HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3321  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:49 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
That block has a lot of potential and hope when its fully developed it has a ton of retail at street level and at least 1000 residential units added to the block. Toss a Hotel there as well to bring in the tourists. between the housing and hotels it should bring foot traffic between CCC and the south end of downtown. then bridge the gap between CCC and the Gateway and the current downtown would be well rounded. I would also like to see more housing built around the Gateway to keep that area growing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3322  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 8:36 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Earl Holding does not own that block. The LDS Church owns the entire block and the property south of the Ken Garff Building along Main Street.

I rode the train downtown today and it was a very smooth and uneventful ride. I hope my ride home is the same. There will certainly be an adjustment period during this new transition. Hopefully, it will not be too painful or lengthy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3323  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 8:51 PM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Rode both the red and green lines in their entirety. Indeed, an uneventful ride; everything went smoothly. I commend the UTA. Stations are announced well in advance, as well as any transfer points that are approaching. I really like the new system. What an impressive transit system we have now! It won't be for another year until I can use Trax regularly, but I'll be anticipating a good ride when it gets there.

No music played today in Daybreak or the curve by the stadium, so I suppose that was just for opening day.

On the green line, there was a sort of stop between River Trail and Central Pointe where employees (of UTA) could get on. It was a tad bizarre, but I figure it only functions during non-peak hours.

I took some photos, and I'll post those later today.

Last edited by CountyLemonade; Aug 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Clarify.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3324  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 9:43 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
I just boarded the green line at WVCentral. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people who got off when the train pulled in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3325  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 11:11 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Does anybody know why the new trains are not as long as the old trains?
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3326  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 12:47 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Does anybody know why the new trains are not as long as the old trains?
Perhaps a three-car line of the new trains is just as long as a four-car line of the old trains. That, or the ridership is not yet there for longer trains.

Anyway, here's the photos.



















Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3327  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:45 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Love it--I'm hoping I can take my boys on the new lines before my school starts up again. They've been looking forward to both lines for years now.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3328  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:57 AM
H4vok's Avatar
H4vok H4vok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Heber City, UT
Posts: 336
There is definitely some bugs they need to work out still - I was sitting on 21st south waiting for the crossing arms to raise for probably 15 minutes. You should have seen the mess it created. Cars were backed up passed 300 west almost to I-15. Not sure what was going on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3329  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:39 AM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
Did they eliminate the free fare zone? I heard a rumor that they did.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3330  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:14 AM
gusam26's Avatar
gusam26 gusam26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Did they eliminate the free fare zone? I heard a rumor that they did.
That is false!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3331  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:30 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Yeah, it's still down to Courthouse Station.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3332  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:57 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I did find it interesting that all of the media articles were singing the praises of a smoothe commute based solely on the morning commute. I'm not sure if anybody else was waiting for an hour for any southbound train out of downtown but it was a very hot, frustrating hour. I could hear the UTA employees on the platform talking on the radio. Apparently, there were trains stopped and stuck all over the southbound line.

I even have a pretty impressive sunburn on my face to prove it. I'm hoping that the ride home today runs better or they risk losing a base of ridership.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3333  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:05 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
^^^
Awesome photo updates CountyLemonade!


Image by thetransportpolitic.com

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Aug 9, 2011 at 3:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3334  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 5:38 PM
shakman's Avatar
shakman shakman is offline
Chairman
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 2,688
SLC Route Update

United (United Express) will be reducing service to Los Angeles. Service will be reduced to 1-daily on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The rest of the week will maintain 3-daily flights. This change will take effect on August 29, 2011.
http://airlineroute.net/2011/08/09/ua-lax-sep11/
__________________
"I measure the value of life not by how much I have, instead by what I have done.

-sb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3335  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:24 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
CountryLemonade: Nice update! How did your photos of the new displays turn out so well? I tried photographing them but the text kept flickering and moving vertically on my camera display.

SP: Excellent find! I haven't heard of that site before but it is very interesting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3336  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 8:29 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
would be nice but has he even shown any signs of anything on those parking lots. I know he has stated he has ideas of things he wants to build there but hasn't shared what those plans are.
As others have said, Earl Holding doesn't own the land any longer, but when he did, his plans were to build an upscale shopping center on that block to provide shopping for guests at his hotels. I guess City Creek was the final nail in the coffin of his plans to build a shopping center there, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3337  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:23 PM
msbutah's Avatar
msbutah msbutah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 140
Awesome pics - I've ridden it in to work (So. Jordan Parkway to Trolley) the last two days and I love the new lines. The adventure through the rail-yard and under the freeway interchange as it connects up to the north/south line is pretty fun to see. I've also heard it plays the U Fight song when it goes up the hill to the U. That would be a tad irritating to listen to every morning but I maybe they'll make it on special days (game days) only.
It appears they're making progress on the pay garage in Jordan. That will be nice to watch built as time goes.
Also, the South Jordan station is way, way west from any development in Daybreak. Like 60th west. It's a 5 minute drive for me, and I'm on 4300 West. They've got a lot of developing to do...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3338  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 1:09 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I have a sister that lives in the subdivision just west of Daybreak that's been an island in the middle of know where for the past 7 years. To them its just a couple minute drive over. So for some its still a nice location, but yes there will be lots of development over the next few years in that area. I only hope its a little more dense than single family housing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3339  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:24 PM
msbutah's Avatar
msbutah msbutah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 140
Two more pics from this morning:

Untitled by mateoutah, on Flickr

Untitled by mateoutah, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3340  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:41 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Article from the Trib:


"UTA shrugs off disappointing TRAX ridership on first commuter day"

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/52355421-90/trax-monday-ridership-system.html.csp
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.