HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3401  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 5:15 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I'll just warn you that I'm one of the few (if not the sole one) here who isn't part of "the choir," as I remain skeptical of the ongoing TRAX expansion and frenzy, and frankly, am still of the opinion that it's not good enough to justify the costs. I ride TRAX and UTA buses only because I have to pay for it in my tuition, but I'll admit, I think the trains are neat and we have a very nice set of vehicles, stations, etc.. I've ridden many transit systems around the world and none I've seen are as clean and well cared for as UTA. It's difficult for me to talk ill of it, but it has some major faults.

Earlier today I decided to take the 223 bus from the U campus to my parent's house in Holladay. It's a fairly straight shot and goes very close to where I need it to, so I like the route. The best part is that it takes almost exactly 30 minutes, while driving is only ten minutes shorter, and TRAX + the 45 bus would take up to twice as long. Furthermore, the 45 stops much further from the house so it's much less convenient. There's a major problem with the 223 bus, though, which is that it only runs every two hours. I don't blame UTA for this; hardly anyone rides the 223. On the latter half of the route it usually runs empty (as does the 45 for that matter). I have to arrange my whole afternoon around its schedule if I intend to take it. Even if the commute time with TRAX is nearly twice as long, it usually makes more sense to take one of the frequent trains in this case, because they'll get me there sooner. I can't help but wonder what could've been had TRAX not been built, and all the bus lines arranged to make TRAX the primary artery out of the suburbs. It's supposed to enable the suburbs, but for me it doesn't.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. I've heard many of the arguments again and again, and I'm simply not convinced that TRAX has made things better for the suburbs. Now I realize that I may be an exception to overall trends, and TRAX might be the best thing that happened to some people, but I can't help that. TRAX has made the transit system less convenient for me. I'm just trying to voice an opinion that never gets light around here.
Your opinion is completely valid. Trax isn't perfect at all. The way the UTA has run its entire system has been, at times, short-sighted. As you've mentioned, bus service has been mercilessly reduced. I'd say most of it's justified, but the horror stories I've heard of fast buses in the suburbs operating in the standard-sized buses (as opposed to the coach buses) indicate that, yeah, the service reductions need to be re-evaluated.

Some of the proposals that the UTA has presented for Trax expansion are not viable. Current expansion to Daybreak, the airport, etc is warranted, in my opinion. I'm a little less optimistic for the Provo extension of FrontRunner, but time will tell. However, what's the deal with the proposal to extend Trax to southern Davis County? FrontRunner serves whatever purpose a light rail line north would ever accomplish: a Bountiful-Salt Lake connection. I doubt there are very many in Bountiful who are itching to a see a light rail stop on, say, 1500 North Beck Street.

With that said, public transportation beyond buses in a city of 1.1 million is necessary. I do see value in light rail. Have we gone about it the right way since 1999? Mostly; but, as you say, there have been faults.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3402  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 5:17 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
First of all Country Lemonade, you can't read the comments sections of the Trib or even Deseret News without feelings somewhat depressed about the state of mankind.
One of the best things I've been told in a long while.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3403  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 5:26 AM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
^
I can understan the Frontrunner South line, I know many people who are anxiously awaiting it, and could benefit from it allot. The line I would question is the Draper line, and the West Valley line a little bit, however I think the WVC line will make more since once it's extended towrd Magna. The South Davis line seems like a duplication of effort, but I don't think it is. I think, if done right, a south Davis TRAX line could make FrontRunner a much more viable option for many people.
This, post may seem contradictory to my last, and maybe it is, I'm just sharing observations I've made.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3404  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:11 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I'll just warn you that I'm one of the few (if not the sole one) here who isn't part of "the choir," as I remain skeptical of the ongoing TRAX expansion and frenzy, and frankly, am still of the opinion that it's not good enough to justify the costs. I ride TRAX and UTA buses only because I have to pay for it in my tuition, but I'll admit, I think the trains are neat and we have a very nice set of vehicles, stations, etc.. I've ridden many transit systems around the world and none I've seen are as clean and well cared for as UTA. It's difficult for me to talk ill of it, but it has some major faults.

