HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2641  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 11:50 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,904
IMO HbD has been a huge failure and it would be a major mistake to repeat that process for other parts of the city. All it would do would be to give the bloated city planning bureaucracy something to do for a few years with no actual benefit resulting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2642  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 5:44 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
IMO HbD has been a huge failure and it would be a major mistake to repeat that process for other parts of the city. All it would do would be to give the bloated city planning bureaucracy something to do for a few years with no actual benefit resulting.
HbD is form based code - so it gets into a lot of detail about the building that you can have; whereas a zoning system typically describes the box in which you can build (height, distance from the street, other buildings, etc.).

I think there are a lot of good pieces to HbD - the pre and post bonus map concept is good. It allows the city to leverage from developers improvements to the public realm that normally wouldn't occur; in order for the developer to get more height. Where I think HbD fails is that the post bonus heights are not high enough. HbD also has the design manual which gives people a general design expectation for development - which is a serious attempt to get better designs. That is good, but should be looked at regularly.

If you combined the leveraging system for height (pre/post bonus heights) with a zoning that required mixed use along major roads (like say quinpool) and included in the leveraging system the requirement for subsidized housing (throwing out a bone to those who harp on that) - with the design elements such as street wall heights and the design requirements, you might get something that works okay. But the other thing to consider is that no one is really doing much development outside the core except in the new greenfield subdivisions. So I don't know if this would do anything to really encourage more development in those areas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2643  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 3:55 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,986
South Street Townhouse demolition;





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2644  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 12:35 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Geotechnical work was being done yesterday in the parking lot of the Citadel Hotel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2645  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 3:48 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Geotechnical work was being done yesterday in the parking lot of the Citadel Hotel.
There was a proposal a number of years ago for a 14 storey building in the parking lot with connection to a revamped Citadel Inn. I assume this is a newer version of that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2646  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 4:15 PM
hoser111's Avatar
hoser111 hoser111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
There was a proposal a number of years ago for a 14 storey building in the parking lot with connection to a revamped Citadel Inn. I assume this is a newer version of that.
There was an article in Metro News a couple of days ago stating that the developer was in town sharing their plans with city planners and that they would have more on it in roughly the September time frame.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2647  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 8:25 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,986
NEW PROPOSAL TIME!

WM Fares Group has submitted plans for a 43-unit residential building on the north side of Windsor Street at the Connolly Street intersection. The lot is currently vacant (surface parking) and is in a row of duplexes and small apartment buildings. This is a stone's throw away from the Connaught Avenue intersection on Strawberry Hill.

Case 17108 Details
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2648  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:21 PM
Northend Guy Northend Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 254
Is it just me, or has Fares been using a bit of the shotgun approach lately? - Propose a whole bunch of stuff, and see what sticks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2649  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:00 PM
planarchy's Avatar
planarchy planarchy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
NEW PROPOSAL TIME!

WM Fares Group has submitted plans for a 43-unit residential building on the north side of Windsor Street at the Connolly Street intersection. The lot is currently vacant (surface parking) and is in a row of duplexes and small apartment buildings. This is a stone's throw away from the Connaught Avenue intersection on Strawberry Hill.

Case 17108 Details
Wowo...someone needs to tell WMFares to try out some new glass textures for SketchUp. That thing looks ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2650  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 6:08 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,986
Ok, I need some help figuring this out. I am trying to add the new WM Fares proposal to my developments map and the lot is is a spot that is within 100m of FOUR DIFFERENT districts. For now I am going to list it under its current district (Fairview Cove). However I would like to have some feedback as to what you think. The three adjacent districts are Fairview Cove, West-End, Mumford, and Kempt Corridor.

Halifax Developments Map
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2651  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 6:47 PM
Waye Mason's Avatar
Waye Mason Waye Mason is offline
opinionated so and so
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 721
I like it, I guess. Hard to tell, as said the renderings mean it could be okay, good, or crappy, depending on the material used. I think it is appropriate for the site.

I'd like to see the parking pulled back into the lot a bit and Windsor widened a bit at that point, I think Windsor should be 4 lanes from the overpass to Cunard, the only choke point is from Willow Park to Connaught.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2652  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 6:52 PM
Waye Mason's Avatar
Waye Mason Waye Mason is offline
opinionated so and so
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
IMO HbD has been a huge failure and it would be a major mistake to repeat that process for other parts of the city. All it would do would be to give the bloated city planning bureaucracy something to do for a few years with no actual benefit resulting.
So far everyone who has applied under HRMbD has been approved inside of 60 days, so I don't really understand what your logic is. The approval process is way faster now, if you follow the guidelines. The guidelines will be reviewed soon, so I expect that it will run even more smoothly.

