HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 12:04 AM

Kelowna, British Columbia

Kelowna is the third largest Metro area in the Province of British Columbia, with a population estimated around 170 000 currently.

Kelowna is located in the Okanagan valley, often referred to as Napa north locally, due to its semi-arid climate (only 12 inches of rain a year), hot summers, numerous vineyards / orchards, and the presence of many great basin species that are at or near their northern extent (antelope brush, sagebrush, cactus, rattlesnakes, bull snakes, rubber boa, ponderosa pine, etc...). Kelwona is actually the wettest part of the Okanagan valley, which is very dry to the south and north of the city.

Kelowna has recently been focussing hard on proper urban development in the downtown core. Several new condo towers have been added over the past 5 years and there are several more proposed (along with an 18 floor office tower that is now u/c in mid town). While there is still a lot of work to be done to reach this goal, Kelowna is a fun city that has something to offer to all walks of life, from amazing hikes in the local parks and hills, to a surprisingly active night life, to the countless summer beach / water activities along to the lake, to wine tours, to visiting such historical areas as the Kettle Valley railroad.

I took these pics just a few days ago as I was staying up there with a few friends, enjoy!

We will start with a few shots of downtown Kelowna from Knox Mountain, a beautiful provincial park directly west of downtown (and easily accessible)

As one continues to walk through the park you are treated to beautiful grassland / ponderosa pine landscapes.

Then, as the trail wraps around the west side of the mountain, there are even ore views to behold. About 2 km from here the trail ends at a wonderful swimming spot called Paul's Tomb."

Later the same day I went to a local winery for some wine tasting, always a fun activity, and again, the setting is not what one would expect from Canada!

Of course house boating is a major attraction in Kelowna during the summer months.

Downtown is a very fun place to be, with a very relaxing lake shore walk and many nice local stores. (PS - That is Knox Mountain in the background)

A couple new condos creating a new street wall downtown.

A big surprise here, but nestled away downtown beside city hall is a very lovely Japanese garden.

High up in the hills to the east of the city is the famous historical Kettle Valley Railway, which has now been turned into a very popular cycling trail. One crosses over 18 trestles and travels through several tunnels along the Kelowna portion alone!

As you may have noticed this entire area was burned by a natural forest fire in 2003 (many of these trestles were re-built after they burned down) This picture is taken from the trail, looking down into the valley. You can see the downtown towers if you look hard.

If anyone here is planning to come to Canada, be sure to visit BC in the summer, not only is there Vancouver, Victoria, the mountains, etc... but the Okanagan Valley has many attractions to offer, and is indeed my favorite place in Canada!

All pics are my own: My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3063463...th/5925647202/

Cheers!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 12:16 AM
be nice to the crackheads

We used to cliff dive off Paul's Tomb. Paul, for which the area is named after, died cliff-diving. We weren't the smartest young 'uns.

Nice pictures of Kelowna, Metro. The two new office buildings and the proposed condo towers will definitely add to the skyline. I'm looking forward to the end result.

Did you happen to make your way to the Mission District? It's where I grew up, and has changed in a big way (for the better) along Lakeshore Drive.

Just a quick correction; Kelowna's metro population was 183,000 in 2008, so it would probably be close to 200,000 now.

Last edited by giallo; Jul 12, 2011 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 12:23 AM
In the mood for lasagne!

Very pretty!!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 1:25 AM

Awesome shots. Was just out in Pentiction for a week over the Canada Day long weekend. Love the Okanagan. Was 32+ a few days. Drove down to Osoyoos which is desert like. Might be back for Peachfest. Checked out the Carls Jr. in Kelowna.. hehe, its like a more expensive Burger King. Kelowna just keeps growing so much, its very lively, and the downtown is great. Was in Kelowna last Canada Day too for the fireworks, they were great.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 1:28 AM
not a NIMBY

What a great place! I enjoyed the thread.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 1:33 AM

Beautiful setting for a city!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 5:55 AM
Paradise Island

What a gorgeous place! It looks peaceful.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 10:45 AM

I must say the city looks ingredible! I would love to visit there some day..

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 1:39 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful landscape and city.

Thank for sharing them.

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 2:16 PM

Looks like a nice place to spend a relaxing yet enjoyable summer holiday.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 3:05 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1999

It looks quite comfortable.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 8:13 PM

What a great looking place. It definitely warrants a visit. Nice photos, thanks!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 9:09 PM
Future God

Damned west coast...why do you always have to be so freaking beautiful!?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Damned west coast...why do you always have to be so freaking beautiful!?
Hehe, its the interior of BC, not the coast.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 3:27 AM

How cold does it get during the winter??

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 3:39 AM

January is the coldest month, in the city area the average high is +1 Degrees C with an average low of -5 degrees C.

At the airport, which is about 10 km east of downtown, the average January high is 0 with an average low of -7.

So not bad compared to most places in Canada.

Winter is relatively short most years, spring often arrives at the end of February and fall ends at the start of December.

Thanks for all the comments guys! If coming to BC it is well worth the visit, the entire Okanagan Valley is amazing (May to October is when you should come).

And Giallo, I did not go through Mission this time, although I have heard of many improvements / projects occurring there as well.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 7:01 AM
Sebastian

very pleasing to the eye indeed. i do kinda miss looking out my bedroom window at the lake and mountains.
having lived there for almost all of my life i understand the appeal, but i must say i am thrilled to have left.

lovely photos. hope the city treated you well!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 7:13 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Hehe, its the interior of BC, not the coast.
I know...but relative to where I am, it's the west coast. haha

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I lived in Kelowna for a year (1994-1995). Wonderful place in the summer. In the winter, rather boring, but superb skiing (Big White, Apex, Silver Star).
Lovely photos. Downtown has most certainly improved over the years.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 4:03 PM

Nice pictures

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos