HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• New York Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #14121  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 12:39 PM
Kanto's Avatar
Kanto Kanto is offline
Twin Towers crusader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
maybe you should just let it go... your starting to sound like kanto trying to search for the highly-improbable-but-possible solutions of something you want... the vent really isn't gonna look that bad and no one's seeing it 95% of the time anyway. And why wouldn't the window washers mind? why would they want to do extra work for normal pay?
Man, looks like I'm famous ........ now I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing
__________________
America and New York deserve to have twin towers again! I am boldly resisting the twin towers taboo enforcers - a.k.a. the bullies who harass folks on this forum just because they have different opinions than these bullies do!
Recipe for the best syrup in the world:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191318
     
     
  #14122  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 5:39 PM
toren1776 toren1776 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8
I think I can't stress this enough but from all the photos that have been taken of 1 WTC with the Brooklyn Bridge on the past few pages it is evident how much the Beekman Tower (New York by Gehry) dominates and will continue to dominate 1 WTC from Brooklyn. Jersey City is really the only decent vantage point from which views of the tower will be unhampered by 8 Spruce.
     
     
  #14123  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 5:44 PM
599GTO 599GTO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by toren1776 View Post
I think I can't stress this enough but from all the photos that have been taken of 1 WTC with the Brooklyn Bridge on the past few pages it is evident how much the Beekman Tower (New York by Gehry) dominates and will continue to dominate 1 WTC from Brooklyn. Jersey City is really the only decent vantage point from which views of the tower will be unhampered by 8 Spruce.
Is there a problem with that?

Quite frankly, I hope more (beautiful) monster buildings are put up in the area until WTC is completely dominated. I LOVE the new WTC but Lower Manhattan can never have enough skyscrapers.

And on a side point...I wonder if anyone will ever put up a building taller than 1WTC in Downtown Manhattan? I really do hope so...

Last edited by 599GTO; Jun 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM.
     
     
  #14124  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 5:49 PM
Tall guy 31 Tall guy 31 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 109
Seems all the webcams are stuck with images from last week. Damn, I'm hooked to this site. I visit it 2 or 3 times a day to see if any new progress is updated. I keep hoping I would blink my eyes and see the tower finished & topped off. No such luck, eh???
     
     
  #14125  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 6:03 PM
sterlippo1 sterlippo1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Is there a problem with that?

Quite frankly, I hope more (beautiful) monster buildings are put up in the area until WTC is completely dominated. I LOVE the new WTC but Lower Manhattan can never have enough skyscrapers.

And on a side point...I wonder if anyone will ever put up a building taller than WTC in Downtown Manhattan? I really do hope so...
i couldn't have said it any better than that. i am in complete agreement and i LOVE 1WTC but there can't be enough of 'em that tall
     
     
  #14126  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 8:08 PM
animatedmartian's Avatar
animatedmartian animatedmartian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,054
I'm less than optimistic about that. Just looking at the 15 Penn Plaza and ESB situation makes me think WTC would be treated the same way. Then again that's just my cynicism talking knowing WTC and ESB are completely different in a lot of ways.
     
     
  #14127  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 8:15 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
ESB is in a complete other league than WTC when it comes to being an icon. The view of WTC doesn't really need to be preserved, especially since the view from Jersey will always be there. Its not like WFC is gonna get knocked down any time soon.


If any building dominated WTC it should be the Beekman. That and the Woolworth are my two favorite NYC skyscrapers.
     
     
  #14128  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 8:26 PM
sterlippo1 sterlippo1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I'm less than optimistic about that. Just looking at the 15 Penn Plaza and ESB situation makes me think WTC would be treated the same way. Then again that's just my cynicism talking knowing WTC and ESB are completely different in a lot of ways.
oh, i'm not optimistic about it at all but only agreeing that more supertalls would be to my liking
     
     
  #14129  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 9:28 PM
Fishman92 Fishman92 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 236
wow, the PA cam is down... same image for the past 2 hours :O. I wanna see the steel !
     
     
  #14130  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 10:12 PM
Matt's Avatar
Matt Matt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New York, NY / Denver, CO
Posts: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
And on a side point...I wonder if anyone will ever put up a building taller than 1WTC in Downtown Manhattan? I really do hope so...
Highly doubtful... I've always had a concern, and I'm pretty sure it will ring true in the future, is that the symbolism of the 1,776' height of the "Freedom Tower" will establish some sort of "gentleman's agreement" and impose an unofficial height limit on lower Manhattan; indeed, all of New York City.

Besides, there is only 220' of wiggle room you can build above the tip of 1 WTC before you reach 2,000' and need an act of Congress to lift the national height limit. That in itself is highly unlikely, especially for a private development like an office/hotel/residential structure.
__________________
This space intentionally left blank
     
     
  #14131  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 10:23 PM
uaarkson's Avatar
uaarkson uaarkson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Back in Flint
Posts: 2,103
The "national height limit" is a myth. Structures taller than 2000 ft. need special approval from the FAA, not an "act of congress."

