HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 4:34 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,624
This is awesome...great job! I agree about the Hilton Garden Inn. Just those changes alone could make a huge difference.
__________________
Austin.Texas.USA
Home of the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 1:24 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
You should have a crack at the buildings lining Barton Springs across from the Long Center garage and the Palmer Events Center. Let those NIMBYS up on the hill see what they're missing. I always feel like that stretch should be lined with medium tall(20 stories or so)buildings both office and residential.
Great idea! I will. I'm also working on putting a pro football or baseball stadium somewhere in the area, maybe around the COA, but preferrably closer to DT. And because someone mentioned an all purpose arena DT we may be seeing that. Don't be surprised if an observation tower pops up .I've already started doing a few shorty pics where everything is shorter. I'm looking for photos around the !35 corridor between Airport Blvd and maybe as far north as Braker. I am also looking for unobstructed pics of the 71 / I35 buildings. A structure I want to modify is the water tank on the hill near Parmer and Mopac. I'm getting busy job hunting so this weekend should be a large update before it gets a bit more sporatic so I could use some help locating the pics I need. Just let me know the thread and page and I'll do the rest. I'll be posting a few pics tonight.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:07 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Photo by txalex from this forum modified by the Genral

After looking at other towers similar to my modified height of Frost, I conceded that the crown was too small proportionally, but I think I found a good height that works. On this side by side comparison, the left is the 33 story Frost, and on the right is a 43 story Frost. I chose the 10 story add because after this was built, some of the comments from this forum suggested that it was about 10 floors too short. Now we can see what it would have looked like if it was 10 floors taller. You can decide which one looks better.

Last edited by the Genral; Jul 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:48 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
This is awesome...great job! I agree about the Hilton Garden Inn. Just those changes alone could make a huge difference.
Thanks Mopacs, I am using some of your pics so I'm glad you don't mind.
I editted that pic of the Hilton Garden Inn to include the same upgrade to the Lofts next to it.
I believe its the same owner but I'm not sure, but either way, they both need a facelift.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 4:01 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Photo by Priller from this forum

This is just another what if mod. Does the extra height make the top design look too small or even better? You decide. I always thought this building was a little squatty thanks to city ordinances at the time. So with today's city counsel, would the designer have raised the roof a bit like I did?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 5:09 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
The Lofts next to the HGI is another bldg DT in need of a cosmetic facelift. Other than the arch style windows, this is a very uninteresting building to look at. I think this is another very doable mod. I didn't add height, just the same veneer and paint as the HGI next door. The horizontal lines between the floors could be painted or material bolted on and painted to give an added dimensional feature that would really stand out.


Its a shame the Four Seasons doesn't sit a bit higher in such a prime spot. Take a look at the before and after.



Photos from LoneStarMike from this forum

What??? You never seen a real life lego car before?

I boosted the floor count on this bldg for no other reason than I wanted to see more of it. They could have saved money and flat roofed it, I mean this is a law inforcement purposed structure where pretty doesn't matter in Austin...see APD DT HQ.

Last edited by the Genral; Jul 22, 2011 at 6:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 6:15 AM
migol24 migol24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Francisco, Austin
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Photo by txalexfrim this forum

After looking at other towers similar to my modified height of Frost, I conceded that the crown was too small proportionally, but I think I found a good height that works. On this side by side comparison, the left is the 33 story Frost, and on the right is a 43 story Frost. I chose the 10 story add because after this was built, some of the comments from this forum suggested that it was about 10 floors too short. Now we can see what it would have looked like if it was 10 floors taller. You can decide which one looks better.
wow, a perfect example of why this thread rules. that woulda been one heck of a building if only it were that tall. it would have been the best building in texas, hands down!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 6:33 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Thanks migol24! Woulda coulda shoulda...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 7:13 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,510
Your revised Frost looks great. I also like your enhanced Four Seasons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 8:16 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Your revised Frost looks great. I also like your enhanced Four Seasons.
Thanks austlar, but will you like what's coming next??
SACRILEGE!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:40 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
^Hey, with a taller UT Tower they could do more letters and even words with the lights on in the windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Photo by Priller from this forum

This is just another what if mod. Does the extra height make the top design look too small or even better? You decide. I always thought this building was a little squatty thanks to city ordinances at the time. So with today's city counsel, would the designer have raised the roof a bit like I did?
http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h366/thegenral1/xxprilsend.jpg
I've always thought that building would have looked great taller. Actually, there's a building in Tampa, Florida. It's their tallest building. It's designed by the same architecture firm and looks quite similar. Oddly enough, Tampa has a few buildings that look like our's. The one in Tampa that looks like 100 Congress above, is their tallest building. It's 20 floors taller than 100 Congress and is 579 feet tall. Even it's name, 100 Tampa, is for it's address - a major skyscraper street in that city.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 7:55 PM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Thanks austlar, but will you like what's coming next??
SACRILEGE!

