HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 4:02 PM

The thing that gets me is that an American company owns the rights to the food places in the airport. It's a Halifax/Canadian airport, there should be Canadian business people who invest in it, it should be Halifax food.
Great to hear the Chickenburger is going in there at least.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:57 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
2010 - Celebration and Growth at Halifax Stanfield International Airport

Halifax, N.S. – At its annual public meeting today, Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) reflected on 2010 as a year of significant milestones for the Authority and Halifax Stanfield International Airport, as well as reported the Authority’s operating and financial results.

“In 2010, we celebrated 10 years as an airport authority, 50 years as an airport, had one of our busiest years for passenger and cargo traffic, completed several capital improvement projects, and delivered a positive bottom line,” says Tom Ruth, HIAA President & CEO. “Our volunteer program also marked its 10-year anniversary, we attained Airport Service Quality Assured certification and we were ranked as one of the best airports in the world for customer service for the eighth straight year,” he says.

HIAA generated $47.3 million in operating revenues ($43.9 million in 2009) and collected $19.7 million in airport improvement fees ($18.2 million in 2009), for total revenues of $67 million ($62.1 million in 2009). Total expenses for 2010 were $65.4 million ($58.8 million in 2009).

Overall in 2010, revenues exceeded expenses by $1.6 million. The surplus revenue is retained and reinvested in Airport operations and development.

HIAA invested $22.7 million ($63.7 million in 2009) in its capital improvement program, including completion of a combined services complex to house HIAA’s emergency response services and airfield maintenance teams; upgrades to the terminal building; and Phase Six (a) of the airfield restoration program.

In 2010, overall passenger traffic increased by 2.7 per cent to 3,508,153 passengers, compared to 3,417,164 in 2009, making it one of the airport’s busiest in its 50-year history. The largest increase was in the transborder sector (non-stop to the United States) where traffic was up by 7.3 per cent to a record of over 350,000 passengers. Contributing to this growth was the introduction of US Airways’ three times a day service to Philadelphia.

On the cargo side, approximately 28,450 metric tonnes of cargo was processed through Halifax Stanfield International Airport, compared to 26,910 metric tonnes in 2009, up 5.7 per cent.

The latest figures available (2009) show Halifax Stanfield International Airport is worth over $1.22 billion to the Nova Scotia economy on an annual basis.

HIAA also reported on its Community Outreach Program that supported over 300 charities and community projects, including Habitat for Humanity, its signature partner.
link: http://www.hiaa.ca/default.asp?id=19....1.262.291.656

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:24 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Final runway upgrade to begin

Fri, May 13 - 4:54 AM

The final phase of a seven-year program to upgrade runways at Halifax Stanfield International Airport will begin on Monday.

The authority says the work will focus on two of the airport’s taxiways and the aircraft parking apron at Gate 24.

To accommodate the upgrading of the taxiway, a secondary runway will be closed. The authority said the airport’s main runway will not be affected by the work.

The work has been scheduled to coincide with the best weather possible but flight schedules could be affected should the weather turn bad, the authority said.

The cost of the final phase is $7.5 million.

The upgrade schedule is as follows:

Phase 1 (Monday to July 18): Gate 24 aircraft parking apron, including replacing the concrete slab at Gate 24. During this time, aircraft will use other gates.

Phase 2 (July 11 to Aug. 30): Taxiway Delta (long) upgrade. It includes milling asphalt surfaces and repaving, reconstructing existing shoulders, replacing the edge drainage system and storm crossings and replacement of the taxiway edge lighting system.

Phase 3 (Aug. 2 to Aug. 30): Taxiway Foxtrot upgrade. It includes milling asphalt surfaces, including shoulders, and repaving, replacing the edge drainage system and replacement of the taxiway edge lighting system.
source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1243061.html

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
There is a news release that was used for information on the HIAA website.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 7:46 PM

On my way to the airport yesterday, my roommate and I got into an argument about why the main passenger airport for Halifax isn't at CFB Shearwater. He figured that it was because the runways were too small or that it was too close to houses. After a quick search on Wikipedia and Google Maps I learned that the runways are the same length, but the houses are creeping up at the ends of the Shearwater runway. 40 years ago though, this probably wasn't a problem.

