Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer
I live about 3kms from Canyon Meadows Station. When the weather is nice I ride my bike. During the summer months the bike rack is packed with bikes  . This is a great sign!
To encourage more bike trips to LRT stations I would recommend:
1. Build more bike lockers.
2. Give cyclists the choice of renting a locker for the day or renting lockers for six months at a time which is the current protocol.
3. Build more bike racks. (obvious)
4. Create easy access for bikes to get to the station and the platform. (Obvious)
I want to do more winter biking this year. Last year I packed it in during the first heavy snowfall. 
|
I would say the biggest factor why people discontinue biking is snow and not cold weather. I guess I'm used to winter sports like hockey and skiing so the temperature isn't the biggest factor and I still want to be physically active in the winter.
The proposed cycling route snow removal is proposed to go from 157 km to 300 km.
The current list of pathway routes that are plowed are here with priority 1's scheduled for clearing within 24 hours and priority 2's for clearing within 72 hours:
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/g...ys/Calgary+pathway+snow+clearing.htm#bow
I am looking at doing my first year of winter biking this year...
I like the idea of a day rental bike locker because when I started biking it was only once a week, and then I kept on finding new reasons to use it. As I became more comfortable with riding routinely, I went from using a free bike parking space which was crowded to paying for a better one. I think the same is true for bike parking, people would try it out, and then once getting used to it would be willing to lockin for a longer term. I know I had looked at this before, and I thought that six months was too long a period to commit to for just testing something out. The other thing was the location and hours of service to get a bike locker from Calgary Transit were inconvenient.
WHat is Canyon Meadows station like for bike parking (location, availability and security) and accessibility?
Also, found this video from CT on allowing folding bikes on buses and LRT:
• Video Link