Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes
^ A common joke around here is that Calgary is Saskatchewan's largest city. A reference to the number of SK expats in Alberta of course. 
|

oh wow. So it is true then!!
I'm pretty sure I recall him saying a
quarter million people in Calgary are former Saskies...which just blew my mind... I've heard similar numbers tossed around for Edmonton.
I'm not truly sure though what he said, but regardless that is a funny saying.
It would be interesting to see how many people exactly are from Sask originally...I've heard many moving back in recent years which is good to hear. I mean, they even had ads on Deerfoot to go back to Sask!!! That blew my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind
Up until 2008, at a population of 2.2 million, Vancouver also didn't have a building over 150 meters either. So if you're so concerned about my opinion of you're regions "phallic reach," why aren't you considering it a compliment that I'm curious to see if there are any 150 meter proposals coming down the pipe? Especially for cities that are anywhere from 1/12th to 1/3rd Vancouver's size?
Alright, different question then, what will Winnipeg hit first? 150 meters or 1 million pop? And I was always under the impression that Regina and Saskatoon were of similar size, both in population and general appearance and size of their skylines. If regina is almost 50 000 smaller than Saskatoon, how did it end up getting the larger and more identifiable skyline?
|
Hmm, very good question indeed. And its a tricky one. To be honest, its almost unforeseeable. Like for example, if MB Hydro went in a different direction with their head office building, we would have a 170m building in the Peg today and the question would likely be "When will Winnipeg get another 150m + building" instead.
Will head offices consolidate their efforts in a few more towers in the city? Will there be some unforeseen exodus of American businesses that move to Canada (unlikely - outside of maybe moving Canadian HO's), will the oil business in MB become taken up and pushed by a MB-based company? Will MB Hydro or MTS or Richardson decide they need another office tower for their workforce? (Richardson certainly could handle it...they have a huge workforce, and by raw numbers they could support a few more towers of same size they currently have but its not all concentrated in Winnipeg)? Or might there be some unforeseen new startup company in the city or something that happens down the line with CentrePort that makes a company desire office space downtown?
For instance, right now there is not a lot of demand for top tier office space in the city (like the top floors of former Canwest/TD building), but there is demand for smaller & cheaper office space. I think mixed use hotel, office and apartment towers are going to be mainly in the future for Winnipeg's downtown. The tricky thing is its tough to predict...who knew for instance Winnipeg would be doing this well economically? It certainly was not what the "experts" predicted in the early 2000's.
Very tough to predict. I am right down the line 50/50. Sorry
I would bet on a few more 85-115m buildings of mixed use than 150m + for the foreseeable future. But even that is tough to gauge.
One thing is for certain; 5 years from now Winnipeg's skyline will look different thanks for a few key projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454
A building with that height would require a large portion of the market with the amount of sq footage, especially at the cost it would go for. Also the top four floors of the Canwest Building now stand empty, so I would worry about filling our current gaps, along with replacing our parking lots with multiple low-midrise buildings to increase density first.
I personally love Ottawa's skyline, not for its height but for its density. There is not many Canadian cities with that kind of density right downtown.
|
Yep, well said. Ottawa feels even crazier. I remember being pleasantly surprised my first trip there. It doesn't have the height even Winnipeg has, but I remember I never even thought about or noticed that till I went back to Peg city. It was just
that immersive. Beautiful city too. Not seeing a single parking lot was so beautiful
I would say that should be Winnipeg's next target. All the redevelopment in the Exchange is the first step towards that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind
That much is true. Ottawa feels much bigger downtown then it really is.
As for building density though, don't do what Vancouver did, and build so much density that it becomes economically unfeasible to build taller in the future. Plenty of midrises-highrises downtown that could have supported true skyscrapers that probably wont be torn down for the next 25-30 years because the return isn't there.
|
Interesting to note. However, also don't forget why exactly Vancouver build those mid-rises...housing. Not just due to the greater Vancouver area's metro, but also because space was/is an issue in Vancouver. In Winnipeg, that's not the case. First off, there is no where near the density in downtown Winnipeg as there is downtown Vancouver, and second, we have sprawling sub urbs...these cut the need and necessity for building downtown. In Vancouver, it was cheaper and made more sense for developers to build an appt building that a new neighbourhood. In Winnipeg, the opposite is (generally) the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian
The reason why Regina's skyline is more pronounced, despite being 50,000 fewer people than Saskatoon, is simply this: Regina is Saskatchewan's capital city, so it has the crown corp head offices and gov't jobs which require a lot of office space. Conversely, Saskatoon is home to the provincial university and, as such, has university infrastructure superior to Regina. Saskatoon's population growth has outpaced Regina by a wide margin for decades now, so my guess is that we will see many more tall buildings (with private sector tenants) constructed in the future in Saskatoon commensurate with the continued robust growth rate of Saskatoon.
|
Yeah, Regina vs Saskatoon development is one of my emerging favourite things to follow. Both cities are in a unique place, and its an exciting time to follow them or live in them. I like Saskatoon's student life. Gonna make a trip there when I'm more settled in Canada...too much back and forth overseas for the next little while.
ed: - But I've also been itching to hit up Regina...as other have said on this page, its in major boom mode. People need to take Regina's population into account too when discussing the skyline. I have yet to come across a city of 215k
anywhere in the world with a skyline like Regina's.