HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #221  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 8:53 PM
GmC GmC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14
The beef tacos are excellent! Especially at 3 for $5. That truck is usually downtown during the lunch hours, on Henderson across from the Dairy Queen during the evenings and then somewhere in the exchange after the bar rush. Combing this taco truck and smoke's poutine, we've got some great street food in Winnipeg!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #222  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:29 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
So, I noticed a "Coming this Fall: Swiss Chalet" sign on the southwest corner of the Kenaston Common Wal-Mart parking lot, along with heavy machinery starting construction.

When the heck are we going to see five-guys burgers and fries open up?
I noted that a 3-unit orange and grey building, with a drive-thru perths, went up in Kenaston Common near D'Acquisto a while ago, and figured it would go in one of those units... but still nothing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #223  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:40 PM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
I am going to go out on a limb here, but I have to say that Smoke's Poutine rates about a C in my books. Good potatoes, but lousy gravy and skimpy cheese. I only got the basic version - didn't want any bacon distractions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #224  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 3:00 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here, but I have to say that Smoke's Poutine rates about a C in my books. Good potatoes, but lousy gravy and skimpy cheese. I only got the basic version - didn't want any bacon distractions.
I have heard that the gravy is better when it isn't super busy and they aren't trying to keep up constantly with making more gravy quickly.

I had friends go at lunch and go another time in the middle of the afternoon and they said the gravy was much better in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #225  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:39 PM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
I am willing to give it a second try!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #226  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 9:18 PM
BariasEC BariasEC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
So, I noticed a "Coming this Fall: Swiss Chalet" sign on the southwest corner of the Kenaston Common Wal-Mart parking lot, along with heavy machinery starting construction.

When the heck are we going to see five-guys burgers and fries open up?
I noted that a 3-unit orange and grey building, with a drive-thru perths, went up in Kenaston Common near D'Acquisto a while ago, and figured it would go in one of those units... but still nothing.
that's like a 2 minute walk from my place!!
actually.. i'll go get you guys a pic right now
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #227  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:22 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I am willing to give it a second try!
still a friggin line up outside it tonight crazy...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #228  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 2:57 AM
BariasEC BariasEC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 77
here:







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #229  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 9:18 PM
pegcity's Avatar
pegcity pegcity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Winnipeg.
Posts: 461
Congrats Winnipeg, welcome back Swiss Chalet! lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #230  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 2:50 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
Its nice to see familiar old institutions return to the city...
...of course, I'm not just talking about a Canadian chicken chain
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #231  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 3:00 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,012
So my mom referred to Kfc as champs again yesterday. I googled it and came up with a YouTube commercial for champs Kentucky fried chicken delivered to your door.


I need some answers to this mystery that has plagued me for my whole life! I figured some you you fine folks could help me out.


Can anyone shed some light on why my mom calls it champs. What was champs? Were the stores branded as champs or as Kentucky fried chicken?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #232  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 3:42 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,570
Champs Food Systems, owned by Oscar Grubert, operated the original Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises in Manitoba, as well as several other restaurants (Mother Tuckers Food Experience, Garden Crepery, Butcher Block, G Willikers and the Grubee's chain). All KFC's are now corporate owned.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #233  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:23 AM
brithgob brithgob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Champs Food Systems, owned by Oscar Grubert, operated the original Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises in Manitoba, as well as several other restaurants (Mother Tuckers Food Experience, Garden Crepery, Butcher Block, G Willikers and the Grubee's chain). All KFC's are now corporate owned.
This last sentence is not universally true, though I can't speak to Manitoba specifically. The Saskatoon locations are still owned by their original franchisee, El Rancho, which also bought the Regina outlets a few years ago.

But to elaborate on the original question, the original franchisees were existing restaurants and drive-ins who then added Kentucky Fried Chicken to their menu. Eventually, at KFC Corp.'s encouragement, freestanding KFC stores were built, but they mostly had the local name on the sign in conjunction with the KFC logo. So, Champ's Kentucky Fried Chicken in Winnipeg, Gene's Kentucky Fried Chicken in Regina, Chic's in Moose Jaw, Scott's Chicken Villa in Ontario and Quebec, and so on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #234  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:53 AM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,570
My mistake. I thought KFC had taken 100% ownership of all stores and the same time the took over the Champs locations. My first job was as a cook at a Champs Kentucky Fried Chicken back in 1981. Stayed there through high school and then the better part of a year after graduating.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #235  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 8:26 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,012
Just in City Place food court. There's a sign up for a new Gyro place to open in Fall 2011. Not overly significant except that location has been vacant for at least 5 years (likely far longer). It's always nice to see some new tenants occupying vacant spaces in the downtown malls.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #236  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 1:53 PM
Winnipegger Winnipegger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 837
Hey does anybody know what they are doing to the former Red Lobster building on the north-east corner of Pembina and Bishop Grandin?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #237  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 4:56 PM
trebor204's Avatar
trebor204 trebor204 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 764
According to Shindico
Westoba Credit Union is moving to old Grapes location

http://www.shindico.com/media/com_estateagent/pictures/ea_pembinacrossing_brochure_13002949132.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #238  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 7:59 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
According to Shindico
Westoba Credit Union is moving to old Grapes location

http://www.shindico.com/media/com_estateagent/pictures/ea_pembinacrossing_brochure_13002949132.pdf
Thats disappointing. I was hoping for a new restaurant of some sorts, particularly given that the new stadium is going in at the UoM.

Some before or after meals n snacks...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #239  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 8:33 PM
Winnipegger Winnipegger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
According to Shindico
Westoba Credit Union is moving to old Grapes location

http://www.shindico.com/media/com_estateagent/pictures/ea_pembinacrossing_brochure_13002949132.pdf
How lame. I agree, with the new stadium going up near by, I was hoping for an Olive Garden.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #240  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 8:41 PM
Boreal's Avatar
Boreal Boreal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,704
Pembina Highway used to be home to the two coolest McDonald's I've ever seen. That one with the caboose, or train car or whatever at Pembina and Bishop, and then the log cabin location at Pembina and Dalhousie south.

Anyways... the thread was chain restaurants, and I just thought of it...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.