1500 sq ft of grass plus a bunch of trees/shrubs that get water every week.

$109 also seems pretty high for pool maintenance to not include the chemicals. We pay $79/month all inclusive. Have you tried shopping around? I know a guy that does it for $75 any pool size, including chemicals.

Lastly...sometimes it does feel too hot to be out by the pool...but guess it depends on the atmosphere. We will usually have friends over, turn up the music, have some drinks and it sort of feels like one of those Vegas pools. Or we use it at night...like last night, we were in the pool from like 8pm till about midnight.
Our water bill isn't as high as Nickw stated; ours runs around $140 to $180 during summer and the electric is not that bad either but it's a very efficient house so I'm not sure how much to attribute to the pool (and lawn and trees etc)

The $109.00 does include chemicals, I suppose I was more referring to supplies we have on-hand in the event it's needed or from before we hired a pool service.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #734  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
dtnphx dtnphx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,057
I had no idea how expensive it is to have a pool. I have a 1,500 sf home, use the dishwasher, washing machine, water heater, baths, showers and water the plants on my 8,500 SF lot (desert, but lots of trees and bushes) and my City of Phoenix water bill is no more that $50-52 a month (and that's with sewer and trash). I guess the lure of a pool in my future has, er...evaporated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #735  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 4:03 AM
KEVINphx's Avatar
KEVINphx KEVINphx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
I had no idea how expensive it is to have a pool. I have a 1,500 sf home, use the dishwasher, washing machine, water heater, baths, showers and water the plants on my 8,500 SF lot (desert, but lots of trees and bushes) and my City of Phoenix water bill is no more that $50-52 a month (and that's with sewer and trash). I guess the lure of a pool in my future has, er...evaporated.
If you maintain it yourself and have an average size pool, I'm sure it's not that much, but it still makes a difference.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #736  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 2:03 AM
PhxDowntowner's Avatar
PhxDowntowner PhxDowntowner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: #dtphx
Posts: 175
This morning was our first volunteer day at the Valley of the Sunflowers field. Friday will the formal groundbreaking w/ Mayor Gordon & Councilman Johnson.

It'll be time to plant soon

If y'all want to follow its progress, you can use facebook: http://www.facebook.com/phxVOS
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #737  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 11:38 PM
HooverDam's Avatar
HooverDam HooverDam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner View Post
This morning was our first volunteer day at the Valley of the Sunflowers field. Friday will the formal groundbreaking w/ Mayor Gordon & Councilman Johnson.

It'll be time to plant soon

If y'all want to follow its progress, you can use facebook: http://www.facebook.com/phxVOS
I noticed the FB page mentions needing volunteers every Sat in September. Ill be back in late Sept, Sept 27- Oct 3rd, but that Saturday is Oct 1st. Id be up for volunteering on that Saturday---think they'll still need anyone?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #738  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 12:20 AM
PhxDowntowner's Avatar
PhxDowntowner PhxDowntowner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: #dtphx
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I noticed the FB page mentions needing volunteers every Sat in September. Ill be back in late Sept, Sept 27- Oct 3rd, but that Saturday is Oct 1st. Id be up for volunteering on that Saturday---think they'll still need anyone?
After September, we're (currently) planning to scale back the field days to every other weekend, so yup, there'll be more
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #739  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 1:10 AM
gymratmanaz gymratmanaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,933
what time next Sat? I will come!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #740  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 1:40 AM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is offline
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CA/AZ Nomad
Posts: 7,454
I have a question: Did Mayor Gordon or Councilman Johnson help at all in this endeavor?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.