Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker
Until we have a model that shows what peak hour demand would be, I wouldn't want to constrain the 2nd St subway line. Also, I would be concerned about running full length LRT trains up and down 17th Ave SE, I doubt ridership would be high enough to justify big trains, whether the scale would be appropriate to the urban design, and running 2 car trains to keep frequency acceptable while SE riders cram onto trains wouldn't be tenable.
I would be perfectly ok with a forced transfer onto a smaller scale system somewhere in Inglewood for 17th Ave SE service, not everything needs to be one size fits all.
|
Good point. I agree about running full length LRTS up 17th Avenue, but we could do something similar to the MUNI/BART in San Francisco and run 5 car trains for the SE/NC LRT along with 2 car 17th Ave/West (whatever that would be) trains on the same ROW (or 3 cars vs 1 car depending on the design and capacity of the train technology). The SE/NC trains would be more frequent and longer, while the 17th/West trains would be less frequent and shorter.
Of course we would have to have a study done to determine peak headway demand before we start overloading the 2nd street subway, but due to the lower ridership that the 17th/west trains would require the impact on the SE/NC headways would be minimal in my estimation. It also allows for a street running, better integrated 17th Avenue ROW, which would be cheaper, without having to pay for a separte ROW through the downtown. The headways on 17th avenue would be already constrained (as it would be street running) so I don't see much of an impact on the SE line.
My rough calculation (which is probably grossly over-simplified) is that with 3 car trains (based on the Dublin Alstom Citadis, which would be ~120m long), you would have a crush load of about 300 per car- or 900 per train (300 or 600 per train for the 1- or 2-car consists for 17th avenue SE). With headways of 2 minutes (roughly what you get on 7th avenue, and that is running on street- I think between the NE and S we have 35 cars per hour) that is a rough peak passenger per direction per hour of 27K with just the SE. If you ran let's say 25 trains for the SE, and 10 trains (2 car consists) for 17th that would be 22.5K for the SE and 6K for 17th avenue. You could increase this to four car trains for the SE (160m long, 1200 person capacity) which would bring the person/direction/hour to 30K. That seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't know though. Thoughts?