Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG
yeah there was also a riot last year after i think it was the nba final or some sports final - i think it was in oakland or LA
the news ran a bunch of footage of recent sports riots and they happen a couple times a year somewhere in the world it seems
|
Yeah, but I thought we liked to call ourselves the best place on earth, not the most bellow average place on earth.
If we want to think of ourselves as one of the most livable cities in the world shouldn't the people here be expected to rise above the lowest common denominator in other cities. Also, other cities have had riots over issues that mattered, like people's rights and freedoms, but here we riot over a sporting event.
Sure, riots happen elsewhere, but I would like to think Vancouver is a better city than say, Manchester. That's the black eye we got, we aren't a great city, we are an average city in the eyes of the world.
It's like saying other husbands beat their wives, so if I beat mine it just means I'm common and normal instead of criminal and a tragedy; "hey, it happens".