HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #721  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 4:29 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,537
Not construction news, but city councillor Maurice Neault has died unexpectedly. My condolences go out to his family and friends. Haven't heard of the cause of death.

Looks like Saskatoon will be facing its third by-election in a year. The face of Council will change again before next year's election
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #722  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 7:50 PM
gowest gowest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Not construction news, but city councillor Maurice Neault has died unexpectedly. My condolences go out to his family and friends. Haven't heard of the cause of death.

Looks like Saskatoon will be facing its third by-election in a year. The face of Council will change again before next year's election
This will be a great loss to the City and in particular the west end. He was the push behind the Blairmore area. Ask him a question and you always got an answer. Mo was not only a great person, but one who took great pride in the City and it's people. He always called it the way he saw it. My condolences to the family.
     
     
  #723  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 5:59 AM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Pace of Saskatoon residential construction is impressive

Has anyone else noticed how dominant Saskatoon has become in Saskatchewan when it comes to residential housing starts? According to CMHC, 59% of all housing starts in the province from Jan-June 2011 happened in Saskatoon. That's pretty incredible for a city that accounts for 30% of the provincial population. Why have no media outlets picked up on this phenomenon? I realize that people are flocking to Saskatoon at a good clip (i.e., Saskatoon is the fastest growing city in Canada), but is Regina not growing at a decent pace, too? Regina, by contrast, accounted for only 28% of Saskatchewan's total housing starts from Jan-June 2011. As it stands now, for every one housing start in Regina, there are two housing starts in Saskatoon. (Though I did see a StatsCan report recently that indicated that for every immigrant that settles in Regina, nearly two immigrants settle in Saskatoon. So, maybe the housing start numbers begin to make more sense from that perspective.)
     
     
  #724  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 7:02 AM
EarlyByrdProductions's Avatar
EarlyByrdProductions EarlyByrdProductions is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The S'toon & Marsella, Nicaragua
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Has anyone else noticed how dominant Saskatoon has become in Saskatchewan when it comes to residential housing starts? According to CMHC, 59% of all housing starts in the province from Jan-June 2011 happened in Saskatoon. That's pretty incredible for a city that accounts for 30% of the provincial population. Why have no media outlets picked up on this phenomenon? I realize that people are flocking to Saskatoon at a good clip (i.e., Saskatoon is the fastest growing city in Canada), but is Regina not growing at a decent pace, too? Regina, by contrast, accounted for only 28% of Saskatchewan's total housing starts from Jan-June 2011. As it stands now, for every one housing start in Regina, there are two housing starts in Saskatoon. (Though I did see a StatsCan report recently that indicated that for every immigrant that settles in Regina, nearly two immigrants settle in Saskatoon. So, maybe the housing start numbers begin to make more sense from that perspective.)
Yeah, I can't wait to be the next Calgary
__________________
www.viyarte.com
     
     
  #725  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 2:42 PM
mike474's Avatar
mike474 mike474 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Has anyone else noticed how dominant Saskatoon has become in Saskatchewan when it comes to residential housing starts? According to CMHC, 59% of all housing starts in the province from Jan-June 2011 happened in Saskatoon. That's pretty incredible for a city that accounts for 30% of the provincial population. Why have no media outlets picked up on this phenomenon? I realize that people are flocking to Saskatoon at a good clip (i.e., Saskatoon is the fastest growing city in Canada), but is Regina not growing at a decent pace, too? Regina, by contrast, accounted for only 28% of Saskatchewan's total housing starts from Jan-June 2011. As it stands now, for every one housing start in Regina, there are two housing starts in Saskatoon. (Though I did see a StatsCan report recently that indicated that for every immigrant that settles in Regina, nearly two immigrants settle in Saskatoon. So, maybe the housing start numbers begin to make more sense from that perspective.)
I'd trade an ugly subdivision for a Mosaic Tower any day
     