As far as the gentleman's agreement goes, forget about it. As soon as building taller than 1WTC is profitable, you'll see 2000 ft. towers in Manhattan. Did you forget what kind of people operate down there?
     
     
  #14132  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 11:04 PM
599GTO 599GTO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 878
1WTC and ESB aren't comparable.

Empire State Building is a true global icon from a different era, and that style of tower, much like the Chrysler Building ,can never be replicated. As handsome as 1 WTC is, it is simply a tall glass tower that can easily be outdone by a taller more innovative more shiny glass tower.

Something like London's Shard with a pointed tip, and 2,500 ft to the tip (I know that's really pushing it, lol) would be amazing in Manhattan, IMO.

Last edited by 599GTO; Jun 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
     
     
  #14133  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY - Cali
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Highly doubtful... I've always had a concern, and I'm pretty sure it will ring true in the future, is that the symbolism of the 1,776' height of the "Freedom Tower" will establish some sort of "gentleman's agreement" and impose an unofficial height limit on lower Manhattan; indeed, all of New York City.

Besides, there is only 220' of wiggle room you can build above the tip of 1 WTC before you reach 2,000' and need an act of Congress to lift the national height limit. That in itself is highly unlikely, especially for a private development like an office/hotel/residential structure.



I disagree, there will be so many supertalls in NY in the future sooner or later one will be built as tall or taller than 1WTC.
     
     
  #14134  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 12:26 AM
Matt's Avatar
Matt Matt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New York, NY / Denver, CO
Posts: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
The "national height limit" is a myth. Structures taller than 2000 ft. need special approval from the FAA, not an "act of congress."

As far as the gentleman's agreement goes, forget about it. As soon as building taller than 1WTC is profitable, you'll see 2000 ft. towers in Manhattan. Did you forget what kind of people operate down there?
There is, in fact, a national height limit of 2,000' imposed by both the FAA and FCC; it can be challenged and exceptions can be made for specific structures (notably TV towers), etc., but the justification behind the argument must be solid and introducing new layers of bureaucracy would turn many developers away. As for the FAA, every tall structure must be approved by them - it's the reason buildings have aircraft warning lights, and why there are different types of aircraft warning lights dependent on where a building is situated within an active flight path. (solid red, flashing red, white strobe).

As for the "gentleman's agreement", we will just have to wait and see. My gut instinct is that the IMPORTANCE of this memorial will establish one. Philadelphia had a similar "unofficial" height limit for the longest time; then the city finally came around in the 1990s. And really, who would want to be the villainous developer to propose building taller than America's beloved "FREEDOM Tower?" Just imagine the bad press.

Admittedly, there are many dynamics at play here (including market demand), but I wouldn't count on a supertall to surpass 1WTC in Manhattan anytime soon. That being said, will 1WTC eventually be eclipsed? Of course, I'm sure of it... but IMO not in this generation.
__________________
This space intentionally left blank
     
     
  #14135  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 12:30 AM
brian.odonnell20 brian.odonnell20 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 390
well... that kind of comes down to financial feasibility, doesn't it. you figure 80 *true* stories is around the max profit-wise.... and 80 true stories with a tall enough spire can get up to about the height of 1wtc. So really its all about how far businesses want to stretch their profit for height..
__________________
"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings."
-Salvador Dali
     
     
  #14136  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 2:21 AM
MadGnome MadGnome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 260
The 2000' "limit" is just a change in the approval process. A big one. It shifts the burden to the developer to prove that the structure won't be a hazard, with no clear procedure for doing so, making it extremely difficult.
Even the KVLY tower only made it because the antenna on top didn't count as part of the structure. I never really understood that rule, since antennas will bring a plane down just as well as the tower structure.
Childs originally wanted a 2200ft tower at WTC1. That was not likely to happen.
     
     
  #14137  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 7:16 AM
Kevin Scott Koepke Kevin Scott Koepke is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 252

Last edited by Kevin Scott Koepke; Jun 14, 2011 at 8:00 AM.
     
     
  #14138  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 11:18 AM
Kanto's Avatar
Kanto Kanto is offline
Twin Towers crusader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 197
I think there is nothing wrong in surpassing 1WTC in height. In fact, it's the exact opposite. It is desirable to surpass 1WTC because 1WTC is small when compared to nowadays skyscrapers and if NY wants to get back into the race, it needs to build something far taller. I really hope that a taller building will be built asap, though the economy has to improve first for that to happen. I would love to see NY with the tallest building in the world again, just as Donald Trump would.
__________________
America and New York deserve to have twin towers again! I am boldly resisting the twin towers taboo enforcers - a.k.a. the bullies who harass folks on this forum just because they have different opinions than these bullies do!
Recipe for the best syrup in the world:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191318
     
     
  #14139  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:03 PM
Fishman92 Fishman92 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
just as Donald Trump would.
As long as it's got nothing to do with Donald Trump I will agree.
     
     
  #14140  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:19 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
I gotta disagree with the tallest in the world sentiment. NYC would need a 2,900 foot building to be the tallest. It would totally destroy the skyline. Do you really think New Yorkers would be happy that something is twice as tall as ESB?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.