HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #301  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 6:28 PM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,228
Although obviously there are things the NDP could have done better (which government couldn't, after all), I really don't see what the big push to get them out is all about. In my opinion (and many others share this), the province has had it's best decade since maybe the 60s, on many fronts. Population growth, unemployment, crime rates, etc.

Contrast this with the last decade, where the PCs were in control - the 90s were probably the worst decade for our Province in a half century. "Oh, but it was because of a recession", PC supporters will say. "The government couldn't do anything to curb those outside forces". Well, 2008 was the worst recession since the depression, and Manitoba has fared better than most North American jurisdictions, despite our "socialist" government.

Now to McFadyen - this is the leader to lead the Province into prosperity, eh? In 2007, two of his five platform planks were "bring NHL back" and "make a law to make privatization of Hydro impossible". To me, that's not vision or strong conservative principles. Look at the PC website now Winnipegger@Heart - where do you see anything about them cutting taxes and cutting spending? Oh, that's right - nowhere, because less than 2 months before the election, they still haven't unveiled any substantive policy alternatives or platforms (while the NDP has had theirs clearly laid out for a while).

I did rather like the PC's old policy page (circa mid-2010). It had things I could get behind, like "Increased investment in infrastructure, increased investment in education & training, increasing resources for seniors" - while very impressive, it didn't sound to me like a very fiscally conservative policy platform at all. Increase investment in myriad areas while also cutting taxes? Hmmm, that's an interesting one indeed...Increase spending and cut taxes, one of the PCs usual platforms...Where are these spending cuts going to come from guys? Infrastructure? Healthcare? Education?...No? Then where, cause that's the lions share of the provincial budget right there...

Instead of real vision, leadership, or policy, all my PC mailings deal with petty issues that aren't really important in the grand scheme of things at all: "Force the NDP to take video games out of our jails now" - your local PC candidate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #302  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 7:40 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Well said BDog. I agree with you, I think NDP's been doing swell, and the PC's are focusing their attention on some obscure things....


I personally have no party affiliation whatsoever, and view parties as separate entities each election.


Regardless of posters who are pro PC or pro NDP, it cannot be debated that both parties have different philosophies that play to different strengths.

I think the most important thing though, is who has the better team? Who has the capability to do the work, get things done and move forward?

There is no linear path. Clearly PC's have a road map that might work, and NDP has their road map (arguably, currently better drawn out) that also might work in getting "things" (arbitrarily stated) done.

But to me, its all about "who is the best leader behind the scenes, not just the best politician in front of the microphone" ... who will actually get the things they are promising done?

MB has been good under NDP. MB could also be good under PC. Im not concerned about the party as much as I am concerned about who's work makes the bigger impact on MB and Winnipeg moving forward.

I still have to do more research about both platforms myself before I make a decision, but I do agree with what BDog said.

Sometimes a change of colors are nice, but sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side too. What is Hugh's work ethic like? Is he a capable leader? Does he have the experience needed to move MB forward?

I don't think we should judge the PC's or NDP based on how they were in the past - while the flag might be the same, the people within it are different, as are the times. This is important, because things DO change. Sometimes that makes all the difference - just look at how different parties have had different effects on Canada in the past. Sometimes the Liberals have done very good things for the country, other times the liberals dumped on it. Its got more to do with the people behind it, imo.

I think the debating of parties is nice and all as it adds to discussion which adds to a lot of cerebral activity, but at the same time it is best we all not simply march behind any party for the sake of whatever-the-reason-traditions...you have to look at each objectively.

Its gonna be interesting for MB, thats for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #303  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 8:45 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Interesting stats from Winnipegger@Heart's WFP link here

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/winnipegs-office-market-limping-along-126822953.html

Quote:
Vancouver -- 238,600 square feet
Calgary -- 2,670,903
Edmonton -- 916,000
Lethbridge -- 10,760
Regina -- 768,000
Winnipeg -- 40,000
Mississauga -- 734,577
Toronto -- 1,532,533
Ottawa -- 947,252
Montreal -- 435,000
Quebec City -- 469,614
Halifax -- 60,000
doesn't include the 150 000 sq ft of office space that will be built though, but still shows some interesting developmental notions for those of us interested.


That said, I wonder what this has to do with the party in power - Would the PC's in power change these statistics much?

I wonder where the line is, between what is just the makeup of the city vs the party in power.

Calgary gets office space cause they need it, would Calgary all of sudden not have new towers going up if the NDP was in power there?

Just rambling off my head here, no concrete opinions on it myself.

Interesting to note though. Look at Regina!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #304  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 2:17 AM
Winnipegger@Heart Winnipegger@Heart is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 619
The NDP is not business-friendly, it is a social party that believes in spending, and not fostering a business climate that attracts investment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #305  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 2:49 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
The NDP is not business-friendly, it is a social party that believes in spending, and not fostering a business climate that attracts investment.
Based on what, exactly? Certainly not Manitoba's economic growth over the last few years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #306  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 3:50 AM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 7,598
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

PC promises include $375M fund for municipal infrastructure
By: Staff Writer

Posted: 08/31/2011 2:07 PM | Comments: 75 (including replies)
Print E–mail 0 3Share3
Report Error A Progressive Conservative government would create a five-year, $375 million Manitoba Strategic Investment Fund to help municipalities, including the City of Winnipeg, address their infrastructure needs.

The money would come on top of the existing provincial highway renewal plan that runs until 2015.

PC Leader Hugh McFadyen rolled out his party’s 29-page economic blueprint at a news conference this afternoon at Listowel Playground in west Winnipeg. The document includes several measures previously reported by the Free Press, including a promise to cut personal income tax and a plan to balance the provincial books by 2018.