     
  #726  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 3:37 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Has anyone else noticed how dominant Saskatoon has become in Saskatchewan when it comes to residential housing starts? According to CMHC, 59% of all housing starts in the province from Jan-June 2011 happened in Saskatoon. That's pretty incredible for a city that accounts for 30% of the provincial population. Why have no media outlets picked up on this phenomenon? I realize that people are flocking to Saskatoon at a good clip (i.e., Saskatoon is the fastest growing city in Canada), but is Regina not growing at a decent pace, too? Regina, by contrast, accounted for only 28% of Saskatchewan's total housing starts from Jan-June 2011. As it stands now, for every one housing start in Regina, there are two housing starts in Saskatoon. (Though I did see a StatsCan report recently that indicated that for every immigrant that settles in Regina, nearly two immigrants settle in Saskatoon. So, maybe the housing start numbers begin to make more sense from that perspective.)
This is nothing new. Both cities are booming. Saskatoon is bigger and is continuing to grow faster as it has for 40+ years
http://www.globalsaskatoon.com/Saskatoon+opening+significant+population+Regina/4227403/story.html
     
     
  #727  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 3:40 AM
kgc087's Avatar
kgc087 kgc087 is offline
Urban Dreamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,128
population

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Comm.../Pages/PopulationEstimateProjection.aspx

new population stat

http://www.saskatoon.ca/QUICK%20FACTS/Pages/Quick%20Facts.aspx

end 2010 population stat

Growing by 7600 people in 6 months is HUGE! Way to go Saskatoon!
__________________
Just be.
     
     
  #728  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 2:06 AM
dsim249's Avatar
dsim249 dsim249 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 946
The crane was installed today for the River Centre. I had no idea they were progressing so quickly.
     
     
  #729  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 6:11 AM
skSK's Avatar
skSK skSK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 223
Hey all! I am fairly new to the site; it quickly became a favourite. Anyway, I've been looking for renders of the Meridian office development adjoining the Modern Press building. I don't think I've seen one yet...

While I was searching their website, I found an image of the rendering for the new Affinity Credit Union head office (aka the old Wilson School/FNUC building). I don't think this has been posted, but I could be wrong.



http://www.meridiandevelopment.ca/ACU/page_2454626.html

Any info on the Modern Press development would be appreciated!
     
     
  #730  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 5:21 PM
EarlyByrdProductions's Avatar
EarlyByrdProductions EarlyByrdProductions is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The S'toon & Marsella, Nicaragua
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by skSK View Post
Hey all! I am fairly new to the site; it quickly became a favourite. Anyway, I've been looking for renders of the Meridian office development adjoining the Modern Press building. I don't think I've seen one yet...

While I was searching their website, I found an image of the rendering for the new Affinity Credit Union head office (aka the old Wilson School/FNUC building). I don't think this has been posted, but I could be wrong.



http://www.meridiandevelopment.ca/ACU/page_2454626.html

Any info on the Modern Press development would be appreciated!
Wow. That looks pretty cool.

And if anyone hasn't been out to Wakeride yet, it is in Victoria Park this year, by the Skatepark. Our cities most beautiful and under utilized park.
The new Riverlanding development and walkway to the 'westside' is really simple way of breaking down boundaries making it easy for people to cross over.
The old Waterhouse area had a DJ and MC put on top with a mini beer gardens on the front ring along the water. Our city looks great when so many people come out along there! ...considering most of the volunteers and audience we have dealt with had never even heard of Victoria Park and been down to the new River Landing.
Hopefully we will see the area being utilized like this more often!
Come check it out today!
__________________
www.viyarte.com
     
     
  #731  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 9:52 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyByrdProductions View Post
Yeah, I can't wait to be the next Calgary
You're right. It would be much better to be the next Windsor.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
     
     
  #732  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 9:53 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike474 View Post
I'd trade an ugly subdivision for a Mosaic Tower any day
Regina is fortunate. It gets Mosaic Tower and ugly subdivisions.
     
     
  #733  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 10:00 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc087 View Post
http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Comm.../Pages/PopulationEstimateProjection.aspx

new population stat

http://www.saskatoon.ca/QUICK%20FACTS/Pages/Quick%20Facts.aspx

end 2010 population stat

Growing by 7600 people in 6 months is HUGE! Way to go Saskatoon!
Thanks for the population update, KGC.

