HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


View Poll Results: Would you vote for a ETS Rapid Transit masterplan scheme?
Yes, I'd vote for more BRT/LRT 301 82.92%
No, what we have is fine. 34 9.37%
I dunno, maybe, yes, no, whatever. 28 7.71%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5061  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 10:24 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
I wish my primary office was downtown again...

25 minute drive to Windermere (from Oliver)
45-60 minute bus
1.5 hour bike ride
walk? good luck.
     
     
  #5062  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 10:27 PM
oiler-dude's Avatar
oiler-dude oiler-dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 737
20 minute drive
60 minute bus
No idea on bike + walk, because I won't try.

Only downside to my wonderful job is it isn't downtown! Would make my day!
     
     
  #5063  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 10:39 PM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,027
Lynnwood to NAIT

50 minutes by bus
60 minutes by bike
I figure about 150 minutes walking.
     
     
  #5064  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 11:27 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Hummmm.....traveling to clients though out Edm metro = forever. I use Henday whenever possible. Im going to have a party when the west Henday over passes are complete...we will drink, smash dishes, and dance.
     
     
  #5065  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 11:54 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ I hear you... with my previous company drove about 80k a year, commuting to job sites throughout Edmonton, Red Deer and many points north. There was no other option to driving.

Working so close to home and having many options to get to work is such a relief, I don't know if I could go back to car commuting.... I could make $100k a year again if I went back into my field in the construction industry but at this point it's just not worth it, I am enjoying this lifestyle way too much
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #5066  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:08 AM
tiddo1 tiddo1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 55
15 minute drive from downtown to the southside. Much different driving back though.
Next year will have to commute to windermere from downtown. Won't be enjoying that too much.
     
     
  #5067  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:20 AM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
15 minute walk...or a 25 minute walk if it's -30 and I'm cutting thru pedways
     
     
  #5068  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:24 AM
Oborro's Avatar
Oborro Oborro is offline
Kris Holm in Training
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 319
Cromdale to Mayfair:

15 minutes by Car
35 minutes by Unicycle
49 minutes by Bus
70 minutes by Walking
__________________
"'My people' have our contribution to society - we make things look better via accessorizing, designing, etc. 'Your people' keep making more people, make things function (like car engines) - and I like that arrangement - it keeps me from breaking a nail and keeps you guys from having to understand why women like to shop!"
Mayday- ca 2003
     
     
  #5069  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 10:14 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddo1 View Post
15 minute drive from downtown to the southside. Much different driving back though.
Next year will have to commute to windermere from downtown. Won't be enjoying that too much.
It's actually not that bad - This is my current location of work - windermere, and I live in Oliver. If you work normal hours, you go against rush hour, you get to see everyone caught up in traffic while you make your way, sans traffic and delays to work.
     
     
  #5070  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 1:48 AM
tiddo1 tiddo1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
It's actually not that bad - This is my current location of work - windermere, and I live in Oliver. If you work normal hours, you go against rush hour, you get to see everyone caught up in traffic while you make your way, sans traffic and delays to work.
Technically, I live in Oliver as well. I work shift work so I'll be all over the place. I assume you'd take Groat/Fox/Mud/Terwillegar?
I suppose once the Whitemud is finished the trek shouldn't be all too bad. Hopefully can shorten up that 25 minute commute.
     
     
  #5071  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 4:07 AM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
25 min bus/LRT
30 min car
*All times are based on rush hour
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #5072  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 6:16 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddo1 View Post
Technically, I live in Oliver as well. I work shift work so I'll be all over the place. I assume you'd take Groat/Fox/Mud/Terwillegar?
I suppose once the Whitemud is finished the trek shouldn't be all too bad. Hopefully can shorten up that 25 minute commute.
Usually... but if whitemud is screwed up, I alter to 119st versus Fox.
     
     
  #5073  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 7:29 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
Anyone else enjoying the benefits of the new articulated buses on the #8? Even along 118 Avenue east of Rexall Place, the bus was almost full @ 11:00 AM...
     
     
  #5074  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:34 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #5075  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:47 PM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
To Heritage. . . Estates? Ugh, forgetting the name.
     
     
  #5076  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 11:04 PM
noodlenoodle noodlenoodle is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,148
Is there anything more "Edmonton" than extending the LRT over the Henday, through green fields, all the way to....a giant surface lot.

Awesome.
     
     
  #5077  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 1:14 AM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,633
Not even trying to get it close to residential or commercial. 🞵🞵🞵 backwards. I can't believe no allowance was made for LRT or a transit supportive road through those actual communities.

At least put a community scale station in Twin Brooks. It is like they want communities to hate having LRT near them.
     
     
  #5078  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 1:50 AM
Hardhatdan Hardhatdan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
Is there anything more "Edmonton" than extending the LRT over the Henday, through green fields, all the way to....a giant surface lot.

Awesome.
Yea, I think whining, bitching, moaning and complaining about the capital spending loud enough to defer it into nothing being done. You just got to be a little louder
     
     
  #5079  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 2:18 AM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
To Heritage. . . Estates? Ugh, forgetting the name.
MacEwan...that's the name. I think they should add a station at Twin Brooks. There is also nothing wrong with extending the LRT further south, but AFTER the se and wLRT.
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #5080  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:35 AM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
MacEwan...that's the name. I think they should add a station at Twin Brooks. There is also nothing wrong with extending the LRT further south, but AFTER the se and wLRT.
Ah, Tindersticks.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:32 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.