Quote:
Originally Posted by racc
There is overwhelming scientific evidence that pedestrian fatalities rise dramatically in collisions with motor vehicles at speeds over 30km/h. http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/muarc276.pdf It is simply not responsible to have speeds higher than that in areas where there are pedestrians around. To suggest otherwise is arguing against the laws of physics.
|
I agree with you that more pedestrian FATALITIES will technically happen as speeds go up (physics) but is that the fault of the motorist? The VPD say straight out statistically the bulk of pedestrians get HIT because of their own stupidity. So while reducing the speed may make those HITs less fatal, it won't reduce the amount of people HIT.
I also don't see why we need to punish drivers yet again for stupid people. I actually look at it the opposite. I like when pedestrian fatalities rise because it means Darwin is winning again and our population gene pool is just 1 person cleaner. There isn't a time I'm downtown where a bus doesn't have to slam on the brakes and honk its horn because some idiot or several idiots decided to start crossing on a red light or in the middle of a block without looking. I actually feel the opposite happens.
The higher the speed of traffic, the less likely a pedestrian is going to be stupid and run out into traffic. If everyone was driving 15 km/hr people would be walking where ever they want because the consequences would be really low. If everyone is traveling 80 km/hr do you think people would be just jumping out at red lights? Or do you think most people would "wow 🞵🞵🞵🞵 people drive fast I better REALLY LOOK before I step off the curb."
Obviously there is a balance of safety for cars too so 50 km/hr in downtown Vancouver makes sense. But 30 on hastings? 50 on Oak Street? It's ridiculous. Even 60 on stretches of KGB are stupid imo.