HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3121  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 7:25 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
On a side note I would like to mention two impressions that came to me after reading articles about this horrible accident.

1. Gerry Carpenter, the PR guy for UTA, has to be one the most gentle souls I've ever seen in such a position; If I were a reporter, I would have a hard time grilling such a man. Beating up on this guy is like beating up an 8 year old.

2. From the KSL article, "Carpenter said trains in that corridor travel up to 65 mph and can sometimes appear farther away than they actually are." Holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵! 65 mph for TRAX trains in that corridor would be awesome!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3122  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 7:28 AM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
^
65MPH would be really cool, but I thought S-70s could only travel up to 55MPH.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3123  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 1:29 PM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
This is a terrible accident. However, this is the kind of thing that forces companies to build fences and barriers everywhere. I hope UTA doesn't end up fencing the whole thing. That would be ugly, expensive, and mostly useless.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3124  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:02 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
^
65MPH would be really cool, but I thought S-70s could only travel up to 55MPH.
From a sltrib.com article when testing began last month:

Quote:
The new trains will travel up to 65 miles an hour on parts of the new Mid-Jordan line. “The fastest they travel on the other lines is 55 mph,” Carpenter said. The new trains also have improvements in propulsion, motors and air conditioning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3125  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 6:43 PM
joscar's Avatar
joscar joscar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 85
edit

Last edited by joscar; Jul 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3126  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 7:22 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
This graphic from the Tribune makes what happened a little clearer:


After the first train passed, they thought it was safe to cross even though the lights and signals were still on and the gate was down. The sound wall blocked them from being able to see the other train approaching.

They clearly shouldn't have crossed until the arms went up and realized that it was unsafe even though there was no arm blocking the sidewalk on that side. Still- I could almost see myself doing the same thing if I was in a hurry. How tragic.

Many of the neighbors are calling for the line to be shut down until additional safety measures are installed. At the very least, I'd bet that UTA will be adding additional signage at the intersections that are blocked by sound walls like this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3127  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 8:19 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Yeah, this is just very unfortunate. A lot of people will be calling for UTA's head, but UTA has, of course, done everything that is legally required of them in terms of safety measures and construction codes. It is ironic (and sad) that the loop-hole was so tragically exposed while running test trains. No doubt UTA will do something to amend this oversight, but it sure doesn't help public perception.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3128  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 9:14 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836



I was down there earlier today surveying the stations for pedestrian safety signs and I saw a man in an orange vest at this intersection making sure people crossed the tracks safely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3129  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 10:18 AM
SLC4L SLC4L is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 157
It's kind of similar to the station just down the road on 4800 West. The entrance/exit to my neighborhood has a berm that practically hugs the road and makes it impossible to see if any trains are coming your way. It's not really an issue with me, but I get the feeling that at some point in time those arms aren't going to come down and somebody is gonna get hit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3130  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 3:12 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC4L View Post
but I get the feeling that at some point in time those arms aren't going to come down and somebody is gonna get hit.
In Trax 10 + year history, I'm not sure I've heard of a signal arm malfunction, and I'm pretty sure that we would have heard about it because someone would have been killed and UTA would have been at fault. Yes this is tragic, but I don't see that UTA is to blame. Of the very few deaths caused by a Trax train, none have been ruled as UTA's fault, and I don't think this one is any different.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3131  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 3:38 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
After this I'm sure UTA will have to place arms on BOTH sides of the road.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3132  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 2:13 AM
SLC4L SLC4L is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
In Trax 10 + year history, I'm not sure I've heard of a signal arm malfunction, and I'm pretty sure that we would have heard about it because someone would have been killed and UTA would have been at fault. Yes this is tragic, but I don't see that UTA is to blame. Of the very few deaths caused by a Trax train, none have been ruled as UTA's fault, and I don't think this one is any different.

Yeah, I'm not blaming UTA for this one. I guess I'm just a "murphy's law" kind of guy. It's extremely rare, but entirely possible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3133  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:21 AM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
I always thought they would stop the train if a gate failed to lower. They must have sensors to tell if a gate is up or down. I don't think they'd go zooming through.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3134  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 5:08 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
After this I'm sure UTA will have to place arms on BOTH sides of the road.
That goes against Federal Highway code. There really isn't much they can do, except put up warning signs.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3135  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 6:47 AM
H4vok's Avatar
H4vok H4vok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Heber City, UT
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
That goes against Federal Highway code. There really isn't much they can do, except put up warning signs.
I was thinking maybe they could put up one of those round mirrors in convenience stores that would see around the corner...it probably wouldn't last too long before somebody spray-painted it, broke it or stole it though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3136  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:36 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
That goes against Federal Highway code. There really isn't much they can do, except put up warning signs.
They could put up some sort of smaller pedestrian gate that blocks the sidewalk there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3137  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 12:53 AM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
Here are some pictures I took on Tuesday morning at the West Valley Central TRAX station. (If this works)

https://cid-f33206806cd81d4f.photos.live.com/self.aspx/.MobilePhotos/06.jpg
https://cid-f33206806cd81d4f.photos.live.com/self.aspx/.MobilePhotos/08.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3138  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:55 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
They could put up some sort of smaller pedestrian gate that blocks the sidewalk there.
The sad thing is, they won't do anything. It's the same trouble the L.A. Dodgers are having right now after that guy got beat near-to-death after a Giants game. If they put up extra lights and security cameras at Dodger's Stadium now, the plaintiff lawyer can argue the Dodgers are showing "guilt," that they knew everything wasn't up-to-snuff.

It creates a LESS safe environment, because a DOT or a transit agency will sometimes (on advice of their lawyers) delay putting in a safety improvement, to reduce the risk of losing it court.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3139  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 6:20 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
The sad thing is, they won't do anything. It's the same trouble the L.A. Dodgers are having right now after that guy got beat near-to-death after a Giants game. If they put up extra lights and security cameras at Dodger's Stadium now, the plaintiff lawyer can argue the Dodgers are showing "guilt," that they knew everything wasn't up-to-snuff.

It creates a LESS safe environment, because a DOT or a transit agency will sometimes (on advice of their lawyers) delay putting in a safety improvement, to reduce the risk of losing it court.

Hey don't compare UTA to the Dodgers, ever! The reason that person was beat near-to-death after the game is because the family who owns the Dodgers was funneling money by the millions to family members and they spent less and less on the actual team. They cut security in order to give themselves even more cash. It's a huge scandal.

UTA just planned this one poorly by extending the sound wall too close to the crossing. It's going to be an easy fix by either removing a few panels in the sound wall or by creating some kind of pedestrian crossing gate. UTA despite its quirks is a well managed company. The Dodgers are a national embarrassment; MLB just recently took control over the Dodgers from the family who owned and exploited the team.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jun 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3140  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 4:10 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Sorry. I by no means meant to say UTA and the Dodgers are peers.

Only mean to say that if a large agency or company fixes a problem immediately after an accident, a personal injury attorney will use that as evidence in a wrongful death suit. So, sometimes, a large agency or company will postpone repairs until after the threat of the lawsuit is over.

Metrolink (LA) did nothing after its horrible crash in 2009, until it conducted an "investigation," which took years. This way Metrolink's attorney can demonstrate, in some good faith, that the agency had no idea its track was dangerous or its employees were engaging in dangerous behavior (texting). They might have known 10 minutes after the crash happened, but the agency/company doesn't want to say or do anything which could convince a jury that the company/agency is at fault.

So, I don't expect UTA to change anything immediately. But I'm sure they will in the next 1-2 years after the situation has blown over.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:38 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.