The main reason development is slow in Halifax downtown would seem to me to be commercial taxes are far too high, and the economy has been in the crapper since 2008, not the HRMbD process or the MPS.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2653  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 7:56 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
So far everyone who has applied under HRMbD has been approved inside of 60 days, so I don't really understand what your logic is.
How much of this is due to the fact that the sort of projects that used to be appealed are simply not permitted under HbD?

I think HbD's strength is that it's good for what should be about 80% of new developments -- background type developments of moderate scale and fairly standard design. There's nothing wrong with building an apartment development that doesn't stand out in any particular way. If there were 50 average red brick apartment developments downtown the area would be dramatically more vibrant. The plain designs wouldn't matter much because they'd blend into the background. People would still pay attention to interesting landmark buildings like the old post office or Province House.

There's a tendency to think of big, successful cities as collections of exceptional buildings but in reality Manhattan consists mostly of 4-5 very standard building types with minor variations. A city like Paris is even more consistent, with occasional points of architectural interest.

I do agree that HbD is too conservative with exception buildings and building locations, however. It's like the planners didn't even understand what Halifax already is and produced a plan for Boulder, CO or some other supposed planning utopia.

Last edited by someone123; Aug 17, 2011 at 8:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2654  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
haligonia's Avatar
haligonia haligonia is offline
Urban Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Ok, I need some help figuring this out. I am trying to add the new WM Fares proposal to my developments map and the lot is is a spot that is within 100m of FOUR DIFFERENT districts. For now I am going to list it under its current district (Fairview Cove). However I would like to have some feedback as to what you think. The three adjacent districts are Fairview Cove, West-End, Mumford, and Kempt Corridor.

Halifax Developments Map
I'd go with West End. It's the neighbourhood I first thought of when I heard the location of the proposal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2655  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 5:06 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I'd go with West End. It's the neighbourhood I first thought of when I heard the location of the proposal.
Thanks. I have edited the map to have Strawberry Hill in the West-End.

When I first saw the address I thought how do two parellel street intersect?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2656  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:28 PM
Northend Guy Northend Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I'd go with West End. It's the neighbourhood I first thought of when I heard the location of the proposal.
I thought exactly the same thing. Mind you...the area immediately surrounding this site is not the most attractive - sort of the armpit of the West end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2657  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 5:44 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Just spent a week in your lovely city, and just had to say how impressed I was with how your city takes care of and embraces historic buildings... loved the street action along Barrington Street and the patios along Argyl too

Some of the development along the Wharf (halifax side) is top notch. I was loving up the apartments going up near the sea port (Hollis and Morris). The sea port farmers market was excellent, and we especially loved the amount of restaurants and well planned condos down there too (the bicycle theif, a mano, etc.). Spent a fortune on food and wine.

Anyways, we escaped being haunted by apparent ghosts at the Waverly Inn and came back with an appreciation for Halifax! Such a cool city!! Will definitely be back!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2658  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 6:08 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
Just spent a week in your lovely city, and just had to say how impressed I was with how your city takes care of and embraces historic buildings... loved the street action along Barrington Street and the patios along Argyl too

Some of the development along the Wharf (halifax side) is top notch. I was loving up the apartments going up near the sea port (Hollis and Morris). The sea port farmers market was excellent, and we especially loved the amount of restaurants and well planned condos down there too (the bicycle theif, a mano, etc.). Spent a fortune on food and wine.

Anyways, we escaped being haunted by apparent ghosts at the Waverly Inn and came back with an appreciation for Halifax! Such a cool city!! Will definitely be back!!
Wow! Thank you so much for the kind words regarding our city. It isn't something people always share. Tell your friends. Hope you can come back soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2659  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 6:21 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
Just spent a week in your lovely city, and just had to say how impressed I was with how your city takes care of and embraces historic buildings... loved the street action along Barrington Street and the patios along Argyl too

Some of the development along the Wharf (halifax side) is top notch. I was loving up the apartments going up near the sea port (Hollis and Morris). The sea port farmers market was excellent, and we especially loved the amount of restaurants and well planned condos down there too (the bicycle theif, a mano, etc.). Spent a fortune on food and wine.

Anyways, we escaped being haunted by apparent ghosts at the Waverly Inn and came back with an appreciation for Halifax! Such a cool city!! Will definitely be back!!
Speaking as a former Halifax resident who now lives out east - I fully agree; thanks for the great comments. On behalf of the group, I will be enjoying the hospitality of your fine city (Edmonton) this weekend and next!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2660  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 12:38 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,986
Credit Union renovations in Downtown Dartmouth;

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.