HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #841  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:51 PM
-Harlington-'s Avatar
-Harlington- -Harlington- is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Halifax-Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouthian View Post
The beach already exists. pretty rocky if I remember.
Yeah, there is a fairly rocky little beach between the site and the ferry terminal park .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #842  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 11:42 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Yeah, there is a fairly rocky little beach between the site and the ferry terminal park .
What a great place to dump the sand from the volleyball courts.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #843  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 11:51 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
What a great place to dump the sand from the volleyball courts.
Apparently it is destined for lovely Burnside.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #844  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 3:01 AM
-Harlington-'s Avatar
-Harlington- -Harlington- is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Halifax-Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,097
Thats what im sayin, when i saw on the news that they were putting the sand to good use i thought this would be perfect

but apparently Burnside is a better idea

Its a lot of sand i think that Burnside and the beaches can share it somehow .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #845  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 3:24 AM
Phalanx Phalanx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 590
Ehhhh, considering how much construction is going on at the site over the next few years, I don't think there's any point in putting the sand there any time soon. Noise, construction traffic, debris, all the additional infilling that has to go on for later phases... no point yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #846  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 8:09 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Haha. On page 3 it says that staff won't let the King's Street extension be called King's Street because it would mean existing King's Street would have to be renamed. Sigh. Maybe King's Street South? Give it a nice Toronto / NYC flavour?
It's already named King's Wharf Place. They had the sign up for a while till they started ripping up Alderney.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #847  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 4:59 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
This project and the surrounding area today;

























Reply With Quote
     
     
  #848  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 5:40 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,991
Those vinyl-sided townhouses look even sadder now that King's Wharf is going up. Too bad it took so long to get some higher-quality development started in that area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #849  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 12:51 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Those vinyl-sided townhouses look even sadder now that King's Wharf is going up. Too bad it took so long to get some higher-quality development started in that area.
Those vinly clad townhoses are a complete misuse of that prime site. The development is not consistant with a downtown that has the potential to grow. I remember when they were built there were endless accolades of what a great development it was. Perhaps they will be torn down when they start to fall apart.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #850  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 8:34 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
I think the issue of the naming of the 'King street extension' is mute. It doesn't matter if it's still King Street or King's Wharf whatever. If you are standing at the intersection, it will be obvious to any laymen the different - King's Wharf (all high density) to the right and King Street and old downtown to the left.

The townhouses aren't that old - roughly early 2000's they went up. This is an example of an as of right development that really didn't work well to achieve what the Dartmouth Plan was trying to encourage. I don't remember it word for word, but the plan wanted more people in Dartmouth. The townhouses did that, but badly. It could've easily been something more. But if the property owner wasn't someone who had the money to build a high density form - he/she built what they could. Such is the problem wish as of right sometimes...it can lead to forms of development that don't make sense over time. The only hope is that in 15 years, someone buy's them all up and doesn't something new...

I know a few planners that worked for Halifax prior to amalgamation in 1995. Many of them are happy with King's Wharf because they share the same idea I have: Dartmouth is an untapped resource waiting to explode with development opportunity. King's Wharf was a great first step, the viewplane review is a great second step. I would say a review of the downtown Dartmouth plan would be the next one. If memory serves, it really encourages a 'small town' type of downtown...that for me just doesn't work since it's part of the regional centre.

That being said, I'm probably one of few planners that think about the centre of HRM as being both Peninsula Halifax AND Downtown Dartmouth...the way the RP says. So for me, I'd be happy to see office development spring up on either side, although with the demand being almost none, I'd say Dartmouth should become the condo heaven of HRM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #851  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 9:04 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,991
Small town planning was great back when there were no malls or power centres or online shopping and you HAD to go through downtown Dartmouth to get to the ferry. If people want to recreate that environment then Dartmouth needs tons of medium- and high-density housing so that the small percentage of business that still goes to small town type shops can be obtained from the local population. A mix of crappy townhouses and parking lots doesn't come remotely close to that level, which is why Portland Street was always so sad.

King's Wharf actually *is* high enough density to get somewhere, so it's quite exciting. Once it's built out the whole neighbourhood will be much more attractive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #852  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 12:06 AM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think the issue of the naming of the 'King street extension' is mute. It doesn't matter if it's still King Street or King's Wharf whatever. If you are standing at the intersection, it will be obvious to any laymen the different - King's Wharf (all high density) to the right and King Street and old downtown to the left.

