HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #181  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 12:23 AM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,813
Ripley museum could come to Atlanta

The Business Chronicle reports that Ripley's is interested in putting a museum downtown and according to sources is considering the shuttered Museum of Patriotism space.


Business Chronicle (subscription required)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #182  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 2:09 AM
reet reet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Downtown Atlanta
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The Business Chronicle reports that Ripley's is interested in putting a museum downtown and according to sources is considering the shuttered Museum of Patriotism space.


Business Chronicle (subscription required)
I guess it's better than an empty store front. Still, I can't say I'm exactly looking forward to it. Maybe it will win me over. Surely these things have improved since the one I saw in Gatlinburg when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #183  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 8:34 PM
ATLaffinity ATLaffinity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 872
I was glad to see that MetroFresh is taking over the Botanical Garden cafe. I think they will start early next year. Right now, they just have snacks and drinks.

Better than the C sanitation rating cafe staffed by space cadets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #184  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 9:00 PM
Chris Creech's Avatar
Chris Creech Chris Creech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 699
I think between Ripley's, the Wax Museum and the Lego Museum, with what's already there and going in that will be a really nice concentration of attractions, and something for everyone's taste.

I still wish the Atlanta Historic Society had put their Olympic wing downtown at the park (where it would have made sense) they could have even moved the torch to CPark (McDonald's would be the natural sponsor - since it look slike a big McDonalds Fry Holder), The Torch where it is even by the interstate is all but forgotten. Then the AHS they could have run shuttles to the main buckhead museum with a combined ticket (maybe with stops at the High and CntrPuppetryArts.

I hear now that the NASCAR museum in Charlotte isn't pulling nearly the numbers that it was projected too and might not be doing all that great now. It might just be the economy but maybe we dodged a bullet with that one.

The GA Music Hall of Fame would be great in Atlanta, it's actually a decent museum but is obviously where it is not purely for political reasons. It just makes me even madder now to remember how Campbell pretty much blew off the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame and handed it to the Cleveland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #185  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 9:23 PM
(four 0 four)'s Avatar
(four 0 four) (four 0 four) is offline
i ain't no bubba
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
something for everyone's taste
...or lack thereof.

With the potential addition of a sightseeing ferris wheel (by Bernie Marcus) and the proposed pirate museum that area will be chock full of the weirdest assortment of tourist traps known to man.
__________________
"I hate small towns because once you've seen the cannon in the park, there's nothing else to do." Lenny Bruce
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #186  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 4:46 PM
rythym rythym is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 71
..and isn't it exciting?!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #187  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 11:21 PM
(four 0 four)'s Avatar
(four 0 four) (four 0 four) is offline
i ain't no bubba
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by rythym View Post
..and isn't it exciting?!
To be honest, I'm really not sure.

Most everything seems to be targeting the same little corner of downtown. It seems that if things were spread out more and/or included a greater mix of residential and retail it would make for a better experience.

In general:
Many of the planned facilites would be medium-sized structures and more than likely would be at least somewhat architecturally significant. To have all of these (in addition to Coke & aquarium) fighting for attention in the same vicinity seems like a waste of (potentially) good architecture. Keep them downtown but just spread things out a bit.

Specific (and personal) opinions:
College Hall of Fame...good fit which should draw crowds.
Health Museum...yawn. Its unique but if I could only pick a few of what's planned, this would be towards the bottom of the list.
Lego...although other cities have them it seems like they are tailored for the area. Should be a good draw.
Civil Rights Museum...Perfect city but I think it should be located more towards Auburn Ave (stop on the trolly!). For broader appeal it should focus on other civil/human rights struggles in additional to African American.
Ripleys...too Gatlinburg/Niagara Falls.
Ferris Wheel...hmmm, haven't decided. Initial reaction, kinda goofy.
Pirate Museum...what coud they possibly have been thinking?!

Did I forget anything? I'm anxious to hear any other opinons!
__________________
"I hate small towns because once you've seen the cannon in the park, there's nothing else to do." Lenny Bruce
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #188  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 2:46 AM
rythym rythym is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 71
I feel like the area around COP is an absolutely ideal spot for these upcoming attractions. And as they are built retail will continue to sprout up due to the increased foot traffic. Of course it will be a while before more residential units are constructed, unless Post happens to build the apartments at AP.
With the museums being built close together I would equate it to the food court at your local mall. Certainly the neons tend to blend together, but it's good to know I can get a slushie and a Greek salad in relatively the same area, however kitschy it may seem.
And I agree with all of your assessments of coming attractions minus the "Eye". It will have an immediate positive impact.