Back in the days before Austin got tall buildings, I always kind of thought of the UT Tower as the official state phallic symbol, especially when it was bathed in orange light. I guess you are just "stretching" things a bit here, kind of like you might see in a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 site, not that I ever visit such sites.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Back in the days before Austin got tall buildings, I always kind of thought of the UT Tower as the official state phallic symbol, especially when it was bathed in orange light. I guess you are just "stretching" things a bit here, kind of like you might see in a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 site, not that I ever visit such sites.
austlar, I only stretched the tower so I could write gig em on it! Where is your mind?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 10:54 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Photo by 427mm from this forum mod by the Genral

I want to examine the area north of the Capitol bdlg since it may be possible that tall construction could take place there in the future. I remember seeing somes plans in the AAS showing diagrams with 20 - 40 story structures, all within a few blocks north of the Capitol bldg.
So this and future mods will kind of give us an idea of how tall bldg height would affect that area.
I'm not suggesting that the buildings I mod here need raising, I'm just using them to allow me to see some height here.


Photo by LoneStarMike modified by the Genral

I like to think that Austin's DT contains 3 parts, UT, Government, Business / Pleasure. In this experiment, we can see how potential tall structures in the Government section would really elongate and enhance the overall skyline. Again, I'm not modifying any of the bldgs for any reason other than to show height in that area.




Photo by Mopacs

Back to the Garden, approach view going south on I35, brighter and more up to date. Easier on the eyes. The garage levels are not as offensive. Oh, and I got rid of that Mobil gas sign. No one on I35 is going to pull off the highway and gas up there because they saw it so get rid of that eyesore!



Photo by Mopacs

I have this hangup about the 800 room Hilton. I never really liked the condos on the top floors. Here's another mod from a different angle and during the day of a what if it was all hotel rooms. I raised the roof on just about everything else for SAG.

Last edited by the Genral; Jul 23, 2011 at 6:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 2:45 AM
BevoLJ's Avatar
BevoLJ BevoLJ is offline
~Hook'em~
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
Posts: 1,814
General, first you were featured in DAB's Blog, and now you are featured in RoA Blog! Grats!

http://republicofaustin.com/super-sized-austin-skyline-2011/

On the UT tower, man that is just wrong on so many levels. lol. Although to be fair, I have seen some photoshops on shaggybevo.com done of your little puppy that were wrong on so many more levels. =P
__________________
Austin, Texas
London, United Kingdom
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 2:52 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
austlar, I only stretched the tower so I could write gig em on it! Where is your mind?
How did I miss that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 3:21 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
General, first you were featured in DAB's Blog, and now you are featured in RoA Blog! Grats!

http://republicofaustin.com/super-sized-austin-skyline-2011/

On the UT tower, man that is just wrong on so many levels. lol. Although to be fair, I have seen some photoshops on shaggybevo.com done of your little puppy that were wrong on so many more levels. =P
Thanks BevoLJ. Thanks Chris (RoA) for the mention on your site.
DAB, now RoA, that's pretty cool
I have to give kudos to KevinFromTX. I racked up a bunch of these pics for my personal collection. I currently have time on my hands and was just playing around seeing how things might have been. I thought most of them looked pretty good and wanted to share them with you guys. Kevin showed me how to post them, and when I had doubts anyone would like them, Kevin encouraged me to run with it and so far its averaging 280 - 300 views per day and got two honorable mentions
This is awesome everyone and there are more mods to come.
Here's to keeping it....unreal!

Last edited by the Genral; Jul 23, 2011 at 5:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 3:40 AM
migol24 migol24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Francisco, Austin
Posts: 1,611
It be interesting to see the Norwood a little taller. It be more interesting to get the photos from the Lou Neff vantage point and make the buildings taller. I know its gonna be some tough work but now that you've got me hooked and I demand them now!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 4:27 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
It be interesting to see the Norwood a little taller. It be more interesting to get the photos from the Lou Neff vantage point and make the buildings taller. I know its gonna be some tough work but now that you've got me hooked and I demand them now!
Yes SIR!! I'll see what I can do
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 4:30 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Photo by 427mm modified by the Genral

Ok, back to my roots. This next one was a guilty pleasure to create . I made an "UP"town".



Photo by 427mm modified by the Genral

One American Center, a tripled tiered highrise featured in the John Trivolta movie "Michael". An Austin landmark, a dominant building walking west on East Sixth Street, who dares mess with this magnificant building? ME!




photo by 427mm modified by the Genral

Last one for tonight,,,,what if we could build as high as we wanted within a 5 or 10 mile radius around the city? We'll explore this more later along with some buildings to the west, but for now, check this out...
I love the 3 buildings at Ben White and I35 in the distance. You know many big cities have tall building outside their DTs, Dallas, Houston, even San Antonio.
We're only there in our minds I guess...


Last edited by the Genral; Jul 23, 2011 at 6:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:42 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.