Earlier today I decided to take the 223 bus from the U campus to my parent's house in Holladay. It's a fairly straight shot and goes very close to where I need it to, so I like the route. The best part is that it takes almost exactly 30 minutes, while driving is only ten minutes shorter, and TRAX + the 45 bus would take up to twice as long. Furthermore, the 45 stops much further from the house so it's much less convenient. There's a major problem with the 223 bus, though, which is that it only runs every two hours. I don't blame UTA for this; hardly anyone rides the 223. On the latter half of the route it usually runs empty (as does the 45 for that matter). I have to arrange my whole afternoon around its schedule if I intend to take it. Even if the commute time with TRAX is nearly twice as long, it usually makes more sense to take one of the frequent trains in this case, because they'll get me there sooner. I can't help but wonder what could've been had TRAX not been built, and all the bus lines arranged to make TRAX the primary artery out of the suburbs. It's supposed to enable the suburbs, but for me it doesn't.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. I've heard many of the arguments again and again, and I'm simply not convinced that TRAX has made things better for the suburbs. Now I realize that I may be an exception to overall trends, and TRAX might be the best thing that happened to some people, but I can't help that. TRAX has made the transit system less convenient for me. I'm just trying to voice an opinion that never gets light around here.

Get him ( )! I'm just kidding. I think the expansion of the system of TRAX is a good thing for the west side of the Salt Lake Valley. People should be motivated to ride transit for more efficiency reasons vs. being a saint. And what I mean is that riding TRAX (if you live by TRAX) rewards you by basically emancipating you from traffic. Many people who ride the bus LONG DISTANCES do so because they are poor and or they don't have obligations like jobs or family to get to quickly, or they are just extremely committed idealists for the environment or anti vehicle beliefs (the idealists are the saints of transit if you will).

I think it's a reasonable expectation for the Wasatch Front to be able to make major inroads with passenger rail or BRT into major swatches of the Salt Lake Valley (especially if it is cheap like the West Jordan extension). That does not mean that I think we should make it so that every person who sprawls away from the core has a train within a mile of their home or even BRT for that matter (we can't subsidize infinite distance).

The key thing to remember with Light Rail, BRT or on a lesser scale with a streetcar, is that you are doing it right if you develop density around the lines. I think the idea is that Utah isn't Portland and doesn't have the political will to curb aggressive sprawl, but when the freeways clog up (which they will; the Mountain View Corridor will clog up when it is a road and a freeway), at least you have the ability for an urban counter culture to thrive and be a very viable alternative. If density develops along all these lines without a doubt, it is going to be easier to get anywhere in the valley via a train (unless you have an SUV full of 6 kids to haul around). If we have apartments, condos, city style row houses, retail and services crop up near these lines, then the thing becomes a sustainable subculture in and of itself. It doesn't necessarily amend sprawl or pulling energy out of the core, but it does make such a system sustainable in regards to energy and finances. However, that can only be done to such an extent until it would just take way too long for the system to ever become dense enough along the way to keep expanding at this aggressive of a rate.

Again, I don't think people in the burbs are entitled to all live near trains (and sorry this includes a lot of the east bench which is basically just richer more established sprawl). If people are fortunate enough to already live in the suburbs where it is most beneficial for the overall system to add an extra light rail extension, good for them. If they aren't so lucky, then those who want that convenience should move closer to an existing line.

So basically John I agree with your sentiment of skepticism about always giving the burbs rail or even BRT. I think the Salt Lake City area and the Denver area are both going to have to answer the question of how much is too much in regards to expanding rail and BRT transit out to the burbs since we are both basically doing projects that are proportionally the same when you look at system creation to population size and its distance from the core.

I think Frontlines 2015 and FasTracks in the Denver area are both great projects and I support them because the Mountain West has always been shafted when it comes to transit spending and I'm glad we got to have our chance to build our systems while the Federal Government was still able to help build the infrastructure. I don't think there will be a window for this kind of scale in system expansion for some time in the United States.

When both Denver's and Salt Lake City's projects conclude, and thankfully ours will be much sooner, I think we need more people like you, John, bringing up critical questions about continually feeding the burbs with rail and BRT transit instead of the core. Where are we hoping all this density will be located? Well, I would like more of that density near downtown. I remember when we had this debate over the Airport TRAX line extension out to that future green planned community near the Great Salt Lake and I can see where you are coming from a bit more on this now. Sure it's sustainable financially and environmentally, but it just spreads out the density and keeps it from being concentrated near the core. If the majority of the workplaces in that project were manufacturing I think it would be best.

To sum it all up. I'm glad Frontlines 2015 happened and in the future I would like to see more money spent on transit improvements closer to the city cores of Ogden and Salt Lake City (which means cities are going to have to seek after local bonds or Federal Aid). To conservatives reading this, I only respond with, our Middle East spending adventures and our spending programs on old people so that they can have 20 magical years of cruise ship voyages because their hips will be paid for by us, are depleting the funds exponentially faster than infrastructure spending adventures and do nothing for our growth; so aim the bigger cannons in the foreign policy and entitlements direction.