The townhouses aren't that old - roughly early 2000's they went up. This is an example of an as of right development that really didn't work well to achieve what the Dartmouth Plan was trying to encourage. I don't remember it word for word, but the plan wanted more people in Dartmouth. The townhouses did that, but badly. It could've easily been something more. But if the property owner wasn't someone who had the money to build a high density form - he/she built what they could. Such is the problem wish as of right sometimes...it can lead to forms of development that don't make sense over time. The only hope is that in 15 years, someone buy's them all up and doesn't something new...

I know a few planners that worked for Halifax prior to amalgamation in 1995. Many of them are happy with King's Wharf because they share the same idea I have: Dartmouth is an untapped resource waiting to explode with development opportunity. King's Wharf was a great first step, the viewplane review is a great second step. I would say a review of the downtown Dartmouth plan would be the next one. If memory serves, it really encourages a 'small town' type of downtown...that for me just doesn't work since it's part of the regional centre.

That being said, I'm probably one of few planners that think about the centre of HRM as being both Peninsula Halifax AND Downtown Dartmouth...the way the RP says. So for me, I'd be happy to see office development spring up on either side, although with the demand being almost none, I'd say Dartmouth should become the condo heaven of HRM.
I think one of the most underestimated areas for development in HRM is WYSE Rd. north. This is in the same bucket as Kempt Rd.

Massive potential for highrise development.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=...v5k1wkQzAxWkT4b3NGxfQ&cbp=12,309.37,,0,0
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #853  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 12:18 AM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
[QUOTE=Empire;5394786]I think one of the most underestimated areas for development in HRM is WYSE Rd. north. This is in the same bucket as Kempt Rd.

QUOTE]

Except Kempt Rd. has at least a bit of a district/corridor thing going with the dealerships. Wyse Rd. north is just a depressing non-place. I'd love to see something happen to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #854  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:28 PM
Waye Mason's Avatar
Waye Mason Waye Mason is offline
opinionated so and so
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 721
Pics yesterday. I pass by on my new bike route to work, so updates will be pretty regularly.

From the foot bridge looking toward the cove at high tide... I like the look of it, up against the entrance to the canal.



The towers...

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #855  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 5:34 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
[QUOTE=FuzzyWuz;5394798]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I think one of the most underestimated areas for development in HRM is WYSE Rd. north. This is in the same bucket as Kempt Rd.

QUOTE]

Except Kempt Rd. has at least a bit of a district/corridor thing going with the dealerships. Wyse Rd. north is just a depressing non-place. I'd love to see something happen to it.
Wyse Road has a great potential being so close to the bus terminal. I'd apply TOD principles and go super mixed use. Roughly 20 stories or more and make sure there was a pedestrian bridge across Wyse road for easy access to the bus terminal. Reduce the parking requirements by half (since you are close to the bus terminal) and crank up the height.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #856  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 12:43 AM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
I was on site today and took these photos:












Reply With Quote
     
     
  #857  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 1:20 AM
haligonia's Avatar
haligonia haligonia is offline
Urban Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 630
Fantastic update!

I'm really starting to get excited for this project. I hope the developer is able to pull it off, because if he does, King's Wharf will be incredible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #858  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 11:15 AM
Haliwood Haliwood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Is the taller on that's being built going to be the Iconic Tower? This is going to be the tallest building in HRM for now - correct?
__________________
Pizing - Freedom of Speech in Halifax never looked so good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #859  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 5:15 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,991
If I remember correctly the big tower is to be built during a third phase, after two more smaller buildings.

The reported height is 109 m, which would indeed be a new tallest: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=51956864

Not as tall as the Skye proposal and I am not sure if Fenwick will be taller as a result of the redevelopment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #860  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 6:08 PM
Haliwood Haliwood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Not as tall as the Skye proposal and I am not sure if Fenwick will be taller as a result of the redevelopment.
I'm going to assume that Skye won't be built at all - although I hope I'm terribly wrong. Keeping my expectations low with that one.
__________________
Pizing - Freedom of Speech in Halifax never looked so good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.