I know at CFB Comox in BC civillian and military flights operate out of the same airport. Why couldn't this be the same here? It also seems that they only operate the Sea Kings( and Cyclones?) out of Shearwater as opposed to Search and Rescue and the Auroras out of Comox. Does anyone know what the reasons are for this? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks,

Eric

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 8:14 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewjonsson View Post
On my way to the airport yesterday, my roommate and I got into an argument about why the main passenger airport for Halifax isn't at CFB Shearwater. He figured that it was because the runways were too small or that it was too close to houses. After a quick search on Wikipedia and Google Maps I learned that the runways are the same length, but the houses are creeping up at the ends of the Shearwater runway. 40 years ago though, this probably wasn't a problem.

I know at CFB Comox in BC civillian and military flights operate out of the same airport. Why couldn't this be the same here? It also seems that they only operate the Sea Kings( and Cyclones?) out of Shearwater as opposed to Search and Rescue and the Auroras out of Comox. Does anyone know what the reasons are for this? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks,

Eric
I thought it had to do with fog at Shearwater and the associated safety issues for commercial flights.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 8:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I thought it had to do with fog at Shearwater and the associated safety issues for commercial flights.
Lot's of fog at YHZ as well (certainly more than at YQM)

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 8:44 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it did have a brief stint with some civilian operations - but it was the fog that did that in.

The final nail in the coffin was during the 1990's when the decision was made to turn it into a heli-port, thus closing the runways down. The runways are roughly the same, although the shorter 'runway' at CFBS is actually shorter by nearly 2000' to the one at YHZ.

Part of the reason the airshow moved to YHZ is because of the fact the runways at CFBS were closed. They may appear from the airphotos to be still in tact, but on the ground much of the ends of the runways are gouged so aircraft cannot use them and the ILS systems are not in operation (nor are the runway lights).

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it did have a brief stint with some civilian operations - but it was the fog that did that in.
Not really brief.......it was the main civilian Halifax Airport throughout the ‘40s, ‘50s and until YHZ opened in 1960. Airlines serving Shearwater were Trans Canada Airlines (Air Canada) and Maritime Central Airways.

Besides fog, it was also considered unsafe for the new DC-8 & ‘707 Jets just entering service. But in later years Shearwater easily handled the Canadian Forces ‘707s and in June 1995......jets of the world’s leaders when Halifax hosted the G7 summit including Air Force One.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Not really brief.......it was the main civilian Halifax Airport throughout the ‘40s, ‘50s and until YHZ opened in 1960. Airlines serving Shearwater were Trans Canada Airlines (Air Canada) and Maritime Central Airways.

Besides fog, it was also considered unsafe for the new DC-8 & ‘707 Jets just entering service. But in later years Shearwater easily handled the Canadian Forces ‘707s and in June 1995......jets of the world’s leaders when Halifax hosted the G7 summit including Air Force One.
Now see; I thought the main airport during the 40's to the 60's was the one that was over by where Mumford and Halifax Shopping Centre is now? Then YHZ opened?

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Now see; I thought the main airport during the 40's to the 60's was the one that was over by where Mumford and Halifax Shopping Centre is now? Then YHZ opened?
That airport closed in 1941 when the land was leased to the Government for an Army Camp during the war.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 7:27 PM

Thanks guys, this helps. It makes sense too. I pity anyone who has to navigate through the fog that comes off of the harbour some mornings.
Eric

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 8:02 AM

From my trip home:

US check-in area:

Upper level walkway to US area (above corridor to domestic arrivals):

Domestic arrivals area:

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 10:57 AM

Nice Pictures!

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 7:43 PM
we built this city

Thanks for the pics.