So, Saskatoon grew, on average, by 41 people A DAY between January and June 2011.

Not bad.

I am confident that we will see several towers built in downtown Saskatoon over the next decade. "Big city" types of development downtown should, logically, follow big city population growth rates.
     
     
  #734  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by skSK View Post
Hey all! I am fairly new to the site; it quickly became a favourite. Anyway, I've been looking for renders of the Meridian office development adjoining the Modern Press building. I don't think I've seen one yet...

While I was searching their website, I found an image of the rendering for the new Affinity Credit Union head office (aka the old Wilson School/FNUC building). I don't think this has been posted, but I could be wrong.



http://www.meridiandevelopment.ca/ACU/page_2454626.html

Any info on the Modern Press development would be appreciated!
Good find, skSK. (And welcome to the forum, btw!)

I quite like the look of this rendering. A nice melding of the historic and contemporary.

Does anyone know what is going to happen with Affinity's current head office at the corner of 22nd St and 1st Ave? Are they moving all of their head office operations to their new location on 7th Ave?
     
     
  #735  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 10:09 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Some movement at Parcel Y

An excavation company was doing work at Parcel Y on Friday, July 15th. A digger (excavator) and several dump trucks were clearing and hauling away larges piles of dirt from the property. A bulldozer was also on site. Perhaps this is preparation for the temporary parking lot that is to go on the property before construction of River Landing Village begins?
     
     
  #736  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 10:21 PM
dsim249's Avatar
dsim249 dsim249 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 946
^ I don't think RLV should be brought up unless it's something to do with the actual construction of RLV.
It pains me to think of it as a temporary parking lot.
     
     
  #737  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 5:20 AM
kgc087's Avatar
kgc087 kgc087 is offline
Urban Dreamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,128
So not really construction related but today I spent part of the afternoon at the Marr Residence with Charles Olfert discussing urban planning and heritage in Saskatoon with him and a few other architects and spectators. It was most fascinating!
__________________
Just be.
     
     
  #738  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 6:01 AM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
^ I don't think RLV should be brought up unless it's something to do with the actual construction of RLV.
It pains me to think of it as a temporary parking lot.
Agreed! Good point, dsim.

(I see that there already is an Impark established on Parcel Y closer to the Traffic Bridge, so here's hoping the moving of the dirt on Parcel Y adjacent to 2nd Ave South is a precursor of more near-term activity to come on Parcel Y.)
     
     
  #739  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 2:20 PM
Crisis's Avatar
Crisis Crisis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Agreed! Good point, dsim.

(I see that there already is an Impark established on Parcel Y closer to the Traffic Bridge, so here's hoping the moving of the dirt on Parcel Y adjacent to 2nd Ave South is a precursor of more near-term activity to come on Parcel Y.)
I believe that the activity there is a sign that the west portion of Parcel Y is going to be used as a staging area for the Tonko building across the street. Just a guess based on what I saw there on Sunday.
     
     
  #740  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 2:23 PM
Wyku Wyku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyByrdProductions View Post
And if anyone hasn't been out to Wakeride yet, it is in Victoria Park this year, by the Skatepark. Our cities most beautiful and under utilized park.
The new Riverlanding development and walkway to the 'westside' is really simple way of breaking down boundaries making it easy for people to cross over.
The old Waterhouse area had a DJ and MC put on top with a mini beer gardens on the front ring along the water. Our city looks great when so many people come out along there! ...considering most of the volunteers and audience we have dealt with had never even heard of Victoria Park and been down to the new River Landing.
Hopefully we will see the area being utilized like this more often!
Come check it out today!
Agreed, it was good to see so many people over in that area. It was a let down having the walkway area on that side STILL incomplete though with tattered fencing up everywhere on the upper bank. If you started at the pumphouse area/farmer's market area you had to walk all the way down the street and walk into the park before you could get down to the river landing trail, or visa versa if you were on the trail and wanted to get up to the farmer's market. That whole upper area is kind of dissapointing with all of the cobblestone streets and lighting ready and looking great with nothing but weedy dirt lots and decrepit fencing up everywhere .
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.