Did I miss some news about a Madam Tussaud's? Or is Creech making things up?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #189  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 9:25 PM
SwimAtl SwimAtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 160
four o four - the rights center does have a broad perspective - they are clear that will be inclusive about all groups - check the website - their mission statement is brilliant
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #190  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 12:39 AM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,813
The Lego center was considering suburban locations also so there's no certainty that it would go downtown.

Re: the pirate museum, it was one guy's idea. And since it was supposed to open about the same time as the dolphin exhibit and we've heard nothing about it since, it may already be dead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #191  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 6:27 PM
shivtim's Avatar
shivtim shivtim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midtown Atlanta
Posts: 2,623
EVOS in Viewpoint is re-opening this Friday, March 21st.
Meanwhile work on Five Napkin Burger at 10th and Piedmont appears to be coming along nicely. They've changed the building quite a bit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #192  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 6:32 PM
shivtim's Avatar
shivtim shivtim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midtown Atlanta
Posts: 2,623
I guess this falls under entertainment news...
Construction on Six Flags' new coaster, "Daredevil Dive," is coming along nicely. This picture (from Six Flags' facebook page) is from last week:



They have since completed the entire lift/drop structure and are working on the inversions. All of the footers are already in place, so it should be swift work from here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #193  
Old Posted May 11, 2011, 5:30 PM
trainiac's Avatar
trainiac trainiac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta - Grove Park
Posts: 1,064
Ihop

Anyone notice the IHOP that magically appeared on Ponce at the old Krystals building (more recently South Fork cafe)

Did they tear down and rebuild or just remodel? Must have happened when I was on vacation

Anyone been to the Daiquiri Factory yet?
__________________
Atlanta history blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #194  
Old Posted May 11, 2011, 7:59 PM
shivtim's Avatar
shivtim shivtim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midtown Atlanta
Posts: 2,623
^Not sure on those two, although I did hear that the Daiquiri Factory failed its first health inspection.

Five Guys in Spire is now open. Work is progressing swiftly on "Five Napkin Burger" at Piedmont and 10th.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #195  
Old Posted May 12, 2011, 12:42 AM
PedestriAnne PedestriAnne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Anyone notice the IHOP that magically appeared on Ponce at the old Krystals building (more recently South Fork cafe)

Did they tear down and rebuild or just remodel? Must have happened when I was on vacation

Anyone been to the Daiquiri Factory yet?
That's been there for a while. ("A while" as in probably a year.) But, it also seemed to me to just sprout out of nowhere. If I'm not mistaken it was a tear down and re-build.

Do you mean the Daiquiri Factory on W. Peachtree? I didn't even know it was there, but I happened to be Zipcar-ing by Sunday night and that place was LIVE. It was totally stuffed with people inside and out. You'd think they were giving the drinks away.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #196  
Old Posted May 12, 2011, 3:15 PM
trainiac's Avatar
trainiac trainiac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta - Grove Park
Posts: 1,064
Wow, glad they had some people there. Hopefully they're finding their audience.

I noticed Ricardo Ullio has most of the interior finished at 5th & Ptree and it looked like it was full of prospective employees. Talked to him briefly and he said he's planning on a soft opening Saturday then open for lunch and dinner next week. The patio will be a huge improvement over the last few tenants.
__________________
Atlanta history blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #197  
Old Posted May 12, 2011, 4:47 PM
ATLaffinity ATLaffinity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 872
I thought Daiquiri Factory was going to be dead on arrival. I was wrong. It's packed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #198  
Old Posted May 14, 2011, 4:14 PM
atlantaguy's Avatar
atlantaguy atlantaguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Area code 404
Posts: 3,333
You guys should check out the pool area of the new Melia Hotel at West Peachtree & North Ave. This hotel is gung-ho on the city, and wants the pool to be quite the new venue. I had lunch there the other day and was blown away.

This is their first property in the U.S., and they seriously plan on making a big impact.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #199  
Old Posted May 14, 2011, 5:35 PM
dirtybird dirtybird is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
You guys should check out the pool area of the new Melia Hotel at West Peachtree & North Ave. This hotel is gung-ho on the city, and wants the pool to be quite the new venue. I had lunch there the other day and was blown away.

This is their first property in the U.S., and they seriously plan on making a big impact.
Interesting; I will check it out. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #200  
Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:56 AM
micropundit micropundit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,820
TOWN Brookhaven adds more restaurants

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.