HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #761  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 8:18 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialisthorde View Post
It is incumbent on you as a driver to know this, so it shouldn't need to be stated, but anywhere a sidewalk ends at a roadside it is a crosswalk, marked or not and the pedestrian legally has right of way (i.e. vehicles are to stop if a pedestrian is on their side of the road).
You'd be surprised how many people don't actually realize this. Yikes!
     
     
  #762  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 8:28 PM
Stewie's Avatar
Stewie Stewie is offline
You are here: X
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 129
Nice progress Saskatoon!

I've since moved to Castlegar in 2008 but regularly make it back to Saskatoon to visit friends and family. Thanks to all of you for keeping me up to date on this forum!
     
     
  #763  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 9:39 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,536
The City has recently issued an RFP for neighbourhood commercial to be built around the Village Square in Willowgrove:
http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Comm...rove/Willowgrove_Commercial_RFP_2011.pdf
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #764  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 10:13 PM
Arts Arts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 584
pedestrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
You'd be surprised how many people don't actually realize this. Yikes!
Where I learned to drive (BC about 20 years ago) the blanket rule was "pedestrians always have the right of way" but I was never taught anything about "unmarked crosswalks". I occasionally brush up on the rulebook and see that the BC one does now make mention of unmarked crossings and where to stop etc. Anyways I now know, and have already educated a few people who also never realized it. In hindsight there probably have been pedestrians I didn't stop for where I should have, and probably muttered to myself "use the crosswalk!".

That being said, to stop for a pedestrian on 22nd, the way it is now, probably has a great likelihood of causing a rear-end pile up.
     
     
  #765  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 5:13 AM
Ruckus's Avatar
Ruckus Ruckus is offline
working stiff
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Woodlawn Cemetery
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The City has recently issued an RFP for neighbourhood commercial to be built around the Village Square in Willowgrove:
http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Comm...rove/Willowgrove_Commercial_RFP_2011.pdf
This will be one to watch. Could be a model for some older established neighborhoods too.
     
     
  #766  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:26 PM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The City has recently issued an RFP for neighbourhood commercial to be built around the Village Square in Willowgrove:
http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Comm...rove/Willowgrove_Commercial_RFP_2011.pdf
Yes, lets hope this works out as intended. There are pretty stringent requirements for the developer. If the city is able to pull this off, they might not be so shy about demanding more from developers in the future, and we will get less 🞵🞵🞵🞵 like the new Holiday Inn.

I'm not sure what I think about such strict requirements for the appearance though (e.g. must have red brick) as that can end up looking like lipstick on a pig. I have visions of a Remai built plastic sided box with tiny windows framed in faux red brick <shiver>.
     
     
  #767  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:59 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,536
This is hilarious!

Fences make good neighbours

By Ed Scissons, The StarPhoenix July 22, 2011

Quote:
Scissions is a Saskatoon resident.

The proposal by the city's traffic safety committee to construct an eight-foot "safety barrier" along a 20-block segment of 22nd Street has yet to be debated at council, although it has already drawn a good measure of discussion and comment on coffee row and in academic halls.

These conversations have, quite unfairly I think, focused on the potentially adverse effects of such a fence while failing to consider the real advantages that such an undertaking could net for our city.

? There has always been a range of opinion in Saskatoon as to which geographic area constitutes "The Hood." Such differences will be settled once and for all with the construction of this new rampart.

? Pedestrians are a real nuisance on Autobahn 22. Herding them into select regions along the thoroughfare will allow for an unencumbered flow of higher speed vehicles, while at the same time providing great sport when individuals manage to make it over the fence and are ensnared on the track.

? Residents of Pleasant Hill and adjacent neighbourhoods are frequently under-represented on the podiums at track and field events. With the construction of this two-kilometre practice field we might expect a new generation of champions, particularly in high jump.
Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entertainm...ghbours/5141729/story.html#ixzz1SqXWS3K4
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #768  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 2:17 AM
EarlyByrdProductions's Avatar
EarlyByrdProductions EarlyByrdProductions is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The S'toon & Marsella, Nicaragua
Posts: 285
Cathedral

I was at a BBQ over the far north side of WhiteSwan, amazing drive that Spadina, and noticed the beautiful new peak of the Cathedral raising up on the other side of the river. Any one have any pics of the progress?
__________________
www.viyarte.com
     
     
  #769  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 2:40 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 891
     
     
  #770  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:44 PM
shmakim shmakim is offline
Burb Dweller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialisthorde View Post
I have visions of a Remai built plastic sided box with tiny windows framed in faux red brick <shiver>.
I spit my coffee laughing at this. Here's hoping they can break their own mold with the development at the top of the univ bridge.
     