Municipalities have been hoping that the province would dedicate a percentage point of the PST for their infrastructure needs, but the Tories say that is too expensive.

The Conservatives promised a commitment to finding new funding models for municipal infrastructure. Municipalities would access the $375 million fund by applying for money for specific projects.

In other portions of the party’s economic platform, McFadyen promised to reduce government red tape for business by 20 per cent, speed up the development of CentrePort, improve employee training, remove the cap on business stream applications for the Provincial Nominee Program and improve immigration settlement services by funding local settlement offices.

The Tories also pledged to limit tuition fee increases to the rate of inflation, as the NDP has been doing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #307  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 4:47 AM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,228
This election is going to be interesting - I'm excited. A few things I've noticed so far:

1. Platform documents look as though they've been thrown together in minutes - tables without titles, graphs without #s/$s on the axis, very few graphics, etc. It looks sloppy. Both parties knew this election was coming, what's the excuse?

2. Are the PCs trying to out-NDP the NDP? All I've heard in the lead-up to this campaign (from the PCs - and WPG Sun) is how all the government does is spend, spend, spend (while running up deficits and debt). I've read the PC economic platform - it may contain even more spending than the NDPs!
250 new doctors; 1700 nurses; almost $400 M infrastructure fund; $45 M for Winnipeg back lanes (🞵🞵🞵?); tax credits for home renos/fitness/agriculture/etc; etc... However, they also plan to cut income taxes, remove the PST from certain things, and tax relief for cottage owners...

There are many economic policy items of the PCs that I do agree with - however, how can they increase spending this much (while cutting tax revenues) and expect to be taken seriously as the "fiscally sound" alternative?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #308  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:24 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 7,598
Being a conservative myself I am a little dismayed at what the PC's are trying to do. It seems they are going the red tory route of trying to out NDP the NDP.I like the $375 million infrastructure money Winnipeg's share would mean about $225 million extra a year. This wouldn't really help for big projects like bridge replacements but it should really help mid size projects like maybe a underpass on Taylor and Wilkes for $40 million and street resurfacing projects across the city. However the PC's won't eliminate the deficit till 2018 while the NDP of all people promise by 2014. There is so much waste at WRHA and Hydro I am sure the tories can find alot of fat to cut there.I think the PC's are trying to make people not affraid of them this is why they are putting out such left leaning policies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #309  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 3:04 PM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,286
The tories have already lost the election with this platform, as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #310  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joshy Joshy is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 526
What worries me about this election is that there will be many soft-hearted Manitobans voting for the NDP simply out of feeling sorry for the tragic passing of Jack Layton. Manitobans shouldn't vote with their hearts (and unfortunately I think they will), but should be voting with their heads.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #311  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:28 AM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
What worries me about this election is that there will be many soft-hearted Manitobans voting for the NDP simply out of feeling sorry for the tragic passing of Jack Layton. Manitobans shouldn't vote with their hearts (and unfortunately I think they will), but should be voting with their heads.
who died last election when the NDP received a majority?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #312  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:37 AM
Joshy Joshy is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
who died last election when the NDP received a majority?
Not sure. Care to share?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #313  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:41 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
In Ontario, we have the NDP opposing a tax and the PCs supporting a socialistic energy-price control policy. The Liberals are a pretty crappy government but the opposition isn't getting its act together enough. Dalton McGuinty has a 14% approval rating and is probably going to be re-elected.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #314  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 2:56 AM
hexrae's Avatar
hexrae hexrae is offline
Armchair urbanist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Not sure. Care to share?
It was a rhetorical question. Someone dies -> Compassion voting -> NDP wins, so by that logic who died last election since the NDP won? Nobody, so your concern is ill-founded.

I'm curious if someone knows of any impartial sources of information for this election? I seem to recall something similar (perhaps it was for the civic election) mentioned in that internet pundits show. I just don't care to wade through all the slant that I've seen thus far.
__________________
[Insert profound statement here]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #315  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:00 AM
Joshy Joshy is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
It was a rhetorical question. Someone dies -> Compassion voting -> NDP wins, so by that logic who died last election since the NDP won? Nobody, so your concern is ill-founded.
So it's ill-founded because it didn't happen in a previous election? I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but to dismiss someone's opinion based on a lack of past history pattern of behavior to prove it may or may not happen is also ill-founded.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #316  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:38 AM
hexrae's Avatar
hexrae hexrae is offline
Armchair urbanist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
So it's ill-founded because it didn't happen in a previous election? I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but to dismiss someone's opinion based on a lack of past history pattern of behavior to prove it may or may not happen is also ill-founded.
Cool story bro. I may have put some words into headhorse's mouth, but I was simply summarizing his point.
__________________
[Insert profound statement here]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #317  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:50 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
i hope mcfyden gets tossed soon cause hes blah!

yea the ndp been in long time but... when your opisition can't get its act together to be a proper opisition what makes you think they could forum government......... thats how i feel
and damn right i am getting out to vote
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #318  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 6:01 AM
Boreal's Avatar
Boreal Boreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,704
Lost at the wheel Dippers?

Can't seem to even locate the wheel Tories?

Brought Justin Trudeau to the wheel Grits?

My goodness, I loathe all three. Where is the Prairie Crocus Alliance?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #319  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:00 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The tories have already lost the election with this platform, as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed. It reeks of desperation. It shows a lack of commitment to traditional PC party values. It shows that Huge is willing to say anything to grasp power.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #320  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 8:56 PM
Boreal's Avatar
Boreal Boreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,704
For the first time ever, I don't think I will vote. Even a spoiled ballot means I participated in the election, and any elected leader can sing about election participation statistics. I don't wish to offer them that favour.

I dislike all candidates and parties equally. There just isn't any one potential MP that I dislike enough to make me vote for another party (see Davies, Libby in Federal politics).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.