--End of disorganized response.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Aug 24, 2011 at 8:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3405  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:40 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
Some of the proposals that the UTA has presented for Trax expansion are not viable. Current expansion to Daybreak, the airport, etc is warranted, in my opinion. I'm a little less optimistic for the Provo extension of FrontRunner, but time will tell. However, what's the deal with the proposal to extend Trax to southern Davis County? FrontRunner serves whatever purpose a light rail line north would ever accomplish: a Bountiful-Salt Lake connection. I doubt there are very many in Bountiful who are itching to a see a light rail stop on, say, 1500 North Beck Street.
If I may I would like to make the case for a light rail / streetcar line being extended to South Davis (and it's not because I live there ; I'm moving to SLC as soon as I can).

Consider the following:

Bountiful / North Salt Lake has a massive proportion of the people who work downtown for the LDS Church or who are students at the University of Utah. The LDS Church pays for their employees' transit and strongly encourages that they use tansit. When FrontRunner came to WX (which is just north west on the other side of the freeway from Bountiful and NSL), it really did nothing to integrate people south of the station (which is the majority). They would literally have to drive up north in their cars with their gas and time just to get on the train. Remember that these people live 10-14 minutes away from the CBD of Salt Lake City. There is basically no incentive for people who live south of 500 S. in Bountiful to take FrontRunner (that is the majority of South Davis).

UTA tried to kill the buses, but people here who ride the buses in large number fought back and showed that they would basically have to leave transit behind if such a scenario played out. Right now many express buses already run the route between SLC and Bountiful. If you made that into light rail you would be bringing in a property value shot in the arm for Marmalade which would straddle that route and you would encourage density to develop closer to Salt Lake City than West Valley, West Jordan, Murray and Sandy.

After the streetcar leaves inhabited Salt Lake City the plan is for it to have its own grade separated area along the gravel pits through the industrial zone which would allow it to haul balls through there without stops. It would be very competitive with driving during rush hour traffic.

I'm still torn as to what would be the best thing do though. "[I've] changed my mind so much I can't even trust it; my mind changed me so much I can't even trust myself."

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Aug 24, 2011 at 7:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3406  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:32 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
I agree that Trax is only marginally useful right now but in 15 years (if smart developers get their act together) Trax will be the infrastructure backbone of an incredible transit, and community, system. We are building for the future (maybe far future) with Trax. UTA is smart to put the focus on Trax, despite the current hassles, because in the long term it will pay off for them and for the system as a whole. It might be a generation from know but, as gas prices rise and enviromental concerns deepen, people will orient their lives to Trax.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3407  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 5:32 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
I agree, livedowntown. Trax is great now (especially if you live in Salt Lake proper. I know not everyone can, or wants to, but if you live downtown or in the University area, you can park your car for months at a time.) But I think Trax will define SLC's lifestyle in a few decades. This metro area is landlocked, and density will one day be the only option for growth. At that point, transit centers are going to be all the rage.

Also, in the argument for Trax, I know that the number one priority for the system is and should be getting people to and from work. But also, what Trax does in terms of events, say Jazz games, Utes games and concerts at Rice Eccles, the symphony, the capitol, the Salt Palace, the farmer's market, Bees games, etc. is priceless. Being able to hop a train and get dropped off at the front door of the event is fantastic. The way Trax feeds into downtown is a great boon for both residents and visitors alike. I know there are cases when Trax doesn't serve residents and workers as well, but for entertainment and tourism, I think it's almost universally the best option. I don't know how true this is of the soccer stadium and the Jordan Commons, because I avoid Sandy like the plague, but I assume it is true there as well. And imagine how great the airport line will be. In these cases, I think it is totally justifiable. It integrates the metro areas attractions. I frequent West Valley's Wise Guys comedy club, and I'm looking forward to not having to drive there anymore, because that commute 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 via car. Now Wise Guys, the Maverick Center, and the Hale Center Theater are part of that network.
Case in point: Last Wednesday my girlfriend and I both had work off, and for the hell of it, we hopped Trax downtown. We grabbed lunch at the Blue Lemon (pretty good, by the way) and went shopping at the gateway. Then we boarded the Front Runner and went to Ogden on a whim. When we arrived, there was a trolley (bus) waiting for us that drove us the two blocks to downtown. We went to the Junction, did some indoor rock climbing, some bowling, decided we'd have to come back to do some simulated sky-diving, and grabbed dinner on 25th street. Back to the Front Runner, back home to Salt Lake, and took Trax to Trolley Square where we caught the open-mike night at Wise Guys. Took Trax home. Didn't use the car all day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3408  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:37 PM
chad.farnes chad.farnes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
Some of the proposals that the UTA has presented for Trax expansion are not viable. Current expansion to Daybreak, the airport, etc is warranted, in my opinion. I'm a little less optimistic for the Provo extension of FrontRunner, but time will tell.
The FrontRunner south extension is the extension that I am most excited about. My sister live right off the future station in Orem and I go down there at least once a week. I usually take the bus, but it is a huge pain. The express bus is great, but only runs for a couple hours in the morning (to Salt Lake) and in the evening (to Provo). Also it is always full and I usually get on the last stop at UVU, which means it is more than full and I have to stand the entire trip. If I can't fit the express bus in my schedule, I have to take the TRAX connector, which almost takes 2 hours to get from Provo to Salt Lake. Then there is the whole bike issue. I got left off of 2 buses a couple of weeks ago because I needed to take my bike and the two spots available at the front of the bus were taken.

I can't wait for a quick, reliable, and easy mode of transportation between Salt Lake and Utah County. The current options work, but they can be a pain. I for one will be using FrontRunner South all of the time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3409  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 7:31 PM
tygr tygr is offline
Development Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
Current expansion to Daybreak, the airport, etc is warranted, in my opinion. I'm a little less optimistic for the Provo extension of FrontRunner, but time will tell.
I'm not sure where you live, but it seems like you feel that the population outside Salt Lake County doesn't matter or exist. Please consider those of us that don't call SL County home.

I frequently travel between Spanish Fork, South Ogden and Layton to see family and am excited to have FrontRunner finish it's southern line. There are tons of locations I will likely visit more regularly when I don't have to worry about driving, parking, traffic, etc.

Not every TRAX line needs to connect to SL County TRAX lines. Instead, Maybe some of these communities need to band together (lobby UTA) and create plans for systems that would connect their own system (Weber County, N. Davis County, S. Davis County, Utah County) with the FrontRunner system.

For example, to continue TRAX from Draper around to Lehi and on down to Provo is unnecessary as long as the Utah County TRAX connects to at least one FrontRunner station (FRs); preferrably starting at Lehi FRs, running down State St. until Provo FRs. However, I also feel that it would be wiser to test it out with a MAX bus system until ridership warrants moving it over to a TRAX system. I know they've talked about a MAX from UVU to BYU and their close respective FRs, but I don't know if that's been delayed or killed because of the economy.

A FrontRunner line out to Magna and Tooele may be viable BEFORE extending the line to Brigham City and Santaquin.

[Sorry for the rant/length. ]
__________________
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight, but no vision.
—Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3410  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 10:23 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
^I agree with that last line. At least to Magna, I don't know if
Tooele would be more viable then Brigham City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3411  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 12:20 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
So I really started pondering today why I-70 didn't go the U.S. 6 Route into Spanish Fork and then I found this really informative website about the history of the Freeway. If you have some time it is well worth a read.

Had 1-70 taken that route it would have plumbed Denver directly into the Wasatch Front; think about how many more people would have identified Utah with civilization vs. Cove Fort .

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/covefort.cfm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3412  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:56 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
I'm not sure where you live, but it seems like you feel that the population outside Salt Lake County doesn't matter or exist. Please consider those of us that don't call SL County home.

I frequently travel between Spanish Fork, South Ogden and Layton to see family and am excited to have FrontRunner finish it's southern line. There are tons of locations I will likely visit more regularly when I don't have to worry about driving, parking, traffic, etc.
I'm not at all against FrontRunner to Provo, or public transportation outside of Salt Lake... All I meant was I think the Provo extension might be a little slow to garner strong ridership numbers. It will eventually, but maybe not right when it opens. I'm just basing this on FrontRunner to Ogden. Ridership is a tad lackluster to this day. I still think it was a worthy investment to build it, though. More people riding it would be nice, is all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3413  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:43 AM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
^
Utah county is the second largest county in Utah. Plus, they have about 60,000 college students and allot of commuters. I think the ridership will be more on the south line then on the northern line. I was told, the only reason Ogden got it first is because Utah count wasn't as quick to fund it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3414  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 6:17 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I hate UDOT sometimes. So I guess UDOT has the onramp from I-80 to I-215 SB closed tonight. A heads up would of been nice. So now I'm having to head North on I-215 out of my way. No big deal, I'll get off at 700 N. Well guess what?.....the next two exits are ALSO closed. So I had to drive clear the hell up to 2100 N. just to get off and turn around to get back on heading South.
No heads up
Three exits in a row that were closed.
And to top it all off......when I really got back to where I was at the first on ramp that was close I didn't see a single UDOT worker out their during whatever the hell is it they are doing to the road. No point of closing a ramp if nobody is even working on it. 1000 stupid points awarded to UDOT.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3415  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 6:17 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261


Ogden got first dibs because it was a condition that the Legacy Freeway be built with a transit line. FrontRunner North was part of the many hoops that had be jumped through to make Legacy happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3416  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 6:19 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I hate UDOT sometimes. So I guess UDOT has the onramp from I-80 to I-215 SB closed tonight. A heads up would of been nice. So now I'm having to head North on I-215 out of my way. No big deal, I'll get off at 700 N. Well guess what?.....the next two exits are ALSO closed. So I had to drive clear the hell up to 2100 N. just to get off and turn around to get back on heading South.
No heads up
Three exits in a row that were closed.
And to top it all off......when I really got back to where I was at the first on ramp that was close I didn't see a single UDOT worker out their during whatever the hell is it they are doing to the road. No point of closing a ramp if nobody is even working on it. 1000 stupid points awarded to UDOT.
This night construction has been going on for some time now. I think it's better than doing it during the day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3417  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 6:20 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
This night construction has been going on for some time now. I think it's better than doing it during the day.

Night is the only time they can do it, sure. It just 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 for all of us who get off work at 11:30 at night. Having three exits in a row closed was a bit much.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3418  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 8:40 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
So I really started pondering today why I-70 didn't go the U.S. 6 Route into Spanish Fork and then I found this really informative website about the history of the Freeway. If you have some time it is well worth a read.

Had 1-70 taken that route it would have plumbed Denver directly into the Wasatch Front; think about how many more people would have identified Utah with civilization vs. Cove Fort .

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/covefort.cfm
Very interesting read. Maybe one day we will have a interstate connecting Salt Lake and Denver in a more direct route now that they have become 2 major shipping routes in the western part of the country. I understand the reasoning on putting I-70 at Cove Fort and nice to finally know why it was put there. I always thought it to be an odd place to just end an interstate highway, as it was in the middle of know where.

On a side note if anyone ever heads down to I-70 through Ephraim and Manti I would recommend staying the night in Gunnison at the Gunnison Rose Inn Bed and Breakfast. My wife and I spent 3 nights there this last January and loved it. Its a beautiful old home with 6 rooms and the owners are very nice. They have one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. We stayed in the Country Room and had plans to stay in the larger 1,000 square foot room for the Manti Pageant this past June. We would have stayed, but after we moved from Utah we no longer had the jobs we did and the money was no longer available and had to cancel our stay. The prices are also very reasonable. We only paid somewhere between $50-60 a night and the larger 1,000 square foot room is only $100 a night. after weighing the breakfast, room, and the hospitality of the owners its a steal. There may not be a hole lot of places around to do much in the area, but if you are looking for a get away place for you and your spouse, I would totally recommend it. There is also an old theatre across the street, that if you really wanted you could catch one of the 2 shows they provide.

http://www.gunnisonrose.com/

Looks like the prices are a little higher than we paid but I think my wife also booked the room through a bed and breakfast site.

I know I kinda got off topic about a bed and breakfast, but I think it fits for those that love to travel. When you travel you use transit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3419  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 3:28 PM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
I took the new South Jordan TRAX line just for fun. The last three stations are miles away from anything, which allows for lots of future development. Anyway a round-trip ticket was $4.50. You specifically can't use round-trip tickets on buses. You can drive there a lot cheaper. A monthly pass is $75. I thought public transportation was supposed to be cheaper than private automobiles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3420  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 3:52 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
I took the new South Jordan TRAX line just for fun. The last three stations are miles away from anything, which allows for lots of future development. Anyway a round-trip ticket was $4.50. You specifically can't use round-trip tickets on buses. You can drive there a lot cheaper. A monthly pass is $75. I thought public transportation was supposed to be cheaper than private automobiles.
It is much cheaper than paying a car payment ($200-700+), insurance ($75-150+), maintenance ($30-100+)and gas ($80-250+).

$75 to get everywhere the system goes is considerably cheaper. (Not more convenient or faster - although it can be - just less expensive over all)
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:51 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.