     
  #771  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 3:30 PM
taguy taguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21
New Cams

FYI... Two new cameras are up on the circledrive.ca website.

http://www.circledrive.ca/
     
     
  #772  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:02 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,536
A blog post by Sean Shaw on the incredibly ugly Holiday Inn and much needed urban design controls:
http://www.blog.seanshaw.ca/?p=1152
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #773  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 11:07 PM
Larch Larch is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 91
third ave improvements

just wanted to pop in to add a quick observation:
biking south down 3rd ave is now like a 🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵!

at least compared to the other day(s), when my teeth nearly chattered out of my face...
     
     
  #774  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:01 AM
EarlyByrdProductions's Avatar
EarlyByrdProductions EarlyByrdProductions is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The S'toon & Marsella, Nicaragua
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
A blog post by Sean Shaw on the incredibly ugly Holiday Inn and much needed urban design controls:
http://www.blog.seanshaw.ca/?p=1152
Thank You!
So terrible.
...and I love how on their big sign they even brag about it being some sort of Saskatoon custom design.
I wish more private industries would be inclined to do something about the big blank walls...paint them! Put up a mural or designed canvass over them.
Contribute to your city dammit!
__________________
www.viyarte.com
     
     
  #775  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:45 AM
skSK's Avatar
skSK skSK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 223
I finally checked out the master plans for the cycling-pedestrian corridor on 33rd, and I have to say that I find it very impressive! I think this is a great idea that will help enliven the street and adjacent areas. I used to travel that area frequently (I worked at HBAC) and it was always dreary. The few times I biked to HBAC, I remember using the sidewalk and fearing for my life, certain that a large truck would come out of the approaches without seeing me, not to mention the intersection at 33rd and 3rd. I'm glad to see that this is happening. Here's the link if anyone may have missed it: http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Infr...s/33rdStMulti-UseCorridorMasterPlan.aspx

Although some have said that the linking of the university and SIAST campuses seems too small a benefit regarding cost of the project, I see this as a vital link and an encouraging investment into our cycling network. Also, the strip of small businesses along 33rd could benefit, if not from increased pedestrian traffic then perhaps from a multiplier effect of money spent in the area on quality urban design. I'm also glad to see this happening because it has symbolic value as an early boundary of the city (Avenue P, Taylor Street, and Clarence were the others), and I think the corridor could be marked with plaques noting this and other historical points.

Finally, and this is just a personal thing, I think the CP bridge should be decked out in lights. NOT the recycled Traffic Bridge lights... I'm thinking more like the floodlight-like LED lights on the Langevin Bridge in Calgary; something that shows off the trusses. I think it's a gorgeous bridge and the right lighting at night would set it off brilliantly.

I didn't mean this post to end as a love letter to the CP bridge, but things happen.
     
     
  #776  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 2:33 PM
Wyku Wyku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by taguy View Post
FYI... Two new cameras are up on the circledrive.ca website.

http://www.circledrive.ca/
FINALLY! Look at all that action we've been missing out on! Things are really coming along.
     
     
  #777  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:06 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,536
Transit a conundrum for city

By Gerry Klein, The StarPhoenix July 28, 2011

Quote:
Transit accounts for about nine per cent of Saskatoon's operating budget, yet it is being targeted for almost one-third of the cuts initially proposed in the city's service review.

This isn't surprising. Although transit services are crucial for some Saskatoon residents, most commuters drive their own vehicle to work and are much more concerned about potholes and overpasses than having the buses run on time.

By necessity politicians typically focus their attention on the wishes of the largest bloc of voters, so transit is often becomes an easy target for cuts.

At a time when governments are looking to reduce tax increases, it's tough to justify putting more money into a service used by a minority of people.

A city that's growing as fast as Saskatoon faces a Catch-22 when it comes to providing transit service.

To add bus service to a new neighbourhood that is not yet fully developed seems a waste.

There aren't enough homeowners to make up the tax base to pay for the service, And, at best, there are only a few users.

But if the city isn't providing bus service, those people who incrementally fill the neighbourhood will not be able to depend on transit.

[....]
Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Transit+conundrum+city/5170785/story.html#ixzz1TPtMCAes
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #778  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:47 PM
Morogolus Morogolus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
FINALLY! Look at all that action we've been missing out on! Things are really coming along.
Boy that "coming soon." was a pretty long time!
__________________
http://thebryceisright.net
     
     
  #779  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 8:15 PM
kgc087's Avatar
kgc087 kgc087 is offline
Urban Dreamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,128
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/07/20/saskatoon-the-fastest-growing-city-in-canada/

I think we all knew this but here is some confirmation!
__________________
Just be.
     
     
  #780  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 5:19 AM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc087 View Post
And the momentum Saskatoon saw last year in population growth has continued into 2011.

According to CIBC World Markets, Saskatoon had the highest rate of population growth among all major cities in Canada as of Q1 2011.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.