HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3361  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 6:28 AM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Excellent update. I'm wondering where the white concrete will end and the red concrete will begin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3362  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 7:01 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
Really nice photos s.p.

Is there really 2 different lamp post schemes going on with the new viaduct? In some pictures more classic downtown lamp posts are featured alongside these bizzare green probes that look they may spew an alien death ray upon any pedestrians that may pass. Redundant lighting and they don't seem to mix well.

The last thing downtown needs is yet another lamp post theme and an alien one at that.
I think those classic streetlights you're talking about are part of a parking lot, not the bridge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
North Temple Viaduct Update:
You see what I'm thinking? But as for those green ones, I actually quite like them. They look exactly like what one would find in a European city. Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
Also did anyone notice that UDOT chose to use their newer straight armed Traffic light masts instead of the curved ones? I think the straight ones should be the new standard don't you?
I don't think UDOT had a say in whether to used the curved mast-arms or the straight ones. North Temple hasn't been under state jurisdiction since 2007. But I also like the straight mast-arms better; UDOT (along with city municipalities) has been doing a mix of the two lately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3363  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:56 PM
shakman's Avatar
shakman shakman is offline
Chairman
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 2,688
SLC - CDG Route update

I like those green lights. Will they be LED's?

Typical reduction in service to CDG (update is towards the top):
http://airlineroute.net/2011/08/13/dl-w11update5/
__________________
"I measure the value of life not by how much I have, instead by what I have done.

-sb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3364  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:06 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
Excellent update. I'm wondering where the white concrete will end and the red concrete will begin.
Somewhere on the overpass... I would guess the station
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3365  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 4:51 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
I just drove over the overpass. There was a crowd of people lining the sidewalk waving at cars going by... Awesomeness!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3366  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 2:48 AM
WASDEN's Avatar
WASDEN WASDEN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kailua HI
Posts: 391
Yeah not liking those green arms. I like the classic street lamps featured on the 400, 500 and 600 S. overpasses. They remind you that your coming into the city. North Temple is the Northern gateway to downtown and the lighting scheme should reflect that. Realy its design says "just another highway". I was kinda hoping for a little more style. I guess I should just be content with a shortend viaduct.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3367  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:13 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
I had a chance to go to the opening event for the viaduct today and see the "first vehicles" go across. It was a great time.


The street lights are all LED. There are LED lights that are also on both sides of the viaduct (embedded in the concrete wall that helps keep pedestrians from falling to their death from the sidewalk). I saw them turned on this morning and they appeared to be blue (they may be capable of changing colors though).

The concrete holding the light rail tracks in place looks like it is going to be normal in color until the viaduct flattens out on its west side (red color will then pick up from there).

I really like the styling of the street lights and stop lights along with the future TRAX stations. The whole airport line is going with a more sleek and less conservative in its theme which I believe will bode well for the kind of development we will see along this corridor over the next couple of decades. Because this style begins as it leaves the part of downtown that has been themed with the historic style, I don't see how this will disturb the stylistic harmony of the City.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Aug 18, 2011 at 3:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3368  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:44 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
I like the look of the lights (short and tall) but I have yet to see LED streetlights that don't emit horrendously blue light. They were installed in Holladay a few months ago and the residential streets now look absolutely terrible at night. They're bright enough -- they shine like spotlights -- but they don't illuminate the surrounding area as well as the old cobra heads. I would imagine, and in my experience it would seem this way, that the lights are so intense that they reduce your visibility of darker areas. I really hope the city invests in amber LEDs in the future, because as it is now, this technology is not quite up to steam yet. The price of low costs is high...

Last edited by John Martin; Aug 18, 2011 at 4:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3369  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 7:00 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
I can almost guarantee those street lights are LED.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3370  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:31 PM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
The North Temple "Grand Boulevard" must start at the viaduct. So are we going to see this same theme all along it? The green lights look cheap for some reason. I like the "little bit of Paris" lights better, that you see in other parts of the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3371  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 5:20 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Ultra light rail?

I'm sure some of you are familiar with the People Mover concept from Disneyland's Tomorrow Land, but would you actually consider it as a practical and useful form of transportation for quick in-town trips to the local store, etc.? Well, check out this article. Peter Calthorpe, the nation's most reknowned authority of New Urbanism, and the designer of Daybreak and many other similar developments across the U.S., is now involved in the planning with this type of transit for a high-density development in a Portland suburb. The development will have 15,000 new residents, 15-20 story highrises, and the ?elevated? 4-person Ultra light rail. The Ultra is quicker than a street car and circulatory bus.

http://www.ultraprt.com/applications/proposed-systems/portland-amberglen/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3372  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 7:41 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836


That's a very risky Idea, but it could revolutionize the way we see suburban transit if successful. It's great that it would be connected to a MAX station. I haven't been to Portland (or Seattle) but I'm dying to go up there and check out these progressive Northwest cities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3373  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:48 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
I lived there. Well, 2 miles from there. Not enough density to justify or pay to operate the people mover. People will just drive.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3374  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:17 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I lived there. Well, 2 miles from there. Not enough density to justify or pay to operate the people mover. People will just drive.
There's not enough density now, of course. But, this is for a proposed high-density development plan of mid and high rises, called, Amberglen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3375  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:28 AM
Reachforthesky Reachforthesky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 207
Salt Lake's newest freeway now one-third complete!

Mountain View Corridor one-third complete
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=16868298


WEST JORDAN — Construction on the Mountain View Corridor is one-third complete.

And for Teri Newell, that's reason to celebrate.

"When you're in the planning phase, trying to resolve all the issues, address people's concerns, it's hard to believe when you get to this point," said Newell, the Utah Department of Transportation's project manager for the future highway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3376  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:37 PM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
I think the neighbors will be very happy that the North Temple viaduct is opening. Last Saturday I sat at 2nd North for about a half hour waiting for a train to move off the street. One guy said he'd been waiting for an hour. I thought they couldn't block the road that long. Luckily I worked on my notebook while waiting. Finally I gave up and drove up to 6th North and crossed the tracks on the viaduct.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3377  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:26 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
I think the neighbors will be very happy that the North Temple viaduct is opening. Last Saturday I sat at 2nd North for about a half hour waiting for a train to move off the street. One guy said he'd been waiting for an hour. I thought they couldn't block the road that long. Luckily I worked on my notebook while waiting. Finally I gave up and drove up to 6th North and crossed the tracks on the viaduct.
It take less then 2 minuts extra to use 600 north. I wouldn't even turn down 200 north if a saw a train there. There is no reason to sit there for 1 hour... Or even 5 minuts for that matter.


Just me though
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3378  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 7:06 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
TRAX did not handle the influx of college students well at all. The transfer at the Courthouse Station filled the trams uncomfortably full with almost no room to spare. By the time we made our way up to the stop by Trolley Square, no one waiting at the stop was able to get on (9:00 AM).

I wouldn't be surprised if UTA quickly brought back morning University TRAX trains from the FrontRunner station to the University.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3379  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 7:16 PM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Maybe they will have to hire some attendants to help fill the trains like they do in Japan.

• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3380  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 7:35 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
TRAX did not handle the influx of college students well at all. The transfer at the Courthouse Station filled the trams uncomfortably full with almost no room to spare. By the time we made our way up to the stop by Trolley Square, no one waiting at the stop was able to get on (9:00 AM).

I wouldn't be surprised if UTA quickly brought back morning University TRAX trains from the FrontRunner station to the University.
I'm not too surprised to hear this. I was thinking the other day that with all the changes, the first day of school was going to be a mess. I hope you're right and there's some quick fixes coming.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.