Lol, I don't find the bridge models as tacky as most on this site... at least they aren't lighthouses or some sort of fishing reference.

Has anybody heard anything about the airport hotel? It seems like everything moves at less than a snail's pace around here.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 7:45 PM
we built this city

At least there are no stupid, coast reading, anti-development, hippies out by the airport. Right Keith P?

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Posh hotel to land?
Quebec firm eyes airport site

The lobby of the hotel Le Germain in Toronto. The owner, which has six hotels across the country, has been looking in the Halifax area since 2006 for a suitable location and could set up in the airport area in 2012.

By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Sat, May 28 - 4:54 AM

A HIGH-END boutique hotel chain out of Quebec is negotiating to build one of its elegant establishments at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Le Groupe Germain, which has six hotels across the country and a seventh under construction, has been scouting the Halifax area since 2006. The Quebec City outfit, founded in 1988, has been eyeing the airport location in particular for at least three years.

"They’re going to build that, apparently, right at the terminal," a source said Friday of Germain.

An airport official was reluctant to release details Friday.

"We have been in discussion with a hotel developer for a number of months and we continue to pursue that, but I am not in a position to say who it is or what the timeline is specifically," said airport spokesman Peter Spurway.

"We are well along in those discussions, but not to the point where we can confirm anything."

Should those talks end well, the hotel could be built within 17 months.

"If things fall into place, it could be open before Christmas of 2012," Spurway said.

An official from the family-owned business was equally reticent to discuss the details of building the airport hotel.

"At this point right now, I’m not able to comment about that," said Hugo Germain, the chain’s director of development.

Le Groupe Germain owns and operates two brands of hotels.

"Germain is our upper-scale boutique concept that we operate right now in Quebec, Montreal, Toronto and Calgary," Hugo Germain said.

"We have another brand, which is ALT. ALT is a limited-service, three-star, no-frills chic concept that we operate in Quebec City right now and Montreal. And we’re currently in construction right now at Toronto Pearson."

Hugo Germain would not say which brand the chain would prefer to build at Stanfield.

But in 2008, Christiane Germain, the hotel chain’s co-president, told The Chronicle Herald that it hoped to build an ALT at the Halifax airport.

Last year, the chain announced that it was planning to spend as much as $240 million to build 10 ALT hotels over the next five years, including one in Halifax.

The airport wants to see a 150-room hotel attached to the terminal, said Spurway, who confirmed a deal has not been signed.

"We put out a request for proposal several years ago, and this is all part of that great, long process to bring a hotel to the airport and attach it to the terminal building," he said.

In January 2010, the Halifax International Airport Authority, citing a slower than expected recovery from the economic recession, killed a deal with partners New Castle Hotels LLC and Southwest Properties Ltd. to build a hotel within walking distance of the terminal.

That project would have cost about $30 million.

Meanwhile, construction is slated to start in September on a 120-room hotel near the airport.

Mississauga, Ont.-based developer Manga Developers, headed by David Toor, is behind the Marriott Courtyard, which will cost more than $6 million to build.

Manga also owns the Holiday Inn and the Hilton Garden Inn near the airport.

The Marriott Courtyard will include a 5,000-square-foot conference room.

Maxim Construction, headed by Lewis Tiller, is expected do the work on that project, slated to be completed by the fall of 2012.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1245610.html

Wow two more Hotels at the Airport! One at the terminal and a new Marriott Courtyard.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 1:57 PM
Honored Member

Good news about the hotels.

Does anyone know when the runway extension will begin? The runway extension will be an interesting project to observe; hopefully it won't serious affect airline traffic.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 1:59 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
From my trip home:
Nice pictures halifaxboyns. I wonder who built this model? It looks good. I wonder if it was built especially for the airport terminal or if it was in some warehouse for decades?

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Good news about the hotels.

Does anyone know when the runway extension will begin? The runway extension will be an interesting project to observe; hopefully it won't serious affect airline traffic.
I believe preliminary work has already started.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure